PDA

View Full Version : trapped gas checks

XWrench3
07-28-2010, 06:01 AM
i decided to tear down 20 rounds that i made up with gas checked boolits. in 16 of the 20 i tore down, the gas check remained in the case neck (300 win mag). somehow, i need to get them out. the 2 ways i can think of is 1) try to push one side in, cocking the check sideways (the risk there is it may very well fall into the case). and 2) drill a hole in the check, and try to dig it out that way. the 2nd idea seems rather dangerous to me (risk of the powder igniting). is there a time honored tried and true way to get these out without getting hurt?

missionary5155
07-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Good morning
What I do is as you were thinking. I push the check on one side of the circumfrance with a thin stiff wire gently until that side finally rolls down into the wider case area. Do not push the check further. I then grab a handy medical grabber with a thin nose and reach in there and extract it gently. With care the check can be salvaged.

sagacious
07-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Good morning
What I do is as you were thinking. I push the check on one side of the circumfrance with a thin stiff wire gently until that side finally rolls down into the wider case area. Do not push the check further. I then grab a handy medical grabber with a thin nose and reach in there and extract it gently. With care the check can be salvaged.
Exactly what I was gonna say. Some long-nose hemostats will fish-out the checks.
Good luck.

okksu
07-28-2010, 06:47 AM
A narrow set of tweezers has worked for me. Manipulate the GC as suggested and they can be eased out without any damage to the GC.

Thecyberguy
07-28-2010, 07:21 AM
I used a miniature set of needle nose.
Have a good 'un,thecyberguy

qajaq59
07-28-2010, 07:27 AM
I do the same. I have a pair of needle nose that are very thin but quite long for the job.

Take your time, don't get frustrated and it will work just fine.

44man
07-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Only way, just tip them and pull them out.
My suggestion is to fix the mold so gas checks fit tight. They should not come off at anytime until the boolit is smashed into a steel target.

Echo
07-28-2010, 11:19 AM
I had a similar situation with my XP-100 in 30-223. Pulled some GC boolits, and left the GC's in. Took them to the range and shot them out. Got a LOT of ribbing from a chum, shooting GC's down range - asked what my scores were...

thx997303
07-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I have a gas check stuck in a 45-70 case.

I tried a hammer puller. It didn't work.

Guess I'll have to push it in.

qajaq59
07-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Guess I'll have to push it in. Don't push it all the way in if you can help it. Just gently push it on one side so it rotates. Then you can grab it with a pair of needle nosed pliars and pull it out. It it goes all the way in with the powder it'll just be harder to get out.

Blammer
07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
needle nose pliers should work just fine getting them out.

geargnasher
07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
I've never had that problem, I use Hornady crimp-on checks and CORRECT CASE NECK TENSION. If you do that, they won't pull off with either an inertial puller or "Universal Manual Collet Extractor" (wire cutters and a single-stage press).

If I was in that predicament, I would try the turning trick first, that's how you get freeze plugs out of engine blocks. Tap with a punch on one side to turn it 90* in the hole and pry out or pull out with pliers. Even if you push it into the case, no big deal. Shake out the powder, hold the case over your head while you poke up into the neck with a wire to get the check to stick sideways in the neck, carefully grab it with tweezers, hemostats, or long nodelneese pliers and you're done.

You might try shooting them out, but depending on how slow your powder is it may not ignite well and could leave it in the barrel, but could just knock it out with a cleaning rod.

Gear

beagle
07-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Push them in, drain the powder. Then slightly press in on the entire neck to cause it to bend a bit. The GCs will drop out and you can neck size and go on about your loading./beagle

sundog
07-28-2010, 10:24 PM
what beagle said. But I try real hard to not get to that point. Been there a time of two, though.

XWrench3
07-31-2010, 09:23 AM
thanx guys. i got them out. i guess i seated them a little on the deep side, because on every one of them when i just tapped them, they fell right in. some actually fell in as soon as i set the punch itself on them.