PDA

View Full Version : first crop damage permit day.

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2010, 07:15 AM
started shooting deer today for the farmer. It was kind of slow as the weather was warm and we set up on the wrong side of the field. Seems like if you set up on one side they come out somewhere else. Only could get one deer a small doe to come within killing range. Took her at 295 yards with a 3006 shooting 150 hornadys. Pretty much just punched a hole through the little doe. Not much expansion. But like Ted would say its all backstraps. Were going back out sunday night and hopefully it will be more productive. Going to give the 280 featherweight a run then.

redneckdan
07-31-2010, 08:34 AM
*jealous*

I've got some loads i'm working up for the .375 H&H this year. Plus the 429640 Group buy to try in my 629. Hopefully it works out this year. Last two years I never even bought a licence....seems like classes get real crazy right about the end of november and I don't have time to hunt.

Gee_Wizz01
07-31-2010, 08:47 AM
LLoyd, are you allowed to keep the deer up there when you kill them on a crop damage permit? I grew up in Texas and we had to either let them lay or call the game warden. The game warden would take them to the orphanages and some of the shelters. I dont know if that has changed or not. We used to grow oats and corn, and one evening we counted 200 deer on a 75 acre field.

G

DIRT Farmer
07-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Wish I had enough deer for a DP permit. After EHD went through the deer herd a few years ago the population has not came back. where I could see 25 to 30 driving between the farms to check cattle some evenings I don't see any, the most 3 to 4. And the state DNR wants more does killed off I think management here has more to do with selling tags than managing deer. I won't shoot a doe, nor allow one to be shot on the farm untill we have some reproduction.

Trey45
07-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Our depredation permits here in NC are kinda weird. Landowners can put anyone they want on the tag, but they have to keep the meat on the property the deer was shot on. I may have misread the regulations but that's the way i understood it.

Johnch
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
I could have started the other day

Here in Ohio
We can keep the meat
No bucks unless you want to turn the rack over to the Game Warden
The meat can only be used by the person who's name is on the permit , family or a non profit Org.

The permits I have are good from the day they are issued to Sept 23
As Sept 24 regular bow season starts

John

Lloyd Smale
08-01-2010, 07:23 AM
We can keep the meat up here or give it away to anyone but the person who has it must have the tag. Bucks and does are allowed but the owner of the farm doesnt want us shooting bucks.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
A "farmer's" season started here is morning.

This is beyond deperdation permits, and is an any legal weapon, anterless season for ELK.

The animal must be outside Nat. Forest Boundary and within one mile of a cultivated field.

Toooooooo hot right now!

Son and I did early morning walks three days last week. First day lots! of deer but no fresh elk sign. Second day, zip/zero. Third day more deer and fresh - over night - elk tracks.

However, by myself, it is just too hot to be getting an elk sized critter down.

This season runs for 6 weeks, so maybe a cool streach will hit.

I hope so, as my 45/70 is about ready!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot