PDA

View Full Version : Reloading moved from cool to hot location

ghh3rd
07-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Started off loading in a cool house, then moved to a semi air conditioned garage, and now am setting up in a garage that stays HOT all day (90's in the garage).

I'm concerned about the effect of the heat (and any humidity) on my equipment, including an RCBS chargemaster, my powders, etc. Should I move stuff in and out of the house, or based on other's experience, should it be Ok out there?

mooman76
07-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Moving it in and out would be worse for your equiment as it would attract moisture but I would keep powder and primer in a cool place. I deal with the heat and then some but I have next to no humidity so it's not a problem for me. You may have to condition your tools with something. Keep a close eye on them. I here Kroil works good.

Doble Troble
07-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Yes, the moisture is worse than the heat. Changes from dry to humid cause problems with condensation too.

When I lived in Tallahasse I reloaded in the garage in the cooler months. Everything stayed right there in the summer months - I didn't have any other place to put it. I didn't have any problems after three years.

Primers I had stored there shot fine years after in NC.

ghh3rd
07-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Guess condensation is a good point. Perhaps I'll just set it up and leave it all there and see how it goes. I suppose any humidity that the powders may pick up by keeping in the garage and opening/pouring wouldn't be as bad as if I took them from a nice cool place to a hot one and did the same thing.

I know that a lot of plastic stuff in my parents "back room" as they called it (finished unconditioned former garage) got fragile after years in the Florida heat. Hope my stuff is more durable.

MT Gianni
07-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Junior kept his powder in an old refrigerator. He took it out to bring it to room temp before loading. It might be worth looking into in hot and humid climates.

qajaq59
07-31-2010, 07:28 AM
ghh3rd, I'm a bit east of you and all my stuff lives in a hot garage. If I know I'm not going to use something, like say an iron mold, for an extended period, I'll oil it up well before I put it away. Otherwise, I've had no problems.