PDA

View Full Version : lapping bullet

lastborn
07-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I want to lap my 1895g 45/70. I have Marshall Stantons book.What I don't know is if I have the right bullet for the job? In his book he says "do not use a bore ride bullet.I have the Ranch Dog TLC460425RF mold and want to know if this boolit will do the job or not. Before you tell me I should have ordered the boolits from beartooth, I didn't know about bore ride boolits b4 I read his book. I'm not sure I know what a bore ride boolit is even after reading his book. I wish someone would please tell me.Can I use Ranch Dogs mold?The barrel slugs at .4575. My boolits drop at .460. Should I shoot as dropped, or do I need to size them? What size? Any and all tips and knowledge greatly appreciated.

303Guy
07-24-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm in favour of fire-lapping because I get a few rusted bores. A bore-ride boolit rides the bore without engaging the rifling. The rear section which carries the lube grooves would be groove diameter or bigger to engage the rifling.

Your fire-lapping boolit needs to be groove diameter or bigger so as to get the lapping compound into the grooves. Throat diameter is the desired size so as to lap the throat (if the rifle has a throat).

Might I suggest that you first tell us why you want to fire-lap?

Piedmont
07-24-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't think any of Ranch Dog's in .45 are bore ride designs. I've firelapped a few and if it were mine I would definitely size the bullets first. When you roll them in the lap to embed it they get bigger around. If you size around .458 and start out not embedding a ton of grit I think you will be happy. It is best to not size the cases first, just knock out the primer only. You will need to seat the bullet a little deeper than normal because the lapping compound will in effect make it larger around and it will interfere with the throat because it is larger.

Bore ride. You slugged your barrel right? The groove dimension was .4575. There was another dimension that rifling, probably somewhere around .452". That is your bore diameter. A bore ride bullet generally has a long sub-diameter nose that is meant to fit that smaller diameter. Ranch Dog generally makes his bullets as an all body type (all full diameter, then a quick taper to the meplat). Look at a 500 gr. RN .45-70 load some time. That long nose is of the bore ride type.

crabo
07-24-2010, 12:43 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=85849

Good discussion

MtGun44
07-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Why do you want to firelap? This is typically used as a tool to solve some particular
problem. If you have no particular problem, I'd be a bit reluctant to lap just for
the heck of it. But - it's your gun, not mine.

As to size for cast, about .001 to .003 over groove diameter usually works well, is
accurate and does not lead.

A bore rider is like a 311299 with a long bore diameter section on the front and a
short over groove diameter section at the rear to seal and drive. Look up the 311299
here under molds to look at one. Fwd of the front groove it is smaller diameter,
hopefully just at bore diameter for the barrel. Aft of the front groove it is larger
than groove diameter.

http://www.castpics.net/

Bill

lastborn
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I want to lap it because t is constricted at the roll marks/sights.
Thanks

BABore
08-02-2010, 08:23 AM
The boolit you have will work ok. I personally would prefer one with wider bearing bands myself though. All those skinny driving bands won't hold much lapping compound.

waksupi
08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
The boolit you have will work ok. I personally would prefer one with wider bearing bands myself though. All those skinny driving bands won't hold much lapping compound.

The grooves don't need to hold compound. The grit is embedded by rolling the bearing surface, loading it with the grit.

BABore
08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
The grooves don't need to hold compound. The grit is embedded by rolling the bearing surface, loading it with the grit.

And where in my post did I mention anything about the grooves?:shock:

The RD type boolits have alot of grooves, yes, but the driving bands are very narrow and don't hold much grit. Boolits with wider bearing bands work more efficiently.