PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs measure on a Dillon 550

TCLouis
07-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Have I lost my mind, or did I see where some folks have modified a RCBS powder measure to work in some sort of auto mode on a Dillon?

Anyone besides me have this dream.

scrapcan
07-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Yep you can use a hornady case activated powder drop. As one might suspect it will also work with the hornady measure. I have used the uniflow with one of the hornady setup son my 550b. You can make drop tube/expanders if you have a lathe.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005050073

nicholst55
07-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Give Dillon a call; you need the RL450 powder die and an adapter - assuming you're talking about using this on a Dillon RL550.

casterofboolits
07-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Why?:?:

The measure on my Dillon SDB is accurate and works fine. I have two RCBS powder measures and use them for rifle and short run pistol calibers I don't have an SDB conversion for.

I'm currently looking into adapting a Dillon powder measure to a CH Auto Champ MK 5 A as it has the worst powder delivery system ever concieved and is a total PIA to change charge weight as it uses a bushing. And it drops powder whether there is a case waiting or not. There is no cut off for the measure and you must run it dry to change bushings or spill powder all over the place![smilie=b::groner:

I bought the CH back in the mid 80's when Dillon wasn't available yet and it cost $400.00 plus $50.00 for the case cluster feed system. My first SDB cost $172.50.

cajun shooter
07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
The reason that I have done it is that I load nothing but BP and I have two Bp measures. One is RCBS and the other is a Lyman 55 . I use the RCBS on my Dillon and the Lyman for Shotshells. I have mine set up with the two pieces from Dillon on two presses. I also use this system on my Lee Classic Turret. I use my measure in a self activated mode which I find quite easy but have seen where other persons have used the Hornaday powder linkage for auto. I prefer the manual way with the BP.

TCLouis
07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Why . . .

Because I like to have a measure on each head, I have an extra RCBS Powder Measure, I'm cheap, and Dillons are pricey.

Dillon's are excellent measures and I upgraded my old one and they work well (even with H110/WC820).

cajun shooter
07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
No not at all . I load BP and the Dillon does not work that well for that purpose.

shooterg
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Like TCLouis said - nice to have a measure on each toolhead for those of us with 550's - and you can find a lot of good used measures much cheaper than the Dillons(which do work very well for me).

casterofboolits
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
OKAY, OKAY, OKAY! Now I understand! BP and cheapskates like me. :bigsmyl2:

Live and learn at least one new thing every day. [smilie=l:[smilie=s: