PDA

View Full Version : Underweight Boolits

glock19stang
07-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey guys I have a question concerning boolit weight. I know many say that 5gr variance is not an issue. Well how about 15.974 grs difference?

I have the Lee 124 gr. TC mold. My boolits, the entire cast session, were weighting 108.026grs. Not one boolit varied. How do I improve the weight? Or am I safe to load them with 115gr data? What do you guys honestly recommend?

Thanks in advance guys.

RobS
07-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Many molds don't come out at specified weight and that's nothing to worry about. If you have good fillout and sharp bands and bases then that's what the mold is going to cast at with the alloy you are using. Your mold does cast pretty light however as most Lee molds cast heavy and if you are using WW alloy or similar and don't like the light side of it then I would research here and ask those that have this mold if this is normal. If it isn't then I would send it back.

You will also be fine using the 115 grain load info as your bullet is a touch lighter and will generate less pressure generally speaking.

glock19stang
07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks a lot RobS. At first I thought it was an air bubble. Yet my entire batch came out the same. About 250+ boolits. Time to load them up to 115 grain.

Thanks once again

snsbpb
07-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I have lee 124 grain TL 9mm mold and mine drops 119 grains. My approximate alloy is 2sn 4sb 96pb, but I may have a little more sn and pb in there than that. I would love to have a hardness tester to not waste tin and antimony.

What is your approximate alloy and what are you using for tin and antimony?

Bill*
07-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Personally, if ALL the boolits were to weigh out identical to the thousandth of an grain, I would check my scale with checkweights or something. Seems kinda weird to me. There should be SOME variance. Just my thoughts

glock19stang
07-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the tip Bill. I will look into using another scale just for reassurance.

snsbpb I have not used any tin yet, just pure lead and a few scraps of WW as I have no been able to find a full batch of WW. I am going to test pure lead just to see how bad the leading is. (this is range ammo). And I have some with pure lead and WW. and Soon just straight WW. Trying to get an actual performance out come.

Doby45
07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I also have the Lee 124gr TC mold and mine drops at a healthy 127gr, but I also removed the bevel base on it.

Colorado4wheel
07-29-2010, 09:27 PM
My 124 gr TL cast at 118gr.

Bret4207
07-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Personally, if ALL the boolits were to weigh out identical to the thousandth of an grain, I would check my scale with checkweights or something. Seems kinda weird to me. There should be SOME variance. Just my thoughts

My thoughts exactly.

cbrick
07-30-2010, 08:29 AM
I have the Lee 124 gr. TC mold. My boolits, the entire cast session, were weighting 108.026grs. Not one boolit varied.

What do you guys honestly recommend? Thanks in advance guys.

Hhmmm . . .

Perhaps a new scale?

I also recommend NOT EVER weighing powder on this scale that weighs to a thousands of a grain.

Rick

Echo
07-30-2010, 08:53 AM
+1 for a different scale. I am guessing you are using an electronic scale. Weigh one of the boolits, note the weight, take it off and hit it a couple of licks with a file. Weigh again.

Then weigh one, take it off, put a drop of glue on it, and weigh again.

Then donate the scale to Good Will...

AZ-Stew
07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Well, that pretty well takes care of the issues with the scale.

Either that, or I want you to cast all my boolits. Anyone who can cast a batch that's consistent to .001 grain can make a career for himself.

Regards,

Stew

Cowboy T
07-30-2010, 09:24 PM
I have the Lee 124gn RN mould. It throws the boolits at 125gn. All of my Lee moulds cast just slightly heavier than rated with straight WW.

Sounds like there is indeed something else going on here....