PDA

View Full Version : Lube-O-Matic Problem--AGAIN...

BCB
07-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I was here some time ago with the “same” question, but this will be a bit different…

I have an RCBS sizing die—0.358” and I am always getting lube on the base of the boolit no matter what I do…

I have tried putting a bit of Styrofoam under the boolit and that sort of helps, but that is not how this Lube-O-Matic is to work!...

I have also tired different depth the boolit is put into the die--no good...

I don’t have problems with 44’s or 45’s so it is something with the boolits/0.358” sizing die…

Is it possible (sure anything is possible) that this die may be defective? Or maybe the rod that pushes the boolit from the sizing die is undersized by ever so small a measurement or possible not machined square with the interior of the sizing die?...

I have the sizing die and rod in hot water now to clean the lube from it so I can do some measuring. I am uncertain that I can measure the inside of the die accurately so I will just measure a sized boolit from this die…

I shall return…

Any other thoughts?...

Thanks…BCB

Update: Just got the sizing die and rod cleaned. The boolits are being sized 0.358" and the rod that pushes the boolits out of the die is 0.3575". These measurements were done with a Sterrett micrometer, so I am fairly sure they are accurate...

RKJ
07-25-2010, 08:00 PM
BCB, I know you said that you don't have any problems with .44 or .45, but when that happens to me it seems to be that I have twisted the ratchet too much and got too much lube into the reservoir. I'm a newbie so this is just a WAG, but....

BCB
07-25-2010, 08:13 PM
RKJ,

That was part of the problem I think...

The other thing that lead to lube on the base was the fact that I was not pushing the boolit far enough into the sizing die...

I was trying to only size a minimal amount of the length of the boolit and that was letting the holes where the lube comes through be right at the base of the boolit. As soon as I went to push the boolit out, it would put lube under the base as near as I can tell...

Well for now, I think I have things under control--maybe...

Thanks...BCB