PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Zink from a barrel ?

Johnch
07-22-2010, 07:20 PM
One of the LOONIES at work decided to cast up a bunch of pure zink bullits and shoot them out of his 357

Of course he used a MAX load and they .........zinked ( no lead LOL )

So now he has a pretty gray interior of his barrel

I am not sure what he tryed to remove it
But he claimed he scrubbed for a hour
And didn't seem to get any out

So now he is crying and I am laughing as I told him not to :grin::grin:

Any clue as to the best over the counter bore cleaner for him to use ?

As anything to involved will completely mess him up
As IMO he has the IQ of a sponge

John

sagacious
07-22-2010, 11:48 PM
That's why I lube my zinc bullets, and recommend that practice. Done right, they shoot mighty fine-- same as anything else done right.

Zinc fouling is probably the easiest fouling to remove from a gunbarrel. Any standard barrel fouling cleaner/solvent will remove it with little effort, as zinc is very chemically reactive. Bore pastes/polishes will also remove zinc easier than removing copper.

Tell your friend to use some bore solvent, and let it soak. The zinc will dissolve. Extended scrubbing is not the way to go, just let it soak, and then clean as normal. Best of luck.

RobS
07-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Choreboy wrapped around a bore brush in addition to a good solvent

44man
07-23-2010, 07:30 AM
A real RAIN GUTTER barrel! :mrgreen:

fourdollarbill
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Shoot a couple of gas checked bullets out of it. It removes lead pretty well out of a 6" GP100

Johnch
07-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks

I will pass along the infoe

I found out he was using a nylon brush , not sure if he was using any solvent after talking to him today

And NO the zink boolits were not lubed
In his mind a hard zink bullet is the same as a copper J bullet
Just load and shoot

John

RobS
07-25-2010, 02:18 PM
This guy needs some schooling in casting, reloading of cast boolits, and bullet lube it sounds like. Maybe he can research a bit more before "just doing it". :groner:

qajaq59
07-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Maybe he can research a bit more before "just doing it". Nahhhh, that'd take all the fun out of it. :rolleyes:

mooman76
07-25-2010, 04:40 PM
He could try loading up some rounds with COW. They tends to sand blast the lead out but I have never tried it myself.

Johnch
07-25-2010, 05:52 PM
This guy needs some schooling in casting, reloading of cast boolits, and bullet lube it sounds like. Maybe he can research a bit more before "just doing it". :groner:

One of the LOONIES at work

As IMO he has the IQ of a sponge

And now you see why I called him a loonie with the IQ of a sponge :-D

We have some great guys at work and some that Darwin hopes never have kids

John

qajaq59
07-25-2010, 06:33 PM
There are people that get an idea, research it, keep records, and are actually trying to find out something specific. And then there are people that just get an idea and do things that are rarely even rational. The first ones are the ones that have done something productive for the rest of us over the years. The second group usually ends up giving us a bad name in the local ERs.

I'm not the experimenting type. I go by the book, and I usually even check that book against another one. But there are some who are experimenting with zinc and apparently have found ways to load it. However, I'd bet the farm that it wasn't done by simply stuffing a zinc bullet in a case and shooting it.

BOOM BOOM
07-26-2010, 04:40 PM
HI,
How the h@#@ fast was he pushing them?
Zn is twice as hard as Pb. He must have loaded them WAY fast to get them to ZINC the bore.

sagacious
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
I doubt that one can shoot a zinc bullet too fast from a 357. More likely a combo of too small diameter, and no lube. That combo will cause fouling with either lead or zinc.