PDA

View Full Version : One or Three - That is the question

JTknives
07-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I have been playing around with a bullet design for a little while now and i almost happy with it but just a bit more tweaking. what im wondering is if one of these boolits will preform better then the other. there both the same, same weight, length, meplat size and even the Lube groove is the same depth. the weight is not perfectly the same but its with in a .5gr so its close enough. is there an advantage to having 3 lube grooves over just one or does one lube groove provide less air resistance then 3. with 3 your spreading out the lube more meaning less thicker bearing bands and also you can only ill one or two lube grooves if you need less lube? i really have no idea so i thought i would post the pictures here and get the experts advice. thinks.

http://www.jtcustomknives.com/calendar/files/1/200gr1LG.jpg

http://www.jtcustomknives.com/calendar/files/1/200gr3LG.jpg

HeavyMetal
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
I would go with the single lube groove design.

less hassle to cut a cherry, less hassle to set up a lubesizer, particularly the Star, and I think the thicker driving bands are less likely to "skid" if your playing with softer alloy's.

JTknives
07-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks, that's what i was thinking as well

MtGun44
07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Single lube groove designs have been kind to me many times. I also have had some
notable successes with multigroove designs.

As to lubing with a Star, I definitely prefer single grooves, they are far easier to set up.

Bill

JTknives
07-28-2010, 10:27 AM
im just going to pan lube them as i don't have a lubing set up

chboats
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Not sure what you are going to be using these boolits in but I read a post by BaBore about the same question for 45-70 boolits. He made two molds the same except the number of groves and bands. 462 420 GC TBR 1 and 462 420 GC TBR 2. From what he said he had better accuracy with the multi lub groves than he did with the single lub grove. I personally don't have enough experience with different boolits to make a judgement. Just thought I would pass along what I read from BaBore

Carl

JTknives
07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Not sure what you are going to be using these boolits in but I read a post by BaBore about the same question for 45-70 boolits. He made two molds the same except the number of groves and bands. 462 420 GC TBR 1 and 462 420 GC TBR 2. From what he said he had better accuracy with the multi lub groves than he did with the single lub grove. I personally don't have enough experience with different boolits to make a judgement. Just thought I would pass along what I read from BaBore

Carl

its a 10mm glock so .401

thx997303
07-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Nope. .402 - .403

If you recall, your barrel measured .401 when you slugged it. :mrgreen:

JTknives
07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Nope. .402 - .403

If you recall, your barrel measured .401 when you slugged it. :mrgreen:

ya, what i meant was that my gun was .401cal. going to be making the lathe cutter for this boolit tonight :mrgreen:

Dannix
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I think the thicker driving bands are less likely to "skid" if your playing with softer alloy's.
Interesting point. I'd never thought of this.

From what he said he had better accuracy with the multi lub groves than he did with the single lub grove.
Got a link Carl?

Blammer
07-28-2010, 01:47 PM
multi lube grooves may be better for those tumble lubing.

it's simple enough to check for bearing surface.

Depending on your sizing/lubing operation may help determine what you want.

I like the multi lube grooves, because you don't have to lube all of them if you don't want to.

armoredman
07-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Dumb question - aftermarket barrel? nice looking boolit, my tyros' response is the single groove.

JTknives
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Dumb question - aftermarket barrel? nice looking boolit, my tyros' response is the single groove.

yep, Lone Wolf barrel

Dannix
07-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I like the multi lube grooves, because you don't have to lube all of them if you don't want to.
I've noticed the occasional pic around here of a boolit lubed on the last grove alone.

How do you determine if you should lube all the grooves or not? Simply shoot it and see if it leads? You can tell based on experience with a given level of bearing surface? If you're only going to lube some of the grooves in a multi groove boolit, should you always start from the bottom up?

Edit: Based on the posts here should one consider compromising at dual lube grooves if you want to go multi groove but also plan on shooting softer alloy?

noylj
07-29-2010, 10:31 PM
One groove for autos and three for revolvers.

MtGun44
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Keith's are all for revolvers, all one groove.

Bill

Doby45
07-30-2010, 02:55 PM
ALL my revolver boolits are one groove.