PDA

View Full Version : Sizing ?

jpsw44
07-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Hi guys,

This may be a stupid question but I had to ask..I noticed that when sizing some 230 gr RN's(WW, air cooled) that were a couple of years old in my Lyman 4500 they were coming out of the sizer at .4525 - .4528 especially around the top band..I sized some that I casted up a couple days ago and they come out spot on at .452. Now I know the boolits harden with age and the recently cast ones are much softer but they should still size out correctly ..No? Ive been having some problems with rounds not dropping in the case gauge..I believe the added
.0005-.0008 is creating this problem..Any thoughts?

44man
07-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Hi guys,

This may be a stupid question but I had to ask..I noticed that when sizing some 230 gr RN's(WW, air cooled) that were a couple of years old in my Lyman 4500 they were coming out of the sizer at .4525 - .4528 especially around the top band..I sized some that I casted up a couple days ago and they come out spot on at .452. Now I know the boolits harden with age and the recently cast ones are much softer but they should still size out correctly ..No? Ive been having some problems with rounds not dropping in the case gauge..I believe the added
.0005-.0008 is creating this problem..Any thoughts?
The harder lead is most likely springing back. The newer ones will also expand after aging too.
The easy solution is to buy a Lee size die at .451". After you lube and size in the Lyman, run them through the Lee and see what you get after aging the boolits a week. You can lap the die for what you want.
If you size a new cast boolit and measure right away, it will change on you with age.

Calamity Jake
07-26-2010, 09:24 AM
What 44man said!!!

Also let your fresh cast age a couple of weeks before sizing.

Just because they don't fit the case gage(Min. spec) doesn't mean they won't function.

jpsw44
07-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys..Good points. The older hardened boolits were just sized recently though..Same day as the 4 day old cast ones..I just happen to find them after unboxing from a move..They were never sized..Am I to understand the harder they get the springier they get?

44man
07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys..Good points. The older hardened boolits were just sized recently though..Same day as the 4 day old cast ones..I just happen to find them after unboxing from a move..They were never sized..Am I to understand the harder they get the springier they get?
Yes. The point is what happens in the gun's chamber? If they chamber easy you can shoot them. The case gauge might be tighter then the chamber.