PDA

View Full Version : Cast my first Yesterday and it Felt Goood!

Spartacus
07-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I handloaded 50 .44 mag cartridges using some new Starline brass and Lil' Gun powder with a Lee Loader in a couple of hours while watching TV. How sweet it is!

I'm starting to shoot pistol competitions with my Para 14-45 so I will need a progressive to stay affordable and I hope to be casting and popping out boolits like deer poop by this winter.

Thanks for all the help I get here guys!

RayinNH
07-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Good for you. Self sufficiency has a lot of benefits...Ray

mike in co
07-23-2010, 01:18 PM
if you are going to watch tv, do the loading during the commercials....

mike in co

BruceB
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
".......while watching TV. How sweet it is!"

Riiiight. The full saying is "short and sweet", and that's what your loading and shooting career is likely to be.

You may be grateful for "all the help" you get here, but you are IGNORING one of the most basic and important safety rules that 99% of us follow. DON'T ALLOW DISTRACTIONS WHEN HANDLOADING!

If your life or eyesight aren't important enough to lose the damned idiot box for a while, I suggest that you are in the wrong hobby.

Believe me, this warning is for your own good.

Trey45
07-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Turn the TV off, turn the radio off, keep the cell phone out of your ear, keep people out and keep all conversations out when you are reloading, all it takes is ONE moment where you lose concentration and you've just loaded an explosive instead of a cartridge.

sundog
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I do not watch much tv -- almost none. I will however do mundane chores such as brass prep or boolit loobing while a movie is rolling. Final assembly is a task for the bench, with no distractions.

44man
07-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes, no distractions and get rid of the Lil'gun. It is so hot it can eat up the forcing cone.

Spartacus
07-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Jeez talk about a buzz kill.

I'm pretty sure if I can chew gum and drive a car at the same time I can reload with the TV on in the backround.

Next time I'll skip the happy announcements...

SharpsShooter
07-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Please shoot on the other end of the line from me.

Loading ammunition is not a time to be H.U.A.

SS

Doc_Stihl
07-23-2010, 04:05 PM
How that the wet blanket welcoming crew has chimed in. Welcome to the reloading club.

I've been known to risk life and limb, by trimming brass, weight sorting boolits, cleaning primer pockets, and hand priming brass and other crazy stuff in front of the TV as well.....

I've been known to let my mind wander while loading in a quiet basement with no distractions from time to time as well. Ya know, thinking about boolits and such while waiting for the scale to dispense.

Check your work, be safe, and enjoy. Oh, and +1 on 44man's suggestion about Lil' Gun, it has a reputation for eating forcing cones. H110 is a great replacement.

Duckiller
07-23-2010, 04:27 PM
No one is picking on you we just don't want to hear about one of your firearms going KABOOM due to reloading inattention. Reloading does not require the coordination of gum chewing and driving. Reloading requires undivided attention! We want you safe and to be with us for a long time. Long time reloaders have made lots of mistakes and have figured out how to minimize and we don't want new reloaders making mistakes that they don't have to make. Be safe and hang around. We may have disagreements but we try to keep everyone safe.

MtGun44
07-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Sorry to join in with the 'rain on your parade crew'. I never permit anyone in the room
with me or anything electronic beyond low volume music - NOT talk radio, which I like --
when I am reloading. Full concentration is a MINIMUM requirement.

If you think you can do two things at once, you are just still learning. Reloading can
get you hurt if done wrong and I'd like to save you the trouble of learning all the hard
lessons personally.

So, my view is we are trying to be friendly and assist a new guy who is having fun in a
new hobby. We want the new guy to be safe and healthy. Welcome, please be safe
and have fun.

If you view it otherwise, you may have to learn lessons personally. Good luck, it may
hurt.

PS I ALWAYS us a written checklist before take-off, too. Some errors are too costly to
make.

Bill

Ben
07-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Ditto Bill's comments ! !

DON'T ALLOW ANY DISTRACTIONS WHILE HANDLOADING!

Geraldo
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
How that the wet blanket welcoming crew has chimed in. Welcome to the reloading club.

I've been known to risk life and limb, by trimming brass, weight sorting boolits, cleaning primer pockets, and hand priming brass and other crazy stuff in front of the TV as well.....

I've been known to let my mind wander while loading in a quiet basement with no distractions from time to time as well. Ya know, thinking about boolits and such while waiting for the scale to dispense.

Check your work, be safe, and enjoy. Oh, and +1 on 44man's suggestion about Lil' Gun, it has a reputation for eating forcing cones. H110 is a great replacement.

Glad you started reloading, and you picked a great cartridge to start with. +1 on H110 in the .44 magnum, it's my favorite .44 propellant.

Reloading won't actually leave more money in your pocket, but you'll shoot a lot more for the same amount you spend on factory ammo.

