PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 stock screw size?

45-70bpcr
05-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Hello,

Have a 1894 .357 cowboy I bought for my son. Bought the Marbles #9804 for it and can't figure out how they expect you to mount it. It comes with 2 screws and the tang needs drilled and tapped for them which is fine. Problem is with the action open the sight has to be mounted to the very end of the tang to allow the bolt to open fully and not hit the sight. This will work if I use the screw that holds the stock on for the rear mounting screw but of course it will have to be longer. I can't figure out what size it is? I've measured it and kind of think it is 12-32. Since I am going to have to order something like that it would be nice to see if anyone else knows for sure.

thanks,

Bart

Scrounger
05-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Certainly no expert here, but there should be some guidance in the instructions that came with the sight. If that's not clear, a phone call to Marble will certainly get you some help. Note that the sight upright is capable of bending or rotating so it can be parallel to the sight base. Two reasons for that: Makes its use optional, and lets the rifle's bolt cam it out of the way during the cycling process. It should return to the upright position. Meaning it doesn't have to be installed so far back as to clear the bolt...

45-70bpcr
05-13-2005, 10:20 PM
marble's sights don't include instructions. I guess they shouldn't be necessary if they provide the correct screws it is straight forward enough. I tried calling marbles and they refer all their sight support to Brownell's. Called them and they confirmed I did not get the replacement longer 12-32 stock screw that I should, instead I got 2 of the small screws which is what had me confused. Did not buy the sight from Brownell's but they do sell the correct screw for $2 something which is fine but they have a flat shipping rate of $7.50. I wrote marble's since they screwed up :) I'll see what kind of response I get and will pay the $10 to Brownell's if necessary I guess.
Thanks for the response.

Bart

imashooter2
05-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Brownell's has a light package shipping of $3.70. I have a few springs and a moon clip tool on the way for $3.70 right now.

beagle
05-14-2005, 01:12 PM
One thing you might be aware of in that drilling and tapping operation is that the tangs on Marlins don't always work out if you drill and tap in the center.

My gunsmith said he had some trouble when the cowboy craze hit and he did a few.

I don't know what the solution is but maybe someone here can shed some light on it.

he said he had to shim several of them that he did that way and that's no way to run a railroad./beagle