PDA

View Full Version : hbwc ...help

xtrmn8tr
07-24-2010, 09:55 PM
does anyone know why 32 longs seem to mostly be offered in HBWC?...maybe i'm just not looking hard enuf!

Buckshot
07-25-2010, 02:34 AM
does anyone know why 32 longs seem to mostly be offered in HBWC?...maybe i'm just not looking hard enuf!

..............I really don't know, but I can guess. My guess would be that they're factory loaded with great uncle Floyds old Belgium made top break he paid $4.50 for at Hickory Forks Hardware and Gen'l Mercantile back in '88 (that'd be 1888 :-)) in mind. Light loads and varying dimensions on occasion defeat even dead soft swaged HB boolits, but they're the best option. Anyway, that's my guess.

...............Buckshot

MtGun44
07-25-2010, 04:29 AM
I think Buckshot has, as usual, put his finger on the issue.

Lots of old guns means the factories need to keep pressures low for safety in everything.
Cheapo and old revolvers ensures a WIDE range of dimensions of cylinders and barrels.
Only a hollow base soft lead boolit has a reasonable chance of being accurate in all
these wide range of guns because the hollow skirt will expand as necessary to fit the
cylinder throat and then either expand more or shrink down as it hits the barrel which
could easily be larger or smaller than the cylinder mouth. Even after all of this adjusting,
the hb lead can often provide reasonable to excellent accuracy from otherwise problematic
pistols.

The big ammo factories produce hollow base swaged bullet loads for .45LC for exactly
the same reason, altho they also provide more conventional modern loads, too, in
that caliber.

Bill

deltaenterprizes
07-25-2010, 09:50 AM
In some places the 32 long is used for target shooting like the 38 special here, but the 32 has less recoil.