PDA

View Full Version : production pot problems

Munkeyjoe
07-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I would advise against anyone melting zinc in their LEE pot. Zinc can/will eat right through the mild steel liner of the LEE pot.

Just a head's-up! :drinks:

Really?? why is that if I may ask? I think I have done it before but I am now having issues with my 4-20 Lee....... And this might be the answer!

Munkeyjoe,
Zinc will slowly dissolve ordinary carbon steel like water will dissolve a block of salt. The zinc does not need to melt the steel, in the same way that water does not need to melt salt to dissolve it. The zinc will erode and dissolve the steel, and if one melts much zinc in a mild steel pot, they will soon enounter this. It is for this reason that the LEE pots are not warranted for use with molten zinc.

If one is not expecting this to happen, the zinc will continue to eat away at the steel until..... one day..... a pinhole suddenly forms and there's a thin stream of molten zinc squirting out of the melting vessel. It's enough to get your attention real quick, and you'll remember it for a long time afterwards.

If you specify what the problems are with your LEE pot, I can comment on whether it's caused by zinc or not, and I or another can perhaps help remedy your LEE 4-20 pot problem.

Ok well this is a snip from another thread that I am moving here to not derail the current topic on the original thread.
NOW my Rig of discussion is the Lee production pot IV like this:
http://www.luremaking.com/images/production-pot-IV.jpg

NOW this was my first "rig" as before this I just used a casting ladel over a Plumber torch and then pour....(I know...:redneck:) Its still in service BUT I am running into some issues as it ages...

drip-ity drip drop...
OK well this is a kinda big problem. It constantly drips. even after twisting the Valve rod and bounceing the rod up and down all i can do is slow the drip.
constant cleaning required for reliable pour...
This is where I take a paperclip and insert it into my pour hole and try to get a reliable predictable stream of lead/metal into my molds.
lead "foam" everywhere...
Ahhhh the lead foam..... I have a feeling that this might be the root issue of my problem. its like a Silver whipped cream topping all over my rig.

NOW what have I done?? Everything. I have had this for about 8ish years and I have used it to Melt WW down, pour ingots of WW, Make alloys for pours and Basicly EVERYTHING. Its my one stop shop for my casts. NOw If I can dis assemble the pot without ruining the warrenty I'll do it. Also every Lee comes with the "pay 1/2 of the current cost and we will refurbish yours for you" statement and for $40 Im sure I can get it done.

Now Back to the Zinc..... I have used Zinc in the pot. Alot of it more than likely. Now with the breakdown of a pot from Zinc I think it might be pitting my pot and allowing the foam to have more tooth. Its real hard to remove and I never can get all of it.

SO my knowledgeable bretheren..... what is my problem and what do I do to correct it?

Cowboy T
07-26-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't see why disassembling it would void the warranty, as long as you don't do anything to break or lose any parts. It sounds from your post like the drippety-drip is coming from the downpour spout. I'd turn that pot up high and make sure every bit of metal that can be gotten out of it, is gotten out of it. Then take it apart and clean every last bit of it that you can with some good solvent, followed by warm, soapy water. Let it dry. Put back together and see how things go.

Munkeyjoe
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Your assumption is correct, the downspout is leaky.

I have attempted to disassemble before but wasn't "serious" with it. I pulled the rod and buffed, and while attempting to remove the pot I ran into some difficulty and stopped.

I have tried "burning it out" and some copper scrubby but not solvent and such.

I may try this. does solvent remove the lead fluff?

jsizemore
07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
A propane torch applied to the nozzle will get it to pouring again.

Turn the pot all the way up and when it hits temp, pick it up, pour the alloy in the pot into ingots and bounce the top of the pot on a wood block and operate the handle with your free hand to clear the **** out of it.Yes, upside down. Unplug. When cool, lay it on it's side and scrape the sides and bottom till clean. Load it up with something other then zinc. Good Luck

docone31
07-26-2010, 11:10 PM
When you melt wheel weights in the pot, the crud goes to the spout.
If you get your melt up to temp, you can scrape a screwdriver down the sides. This will get the dross to float up to the top of the melt. Always melt in a seperate pot.
The Lee pots will drip if the spout way is not "fresh". This means there has to be angle on the nozzle that is a few degrees off the seat. That way, there is always a fresh sharp line go prevent leaks. I turn the nozzle when I shut down to clear the crud from the aperature.
Putting weight on the handle can actually make a leak! Keeping the melt clean is the best bet. I use Kitty Litter as top flux. I can toss rejects directly into the pot. The bituminous clay slows down the reject from hitting the melt so water is eliminated. It also keeps a lot of crud in the Litter rather than in the melt.
You will see on the rod, there is a screwdriver slot. Turn this as it cools down, pressing into the pot while turning. When it is heating up, turn it when it is loose, before the majority has melted. No drips that way.
I have had mine for years. That is what I do. no drips, except occasionally as it is getting older.
The worst thing a person can do is to change the angle of the rod entering the nozzle. This changes the geometry and the pot will leak.
Never distill lead scrap in the pot. Rejects, ok, but not from the scrap yard pail. Those you ingot seperately.
Use something to make an O2 screen on top of the pot. Sawdust, Kitty litter, Wood chips. Anything that will consume O2 during use.
Twist the rod from time to time. That is where it leaks, and that helps keep it clear.
I keep the heat up. I have yet to burn out a coil. I keep my pot on 9. When I cast with a zinc alloy, it allows the metal to pour and not leak. I have yet to perforate my pot in the years I have done this also.
They are great little pots, if kept clean.
Good luck.

Munkeyjoe
07-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Ok so the consensus is:

I need to clean out my pot using heat and take time to do so completely

and dont be stupid and melt in the pot again afterwards!!

Cowboy T
07-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, you can melt in it, just do so with clean lead. :-)

I do my initial melt-down and cleaning of wheel weights in a Dutch oven with a fish fryer. Then I pour the cleaned lead into an old muffin pan like you see at K-Mart. Yep, "muffin ingots." LOL

When I want to make some boolits, I just grab a few muffin ingots, pop 'em into the Lee pot, turn it on high, and let 'er rip. Works great.

markinalpine
07-27-2010, 07:36 PM
By the way, I bought one of Lee's little ladles, before I knew any better, but I have found it to be the ideal tool for scraping the sides of my melter. I only bent the angle of the spoon just a little.
Mark :coffee:

jsizemore
07-27-2010, 09:39 PM
A free paint stir stick from Lowes works good to scrape the sides and bottom and the added benefit of fluxing your alloy. I haven't tried any other paint outfits stir sticks so I can't say how well they work, but they might be worth a try.

Doby45
07-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Paint stir sticks work great as well as 3/8" oak dowels that my wife "had" been using for decorative label posts in potted plants. The scrap the walls very good and flux as you stir.

Munkeyjoe
07-30-2010, 02:41 PM
again thanks for the input! well tonight is the night to clean and cast some so I will have something for you guys!

Munkeyjoe
08-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Sorry for the double post.... I have cleaned up my post and used my new rig to melt more WW down. Heres some piccys!! I hope to have some actula castings done up this week!!

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh235/munkeyjoe/Photo0096.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh235/munkeyjoe/Photo0097.jpg

Doby45
08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Whats funny is how all your gear is all nice and clean and new looking. Does not fit the general stereotype at all. :)