PDA

View Full Version : A slightly more deadly tinsel fairy...

ilcop22
07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
This just occured downtown Chicago:

http://wbbm.cbslocal.com/2010/07/27/explosion-reported-near-elston-and-north/

The dangers of moisture plague all smelters.

MtGun44
07-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Ouch!

That would be the ORANGE tinsel fairy on steroids.

geargnasher
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
I took a steam train trip a few years back and the conductor was reciting some factoids about the machine. One thing that stuck with me is she said that water, when coverted to steam, increases in volume 1,200 times at one atmosphere. At 2,000+ degrees, that would happen almost instantly to water under a copper melt. I can't imagine being burned by molten copper, that must be terrible.

Gear

Changeling
07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
I sure hope the guy pulls through this. The thought of going out that way really sucks!!!

leadman
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I think it might be better to fall into the melt rather than have it cover you like this. At least the pain would stop sooner.

MJR007
07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I am just a working man, but I wish the best to him and family.

BrianB
07-28-2010, 09:58 PM
That is a sad state of affairs. I feel for him and his family. What almost bothered me as much was a comment, the only comment, left on the site. Someone said what should have been done to avoid that horrible situation. Funny, the person who made the comment had no idea how the water got into the mix, but they were quick to say how it could have been avoided. I only wish I was that smart so I could just randomly correct people and their actions. It is sad that in such a bad situation, someone has to be assertive, step in and say "well, if you had done this, it would not have happened" when in reality, they have no idea what they are talking about.

Like the rest of you, I'm praying for him and his recovery.

9.3X62AL
07-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I hope the story's text about the injuries not being life-threatening are indeed true. Burns are a COMPLEX medical issue, though--and a LOT can go wrong during treatment and recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to the worker and his family. Let's all be mindful of such events when we smelt--melt--or pour.

Critic--a person who produces nothing, but expresses opinions on everything.

geargnasher
07-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Those who cannot do or teach criticize.

Gear

MtGun44
07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Steam is not to be underestimated. Helpful in the right machines, very dangerous
when it gets out of control.

Anyone ever see the Mythbusters demonstration of what a hot water heater does
without safeties? 300 foot rocket that will go out the top of a 3 story building from
the basement with no problem.

Superheated steam.

Bill

OutHuntn84
07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Wow poor guy.

Mk42gunner
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Steam is not to be underestimated. Helpful in the right machines, very dangerous
when it gets out of control.

Anyone ever see the Mythbusters demonstration of what a hot water heater does
without safeties? 300 foot rocket that will go out the top of a 3 story building from
the basement with no problem.

Superheated steam.

Bill

I saw that episode Bill, as I remember they had a lot of trouble getting the waterheater to make steam and launch.

Like Al said burns are very easy to get infected. They can be very painful during the healing process.

Robert