PDA

View Full Version : Neck Sizing

shamanlcs
07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
just getting started in rifle reloading..
I have cast and (successfully ) reloaded some 451.45 cal for my 1911.Have not had to size many bullets ,unless my mold was not hot enought etc.

However...i just pulled a bullet from my 30-06 hxp and a 7.62 x39 russian and and my cast 312 or re-sized 309's slide right into a once fired brass,30-06 or 7.62 respectivly....

I am surmising that the fired cartridges have neck flares that will cause me to "crimp them first?

I am confused.....or is this where wadding comes in?

44man
07-23-2010, 08:08 AM
just getting started in rifle reloading..
I have cast and (successfully ) reloaded some 451.45 cal for my 1911.Have not had to size many bullets ,unless my mold was not hot enought etc.

However...i just pulled a bullet from my 30-06 hxp and a 7.62 x39 russian and and my cast 312 or re-sized 309's slide right into a once fired brass,30-06 or 7.62 respectivly....

I am surmising that the fired cartridges have neck flares that will cause me to "crimp them first?

I am confused.....or is this where wadding comes in?
Boolits are supposed to go into fired cases. Size them the same as you do for jacketed and adjust expander size to the lead hardness. If you shoot hard lead you need do nothing more then use the dies you have.
If seating a boolit sizes it down, use a larger expander. Always put a little flare on the mouth to start a cast boolit and if the gun does not need a crimp, you can leave the flare but if you shoot a lever gun, etc that needs a crimp, then crimp them.
There are some guns like BPCR's that do not need sized or over size boolits are fit to the throats but your guns need sized brass.

oldtoolsniper
07-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Once fired cases need to be resized before you can reload them. You need to neck size or full length size the cases after you fire them. If you do not resize the case the boolit will drop right in. Wads are for shotguns. Filler is a different horse altogether and it is not designed to support a boolit.

What reloading manual are you using?

shamanlcs
07-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I have been using the Lee Loadmaster(precision equipment :).
I knew the once fired brass expanded,but never thought, enought to not accept a cast(usually oversized) bullet.

I guess I just thought re-sized meant expanded neck,not contracting.Duh!
I am learning from these and other forums.

Before I start the rifle reloading I will make sure i have all the dies..I will be reloading 223 and 30-06. Semi and bolt action;s ..So neck sizing or Full length?

07-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Any edition of Lyman's Reloading Handbook or Cast Bullet Handbook will lead you through all the steps involved with reloading rifle cartridges.

gray wolf
07-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Before I start the rifle reloading I will make sure i have all the dies..

Make sure you have all the information also, It sounds like you may be a little fuzzy on some things.
Some of what you are asking should be in your basic reloading books.
Don't expect to get it all from this or any forum. There is a certain amount of personal responsibility that goes along with reloading.

shamanlcs
07-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I have reloaded over 1000 45's and the only squip i have experienced came from some WOLF I purchased from some personally responsible people...

I seek the best advice from knowledgable people,because where I am is where others have been and that is where the metal meets the meat...

Book learnin'is good... (the best for some) but I find that those who can.. do,and those who can't ...teach... or maybe read and then consider themselves experts.

Thanks again for the introspective ......insight

Make sure you have all the information also, It sounds like you may be a little fuzzy on some things.
Some of what you are asking should be in your basic reloading books.
Don't expect to get it all from this or any forum. There is a certain amount of personal responsibility that goes along with reloading.

Wayne Smith
07-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Grey Wolf is right. There are a lot of details that are covered in the manuals that aren't on forums. If you have loaded thousands of one caliber that does not mean you know all of the ins and outs of another type of reloading - pistol does not completely translate to rifle and vice versa.

The advantage of formal education (book learning) is that it is organized and stuctured to be complete. Informal learning is not so structured and thus leaves holes. In this endeavor such holes can be problematic to say the least.

gray wolf
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
One thing you can do --
and it wont come from a book.

Is get rid the attitude --no one here is trying to beat you up. I have never seen that on this forum, and I don't think I ever will.
Trial and error works great for learning how to do your shoe laces, they wont blow up in your face.

jsizemore
07-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Easy everybody. He doesn't know he doesn't know.

Remember when you thought you understood, but you were just at the start.

Sham, if you decide to learn by doing, make sure you do it by yourself so you don't hurt others.

Good Luck

geargnasher
07-23-2010, 04:21 PM
I have reloaded over 1000 45's and the only squip i have experienced came from some WOLF I purchased from some personally responsible people...That makes you neither knowledgable, nor qualified. It makes you lucky if you did it without knowing the full story of what you're doing.

I seek the best advice from knowledgable people,because where I am is where others have been and that is where the metal meets the meat...Incorrect, Sir! Do not confuse BASIC RELOADING KNOWLEDGE with the sort of advice you can look for here. This is NOT something you learn from an internet forum, it's something you get from following the basic procedures and safe loading practices described in great detail in the first few chapters of any good reloading book.

Book learnin'is good... (the best for some) but I find that those who can.. do,and those who can't ...teach... or maybe read and then consider themselves experts. The sort of folks that "teach" and edit reloading manuals know a lot more than you or most of us do about safe, fun, and accurate reloading.

Thanks again for the introspective ......insight

You're welcome. We're not trying to rain on your parade, it's just that you have the totally wrong attitude and approach to this. You REALLY need to get a good reloading book, and read with comprehension every word of the instructional and safety text. It is no joke that you can kill yourself or a bystander with the tiniest screw-up.

Gear