PDA

View Full Version : A good mold swap

theperfessor
07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Just finished a mold swap with my BIL, the guy that first showed me how to cast bullets and who let me use his equipment to get started years ago. He just finished up building a .38 super on a Colt 1911 frame. The barrel is a true 9mm size and he had no mold the right size. I had a new four cavity TCBB 122 gr SAECO that I had never used since my HiPower needs a .357-.358 bullet. Commercial cast bullets of the same design leaded horribly.

He let me use his Lyman 358480 four cavity mold a few years ago that drops a bullet that sizes nicely in a .358 die and is just the berries in my HP using Blue Dot. This is a 133 gr SWC with two grease grooves and no crimp groove and is out of production.

We swapped molds and a handful of bullets and both walked away happy. Now we both have something that will work in our guns.

Bob Krack
07-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Just finished a mold swap with my BIL, the guy that first showed me how to cast bullets and who let me use his equipment to get started years ago. He just finished up building a .38 super on a Colt 1911 frame. The barrel is a true 9mm size and he had no mold the right size. I had a new four cavity TCBB 122 gr SAECO that I had never used since my HiPower needs a .357-.358 bullet. Commercial cast bullets of the same design leaded horribly.

He let me use his Lyman 358480 four cavity mold a few years ago that drops a bullet that sizes nicely in a .358 die and is just the berries in my HP using Blue Dot. This is a 133 gr SWC with two grease grooves and no crimp groove and is out of production.

We swapped molds and a handful of bullets and both walked away happy. Now we both have something that will work in our guns.Keith,
Good things happen to good people.

Bob

Charlie Two Tracks
07-21-2010, 07:58 PM
perfessor. Sounds like a great trade and a good friendship. You can't beat that.

Edubya
07-21-2010, 08:29 PM
If the BIL ever expresses an displeasure with that mould tell him that I'll purchase it for $100.00.

EW

StrawHat
07-22-2010, 05:54 AM
It's always nice when a plan comes together.