PDA

View Full Version : 2 Threads. What the Hey!

stephen perry
07-24-2010, 08:55 PM
As mentioned in another Thread I will be buying A Ruger Varmint 77 in .308. The rifle is my smiths that he bought in 72. He shot Cast BR on a informal basis at our since gone San Gabriel Range with his Ruger 25-06 and .308 both Varmint models. He is keeping his 25-06. Both guns have been in storage since 1975 when he started NBRSA benchrest.

The Ruger has been bedded by him and has a Canjar set trigger. I am getting all his small stuff for .308 loading, like I said he is my BR smith and was my second when I ran the San Gabriel BR program from 1995 till 2006.

I will shoot it with jacketed bullets for 100 rds to get the feel of the rifle and the barrel then it will become my dedicated Cast rifle. I'm 60 now, plan to shoot till I'm 95 then die and shoot some more in my next life wherever that maybe hopefully in New Mexico at Raton.

I will start with a Weaver 10x scope. If I feel good with the scope it will stay. I have 8 scopes without a rifle to hang them on, I probably have 40 scopes, lots of scopes that would go good on my Cast guns. I have a few spare 36x scopes but might be a tad much for a Varmint gun, I prefrer 8 and 10 power scopes on 100/200 yd range guns. That's it have 10 or more 30 cal molds will try em all. Get back later, buying the gun in September.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Jack Stanley
07-25-2010, 08:53 AM
I tried going the twenty-four power route and couldn't get the hang of reading the mirage . Sold that one and used a ten power untill I found and older Redfield that went up to eighteen power . That one I liked because I could cut back on the mirage if it was really working and did OK with the rifle I was using .

Jack