PDA

View Full Version : W/W worth?

rockrat
08-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Been years(decades) since I bought any wheelweights but now running low. Guy has a bunch already cast into 1lb ingots. Whats it going for nowadays? Thanks

jhalcott
08-26-2006, 09:42 PM
try to get it for a return favor if possible.I just got half a 5 gallon bucket of ww's just for asking. Many of the tire chain's around here are NOT giving them out. Some thing about the EPA requiring them to be recycled. I heard of prices going from .25 to 1.00 a pound for them,but so far I've been getting them free. I have to smelt them into ingots myself though. The trash man asked about all those little metal things in my trash can once.!!

ANeat
08-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Actually I might bee a little leary of WW that someone else cast into ingots. I see a couple of Zinc WW every time I melt down a bucketfull here lately:roll: If someone doesnt know to keep the temps at a reasonable level and get them out they may just melt them in with the lead:(

You might check and see what the local scrap metal places are giving for lead, then offer a few cents more per pound.

Adam

jar-wv
08-26-2006, 10:27 PM
So far, Ive been able to amass about a ton & a half of em for free, but have noticed lately the tire shops are starting to charge for them, if they will sell them at all. I've noticed anywhere from 10 to 30 bucks per five gallon bucket in this area. I can usually smelt down about 100-120 lbs per bucket, so I'd guess, oh well, you do the math. I'd also be a bit leary about buying what someone else smelted, unless I questioned their technique.

jar

Billwnr
08-26-2006, 11:12 PM
My limit is $1.00 for linotype. I hold my buys of wheelweights to about $0.25 per pound. A little less if it's still in wheelweight form and not ingots.

rockrat
08-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks. The tire stores are selling their WW's now. Use to get them for free. Guy wants .35/lb which I figured was too high, but if I bought 1000 lbs then would get them cheaper. Don't need any lino, have plenty of that stuff I bought 30 years ago!