PDA

View Full Version : Critiques of my casting setup and processes and suggestions

10mmShooter
07-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to show and discuss my processes for casting and see if I can make improvements. I've been changing and tweaking things in my short casting career, only been seriously casting for about 2 years now(reloading for 20), the tips I have picked up on this site have been invaluable to me.

In my example I was not shooting for high production I just wanted to find a rhythm and rate that I could maintain and still get quality bullets.

Casting session was from 930am to 3pm on Thursday, 5.5 hrs...in 95 degree weather and 90%humidity heat index was 102 degrees that was the most I could take for the day. My left hand being the mold handling hand was starting to cramp at that point.

I ran 2 x RCBS 180g 10mm LRN molds, and 2x RCBS 150g .38 LSWC and for the last 90 mins I added in a 250g 44 LSWC.(all RCBS two cavs)

Final tally was 5.75 lbs of .44 160 rds, 17.75 lbs of 180g 10mm 680 rds, and 24.5 lbs of 150g .38 LSWC 1150 rounds. Total 48lbs of #2 alloy used for 2000 rds roughly 360 rds per hour average for the session. Needless say I was moving briskly the whole time, I stopped briefly to hit the head and keep my 32 glass of water full for time, but no lunch break, straight through. I started with just the 2x .38 molds for the first hour, then added the 2x 10mm molds, staying at 4 molds for most of the day and finished the final 90 mins running 5x molds by adding in my .44 mold.

Here are my observations,

For me I have found the maximum number of molds(speaking only of 2 cavity molds) I can handle is probably 4 (4x 2cav). Even as fast I was moving just the time spent handling and manipulating the 5 molds, I could see that my mold temps were dropping quickly. So for the future I'm stopping at 4 molds max.

Also in my case I new I was going to make a run at 5 molds, so I had previously used all my molds and new that they all dropped bullets easily and would not hang, I already new how I wanted my sprue plates to be set up (ps no smoking or mold release necessary). No way to use that many molds if your bullets dont drop from the mold.

Also plenty of alloy on hand and the capacity to melt it quickly, I normally run my Lyman Pro Mag(20lber) and the little Lyman mini-mag(10lb) at the same time to top off. But I recently replaced the Minimag with a 1500 watt hot plate, a great addition, I use the mini mag's old steel pot on the hot plate to melt my sprues and keep the Pro-Mag topped off, so I dont add ingots directly to the Pro Mag everything was pre melted on the hot plate.(allowing for very consitent temps over the day) Also it was critical in pre-heating all of the molds, actually I keep over heating the molds on the hot plate and to let them cool :)

Pot temp was kept at 700-725, I monitored it via my thermometer.

Most bullets dropped were nice and shinny, very litte frosting, I really wasnt expecting any since with that many molds, they had time to cool nicely. When I used to run just one or two molds, I always had to slow down, because I would start to get excessive heat in the molds, not a problem with 4-5 molds going at once.

Well here is the pic of my setup, I dont have to move to any, I stand in one spot and can reach my pots, all my tools are in reach and can even stretch out my left arm some as I extend the down to drop the bullets on my tshirt. I built the table at 42 inches so when standing at the pot my left arm is at 90 degrees as I pour. :cbpour:

Oh yea no spell check on the picture....I noticed the spelling errors...oh well you get the picture.
http://www.keithrussell.net/4mould.jpg

Taylor
07-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Looks good,but I believe there is room for a beer between the pot and channel locks.

atr
07-30-2010, 06:26 PM
looks like a palace compared to my set up....lol.....

stephen perry
07-30-2010, 07:32 PM
But what bullet Caster isn't. Scalding hot lead ready to jump on your body parts at anytime. My only suggestion would be to do what you did in 2 Casting sessions. I'm afraid you try that again and you are going to get un-lucky and drop some lead on you hand or foot.

Pistol bullets are easier for me to Cast, I have less culls. Rifle bullets I cull more. Bases are what I require and weight difference .5 oz or less, I sort in 3 piles and then combine to make 2 piles.

Good Casting area. My Casting area is similar except I don't use a hot plate and I Cast out of a Lee 4, Lee 10, and a Lee 20 for dipping. I use my SAECO bottom for smelting.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

10mmShooter
07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi Stephen,

My welding gloves are there you just can see them behind the pot, also I wear glasses, and long blue jeans always, and leather shoes(even yesterday in 95 degree weather). I do cheat and wear a t-shirt given the heat in Charlotte.

44man
07-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi Stephen,

My welding gloves are there you just can see them behind the pot, also I wear glasses, and long blue jeans always, and leather shoes(even yesterday in 95 degree weather). I do cheat and wear a t-shirt given the heat in Charlotte.
For that weather you should be able to do away with the pot and also cook breakfast right on the table too! :kidding:

Dillon
07-31-2010, 11:11 AM
sweet setup!

HeavyMetal
07-31-2010, 11:26 AM
The set up shows some thought no doubt about it.

The only thing I would change would be the collection of sprues. These are pretty darn hot as the come off the sprue plate so I just chuck them back in the pot.

This reduces one more step, I don't stretch to get to a "container", and I don't have to pour cold metal back in the pot and wait for it to "catch up".

I figure dropping the sprue as you cut it will most likely add a couple more boolits per mold cycle in time savings.

Other than coming up with a refrigerated beverage holder I think you set just right!

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-31-2010, 12:11 PM
My only suggestion would be to shrink the picture to about 700 in width . . . then we don't have to scroll sideways to see it all, or read those long sentences . . .

I'm not quite that neat . . .

Mike W1
07-31-2010, 01:21 PM
We'll see if I stuck the photo on properly or not. My sprues get dumped into the removeable boxes hanging on the black gizmo on the left of the pots which is where the bullets are dumped onto pads, then rolled into collection boxes on the back when cooled down. Drips from the pot are easily slid into the little box front of the pots. The light colored box has a fan built in cooling the sprue cutter while I switch and fill the other mould. A slight twist back and forth when pouring or dumping is all that's required. The pots have homemade shelves to rest the moulds on while warming the lead initially. I generally prewarm the ingots on those shelves while actually casting. Your setups prettier but I think mine condenses the operations into a smaller area. Course all I use are 2-cavity moulds and it's sized accordingly.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1074.jpg

fredj338
07-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Everything looks great, but I would suggest working w/ no more than 3 molds. It will keep mold temps up & you'll get more bullets handling less equip. If casting w/ 2cavs, I rarely use more than two molds. It seems much faster than when I do go with 3.

10mmShooter
07-31-2010, 01:56 PM
fred

Interesting you mentioned that, my first hour was only with two of the .38 molds, and my production was right at 400 bullets, thats the only hour period I checked for production, I didnt check again until the end of day when it was an average for the 5.5 hours. So yeah throughout the day I dropped off 50 rds on average, could have been fatigue. I'll have to consider that.