PDA

View Full Version : I have 45 ACP separation anxiety

gray wolf
07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I always do my safety checks after I clean my 45-1911. Well last week I racked the slide pushed in on the barrel and pulled the trigger and the hammer fell to half cock. :groner:
So then I did it about 20 more times but this time I slowly moved the barrel back so it was definitely a little out of battery and sure nuff the hammer would fall. :-(
I guess I could have shortened the hooks on the hammer or messed with the disconnecter a bit but I spoke to brad at Springfield and he said.
" Well now SAM we don't want to have the pistol shooting out of battery, could get you hurt. So send it in and all will be well. " :sad:
My pistol has fired about 2,000 rounds this summer with not one problem,
none at all, and not one hick-cup last year either. :-P
But I guess parts do get old--don't ask how I know that--
Springfield picked the pistol up at my door on there dime and will return it in about 10 day's. I asked for a new recoil spring and to tighten up the slide a little.
So the whole thing will cost $2.90 That's for the spring.
But that's the easy part--
the hard thing is I don't have my GUN
Guy's I feel like a part of me is gone. I have dealt with them before and I no they are fast, 10 day's or less--But I ain't handling it well at all. :groner:
I shot the little womens 32 Acp the other day and I had to talk myself into believing it was the same amount of fun.
It was real--and it was fun--but it wasn't real fun.
So my pistol is at the pistol clinic. Oh well--cast,cast cast, load load, load till it gets back.
I wanted to go with it but Fed X said they didn't have a box big enough.
So thats my gun story for the week.

:groner: Sam

RobS
07-25-2010, 06:56 PM
It is funny how they can grow on you :D

DLCTEX
07-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I can relate totally. Mine was stolen about 2 years ago and the perp was caught quickly. My 1911 was held for evidence until the case was cleared in the courts. It took eight months and I had to get a little irate with the sheriff dept. as they were in no hurry to return it to me. After a number of calls I went down and raised my voice a little. The deputy thought I was unreasonable as it wasn't going anywhere. It had accumulated a little rust (slight), which I pointed out to him. He didn't relate to the need to have it for self defense. I asked if he wanted to go on shift without his, he thought that was different. Thankfully he is no longer in law enforcement.

07-25-2010, 07:17 PM
I sold my .45 and man i'm glad i got rid of it but i want a 1911 really really bad!

Thecyberguy
07-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi Gray Wolf...I am south of you a bit (about 2 hrs.) ...we have chatted a bit before...
Can I assume you cast and load for that 45?
What do you have for a mold , etc. and what powder do you like?
One of these days maybe we can get up in your neck of the woods...I love it up there and my son is always looking for "adventures". I checked out your club online and it looks nice.

Have a good 'un, Guy

mtgrs737
07-25-2010, 07:44 PM
All the reason to have more than one! IMHO Had to send one back to Springfield once too, they are good folks to work with, you will be seeing it again soon, just try not to think about it....

gray wolf
07-25-2010, 08:42 PM
THECYBERGUY--PM sent.

Yes we have a nice little range up here in Oquossoc Maine--100 yard and a 50 yard.
Porta privi, picnic tables and covered benches.
I wish a few guy's could come here and shoot with me and Julie, we would love it.

Blammer
07-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm at a loss on this "pushing in on the barrel a little bit" I can't quite picture it.

Could you elaborate?

thanks

MtGun44
07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Actually, I think he means pushing the slide and barrel assy back a touch. As they move
back they should push the disconnector down and prevent the trigger from being able to
trip the sear. He was pushing the slide back and apparently the disconnector is a bit short
so it is not pushing down far enough to clear the sear bottom legs, creating an unsafe
condition where it may be possible to fire the gun out of battery.

In the 1911, the rear of the trigger bow pushes on the bottom of the disconnector, and
when it is up, the disconnector pushes on the bottom of the sear, releasing the hammer.
As the slide moves back, a depression in the bottom of the slide that permits the disconnector
to move up when the slide is fully forward, is moved away and the disconnector is forced
down, and it disconnects from the sear if all the parts are dimensioned properly.

Bill

Blammer
07-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Ah, thanks!

Is checking the "safety" this way typical? I've never heard or seen it done before.

I'm not doubting, just trying to learn. thanks.

BOOM BOOM
07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
HI,
GOOD STORY, I know how you feel, only in my case it was my 44 mag.

gray wolf
07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Thank you bill --very well put.

If a 1911 is cocked and pointed at you As in bad guy good guy.
If you were to press the slide/ barrel to the rear with the palm of your hand and move it back a little the bad guys 1911 should not fire.
I always check my thumb safety, the grip safety, and move the slide / barrel assembly back a little for a disconnecter/fire out of battery check.
Another check that not to many people do is to check the hammer sear engagement to see if there is a potential for the sear hammer engagement area to slip.
What you are checking is the thumb safety.
When the thumb safety is disengaged the sear should not move away from the hammer hooks. That is it should not come forward as it would if it were going to release the hammer and fire the pistol. This could also be a dangerous condition.
The way you check this is to cock the pistol---
Flip the safety on and squeeze the trigger ( not so hard you break it ) just a little harder than you would if you were going to fire the pistol.
Then slowly release the safety and put the hammer close to your ear, slowly pull the hammer back while it is cocked. If you hear a slight metallic click. That is the sear slipping of the hammer hook. Your safety may have to be replaced or welded up.
It's unsafe.

Make sure your firearm is UNLOADED when doing any safety
checks.

I hope I explained that correctly

casterofboolits
07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm down to only four 45 ACP 1911's and just can't imagine being without one. Ya gotta have at least ten spare mags (eight rounders) to keep it company. If I had none I'd break out in hives. :groner:

On top of that, there is aout 10,000 rounds of 45 ACP brass stored in the reloading room. :Fire:[smilie=w::redneck:

gray wolf
07-28-2010, 02:43 PM
One is all I can afford, and it's my little honey. But I sure would like a nice target one with adjustable sights.
Then again I can't say to much bad about mine --it shoots better than I can shoot.
Bout an 1 1/2" at 25 yards with Mi Hecks 200 hollow points.
Hey I all ready did the hive thing, working on the shakes now.
10,000 empties --Ooh Haa,--
if any fall on the floor and you don't have room for them let me know, my little stash is getting worn out.

pdawg_shooter
07-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I am down to 3 now. least I have had since high school. And that was a loooong time ago!