PDA

View Full Version : Question about brass......

ka0tqv
07-24-2010, 02:13 PM
If you shot squib loads and power loads, you are supposed to mark the squib load brass. My question is, what is the cutoff point (pressure and\or velocity) that determines the difference. I understand there is a problem resizing squib loads and using them as power loads. Suspect I'll get multiple answers on this, but I've never sen this subject addressed before. My rifle is a 308 Win. Tnx Carl

A target shooter is happiest when he shoots one hole groups!
He can compete with anyone but no one can beat him, only tie him!

leadman
07-24-2010, 03:32 PM
The reason to seperate them is if the load does not develop enough pressure to expand the case to fit the chamber after being driven forward by the firing pin it will have excessive headspace.
If this cartridge is loaded with a full power load it is possible that you could have a case seperation upon firing.
If you notice the primer protruding from the back of the case this is usually an indication if using a low power load that the case now has excess headspace as described.

ka0tqv
07-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks Leadman I'll keep an eye out for primer prptrusion and mark those cases. CW

Keep ,looking downrange!

AZ-Stew
07-24-2010, 07:29 PM
KAzero,

Nice to see another Ham aboard Carl.

Don't bother to mark the individual cases. Keep your light and heavy load brass in separate plastic ammo boxes and simply mark the boxes.

Regards,

Stew

44man
07-25-2010, 07:46 AM
A squib load case just takes less sizing and is not changed much from a new case when fired. If you full length the other brass too, they will be the same when you are done.
Many that shoot squib loads or rubber bullets find the primer will back out so they drill the flash hole out larger.
These are the ones you need to separate! You never want to shoot hot loads with drilled out brass. [smilie=s:

BOOM BOOM
07-26-2010, 03:37 PM
HI,
As I see it there are 3 load levels in rifles:
1. squib = 1,100-1,500 '/s basically pistol velocity.
2. 1,500-2,000 '/s= mid range.
3. 2,000-2,400 '/s or more. Basically getting into full power.
I have had no problem YET using mid range brass with full power lodes.

Never seen any experiments done w/ squib brass being shot w/ high power loads. But it has been stated often & by many that squib loads shorted case length.

I did an experiment, I believe it was posted on the old AIMEO site, involving 800+ cases, ALMOST ALL did lengthen in overall length after shooting squib loads.

Now this does not rule out a shortening of the length from the datum line on the shoulder to the base. I unfortunately do not have the tools to measure this. I requested anyone who had the tools, to please do the experiment & measure a lot of at least 50 cases( MINIMUM SIZE FOR A GOOD STATICAL SAMPLE) after each firing for 5 firings.
SO FAR AS I KNOW NO ONE HAS EVER DONE THIS EXPERIMENT.
IF ANYONE HAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF IT.

CASES DO SHORTEN, THERE IS PROOF OF THAT, as indicated by the protruding primer.:Fire::Fire:

lwknight
07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
All resized brass will be the same if your dies put it back to new specs , regardless of what WAS fired in it.
I would keep the heavy load bass separate till it had been fired a few times then retire it to the light load pile.

leftiye
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
What they're suggesting is that the primer strike will set the shoulder back. Sounds like it is possible (and should be checked somehow).