PDA

View Full Version : cases cutting bullets

craveman85
07-31-2010, 12:42 PM
i started reloading for the first time this morning using a lee classic loader. i deburred, degreased, and flared my casings. put them into the die to neck size them. primed them, charged them. when i go to put a bullet in them they always shave a little bit off the bullet. my bore slugged out .4575 and im using a .459 bullet should i re size the bullets? didn't seem to have this problem with my hornady casings just my nickle plated Remington ones.

Wayne Smith
07-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Nickle plated is probably your problem. I'd say those have inadequate case flare. One way to check is to use something as simple as a screwdriver to increase your flare and try loading those.

geargnasher
07-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Why did you flare the neck before you sized it?

Gear

fredj338
07-31-2010, 01:51 PM
If you are seating & crimping at the same time, this can cause shaving. I agree w/ gear, why bell then neck size. It removes the bell?
Size & decapp, then deburr if needed, then flare/bell, then charge, seat & crimp.

craveman85
07-31-2010, 02:05 PM
sorry i had my order wrong i did size before flaring. im not crimping rounds since they are going in a single shot. when i put them back in the die to load the bullet back in it closes it back up a bit. im using a lee classic loader which means you have to load it in the sizing die.

Tom-ADC
07-31-2010, 02:17 PM
This is for your 45-70? I'd invest in a case sizer, they really don't bell the case as much as expanding it, I use the Spence Wolf one and like it.

07-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Using the sizing die as a seater die won't work for a fat boolit, because the die is sizing the case down as the fat boolit is being seated...thus the shaving. Don't think your setup will work for that boolit.

Tom-ADC
07-31-2010, 02:23 PM
This is what I'm using but as noted may not work with your set up.
http://www.the45-70book.com/Expander-Plug-Only-for-Lee-Die

jsizemore
07-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Try backing the seating die out and lower the seating stem till you get the right OAL.

montana_charlie
07-31-2010, 06:48 PM
I'd invest in a case sizer, they really don't bell the case as much as expanding it, I use the Spence Wolf one and like it.

Try backing the seating die out and lower the seating stem till you get the right OAL.

Both of you guys missed the point.
He is using a Lee Loader to assemble his ammunition...not a press and dies.

CM

Tom-ADC
07-31-2010, 08:07 PM
This is what I'm using but as noted may not work with your set up.
http://www.the45-70book.com/Expander...ly-for-Lee-Die

MC you missed the follow up post did see what he was using.
Was a suggestion and hint to try something else.
So what would you suggest to help him out?

243winxb
07-31-2010, 10:10 PM
lee classic(hammer) loader does not have an expander. It is not make to load lead. You need a Lyman "M" type die, or what Tom-ADC posted.. How is bullet fit when loading into a fired case? You may not have to size brass at all with fat bullets.(single shot)

craveman85
08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
bullets loaded fine into a fired hornady case. maybe these will be fine when i fire them all off. gotta wait for the damn gun to come back from remington though