Now, safety. My saying at work was that I wasn't all that good at what I did, I just tried to limit my opportunities to screw up. Start with a safe routine with all necessary checks and always follow it. Don't believe that you can reload on auto pilot and you'll have a safe, lifelong hobby.

RobS
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes, no distractions and get rid of the Lil'gun. It is so hot it can eat up the forcing cone.

This one I've seen as well.

Spartacus
07-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks Doc for putting some perspective to this. I'm doubting everybody reloads in a lotus position using laser focused concentration... please.

There are relatively few errors possible loading for the .44 mag at least with this powder and the Lee Loader.

I guess I could forget to put in a primer but that would be obvious, eh?

I could double charge the case. Oh, well no I couldn't as Lil Gun pretty much fills up the cartridge and that is obvious, eh?

I could forget to put a charge in. But that would be pretty obvious when I pulled the trigger, eh? lol

What else is there?

Anyway I don't want to sound like a smarty and I do respect the process and am very attentive while reloading.

I fired all 50 rounds this afternoon with no problems. It feels good firing your own work. I noticed some lead fouling prolly due to gas cutting around the rounds which may have been a bit undersized. I'll load some Hornadays tonight.

Spartacus
07-23-2010, 07:22 PM

This I do not understand.

Hogdon advertises the powder for the .44 and it falls in the middle of the "Relative Burn Rate" on page 13 of the Basic reloading manual.

I can understand a super hot load cracking the forcing cone, but "eating it up"? How is that possible and how many rounds would it take?

Salmon-boy
07-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey, welcome to the hobby... Congrats on liking it, but yes... Everyone here has a point. DO NOT be distracted.. A double charged case is never something fun to find the hard way....

With the Lee loader you're weighing individual charges.. Yeah, you could forget a charge. Big deal..

Building on the success, you'll probably want to pick up a progressive. At some point, you'll get distracted by bad habits and double pump or do a short stroke, followed by another. If you're distracted, you might not notice. I've pulled apart enough ammo to be annoyed. I've also found one case that I double-charged with a pair of short pulls. With 9mm, I was glad to have the brain tickle that something was wrong. All it takes is one case.

Realistically with some loads, it's obvious when you're double-charging a case. Others it's not and can ruin your day at best. Do yourself a favor and don't start the bad habits now..

lylejb
07-23-2010, 08:50 PM
This I do not understand.

Hogdon advertises the powder for the .44 and it falls in the middle of the "Relative Burn Rate" on page 13 of the Basic reloading manual.

I can understand a super hot load cracking the forcing cone, but "eating it up"? How is that possible and how many rounds would it take?

Burn RATE and flame TEMPERATURE are two different things. Lil gun is thought to burn at a higher temp and / or generate more HEAT than other powders. Think cutting torch.

Many posts on this board about errosion when using lil gun, some saying visible errosion in as little as 100 rounds. For that reason I've avoided it.

I can get all I need with Winchester 296 or H110. The extra 100- 200 fps isn't worth the damage to the gun.

+1 on be careful, and be safe.

jsizemore
07-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks Doc for putting some perspective to this. I'm doubting everybody reloads in a lotus position using laser focused concentration... please.

There are relatively few errors possible loading for the .44 mag at least with this powder and the Lee Loader.

I guess I could forget to put in a primer but that would be obvious, eh?

I could double charge the case. Oh, well no I couldn't as Lil Gun pretty much fills up the cartridge and that is obvious, eh?

I could forget to put a charge in. But that would be pretty obvious when I pulled the trigger, eh? lol

What else is there?

Anyway I don't want to sound like a smarty and I do respect the process and am very attentive while reloading.

I fired all 50 rounds this afternoon with no problems. It feels good firing your own work. I noticed some lead fouling prolly due to gas cutting around the rounds which may have been a bit undersized. I'll load some Hornadays tonight.

Does anybody have a link to the thread where the members round went off in his commander and threw brass into his hand?

Words don't seem to work, let's try pix!

Suo Gan
07-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Think of these guys as your uncles...they will call you on things like this. Does not mean they don't care about you, the opposite is true. Remember that some of these guys have been doing this for a looong time. Heed their advice.

Personally it makes me glad to know another caster has entered the ranks!!! Hope to see you again sir.

AZ-Stew
07-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Well, I must be on one edge of the Bell curve. I've loaded with the TV or radio running in my shop for a LONG time. The way my shop is laid out, my back is to the tube while I'm actually loading. If anything comes up that gets my attention, I stop, turn, watch, then when returning to my loading, I re-check everything before continuing.

In 35+ years of handloading, the only gun I've ever damaged was a Smith M-29. No, I didn't blow it up. I was loading Hornady 180 grain JACKETED bullets over a light powder charge. I don't remember the powder or charge weight. Whatever it was, it was too light. I didn't have any problems with it, but during the emptying of the box of ammo, I loaned the gun to a friend who shot a couple of cylinders full. After I got it back from him, I shot six, after which I took a good look at the barrel, which now sported a nice bulge. Looked like a snake eating a mouse. Amazingly enough, the revolver still shot very accurately. I sent the gun back to Smith for a barrel replacement and still have and shoot it. The mistake was made in about 1974 - 1975, and was due to too light a powder charge under a jacketed bullet, not inattention due to watching TV. I've never done it since. I also learned that you don't make 600 fps loads with jacketed bullets. That's when I started casting for centerfire. I'd been casting for muzzle loader for a couple of years, but not for centerfire.

I've also, for MANY years, done my priming for rifle cartridges while WATCHING TV. It's easy enough. Load the Lee hand priming tool with primers, dump the brass into my apron-covered lap, take them one by one and prime them, check the job by feel with my finger tip and put them back in the plastic cartridge box. Piece o' cake. Since all cases are dropped base up into the box it's easy to run a visual on them when I'm done.

I don't recommend these methods, I just state that I have lived with them for 35+ years. Not everyone can or should do what I do, but I've been very successful and safe.

Regards,

Stew

Heavy lead
07-23-2010, 10:08 PM
+1 to what Stew said, can't recommend it, everyone has different abilities. I always have had somekind of background music, tv (especially football or baseball, or the history channel) on when working always.
I always read, watch tv, listen to radio, or whatever in a multitasking way, including work.
Don't recommend it, but for some reason I actually can pay more attention to detail this way, I'm a big daydreamer and I believe it actually keeps my mind from wandering.

smoked turkey
07-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Reloading for me is a hobby within a hobby. I enjoy the whole process (with exception of case trimming!). I never felt the need to be distracted while enjoying the process. I agree with everyone who cautioned against trying to "so something else" while reloading. There is too much risk in screwing up one of the steps in the process. Some of the steps can be screwed up and no big deal..just go back fix it and go on. However when it comes to powder charging, I am an excessive compulsive..I continually check and recheck. That is when you can screw up and it will cost you, maby big time. I say learn to enjoy this aspect of the hobby and you won't want distractions.

MT Gianni
07-24-2010, 12:00 AM

Everyone that ever bulged a bbl thought it would be obvious also. It may not, be especially with double action, even in a 44.

casterofboolits
07-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I've never had a TV in my loading room. I do listen to books on tape/CD when doing the boring stuff like sizing, swaging primer pockets, etc. I like to process my brass a couple thousand at a time, especially 5.56. When charging cases, I don't listen as it could be distracting. [smilie=f:

AZ-Stew
07-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Everyone that ever bulged a bbl thought it would be obvious also. It may not, be especially with double action, even in a 44.

+1. See post #22. Those HAD powder in them. Just not enough for a J-bullet.

Regards,

Stew

Blammer
07-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Good deal on your loading!

I was gonna say something about loading infront of the TV but then I realized there is so little of value to watch anymore it was probably just for background noise anyways.

I also thought about the lee loader and that it's gonna be dang near impossible to screw that up especially with the good powder choice you have. (fills the case, no double charge possible.)

So after reading your post, digesting it and reveling in your coolness to have a TV in your "man cave" (I don't) I think you are on your way to good, cheap, fun shooting! And that SIR is what it's all about!

and here are a few 44 cal choices you need to look at. :D

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44list.jpg

Spartacus
07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the kind post Blammer. I always like shooting big boolits so the NEI at 325 is tempting. I will have to give them a shot.

Wayne Smith
07-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Sparticus, I thought the same thing. Loading in the same room while the boys were watching TV - no problem. I have been reloading since age 16. I charge one case at a time, seating the boolit immediately - no chance for a double charge unless the powder bridges.

Two primer only rounds in my 40 short and weak - the boolit lodges in the forcing cone and does not allow another round to chamber, thank God! The first time it took me a second or two (that's a long time, measure it) to figure out what happened, if the bullet had been in the barrel I would have sent another one after it. The second time I recognized it.

No more loading while the TV is going, even if I'm not interested in the show.

Dean D.
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Spartacus, welcome to Cast Boolits and a fun and rewarding hobby!

I have to second Suo Gan's comments, the folks here get very concerned when they hear/see someone say/post something they think may cause harm. If they didn't care they would remain silent.

Everyone has a different routine for loading, whatever works safely is all that counts.

Enjoy your new hobby, it sure does feel good to shoot boolits you made yourself!

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Another aspect of the warning is, there are other new caster/loaders who may read this, and they also may not be able to chew gum and walk . . . good habits are hard to break.

Changeling
07-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Try it are way for 6 months (safety first), then try it your way, if you still want to. That way you will get 6 months of safe enjoyment before you change and blow off a hand or put out an eye or even worse.
Everyone is not telling you these things for no good reason. However maybe you're smarter than anyone else that reloads! Take your pick.