PDA

View Full Version : more hollow pointing

rollingblock
07-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Bit of an update on my previous thread about hollow pointing by drilling out the bullet seating stem. Modified my 32.20 die by drilling out with a 4mm drill. This time I was home and used the lathe so the hole is straight. The pic of the die in the press shows the drill bit in contact with the projectile and you can see how deep the HP will be by the amount of drill bit visible. Think maybe I should have stuck with the 3.2mm(1/8) as the nose walls appear quite thin and fragile. Haven't tested them yet but I'll keep you posted.

Buckshot
07-21-2010, 01:12 AM
.............Neat! You could also make a new seater stem and then drill & ream it to take a suitable centerdrill. You'd then have a HP hole you could apply a varying amount of 60º taper. Come to think of it since you're only drilling lead you could turn HP shapes in high carbon steel, cut a couple flutes if you have a mill or a milling vice to mount on your cross slide. File in a bit of clearance, harden and then stone it. I wouldn't think you'd need much if any relief in the flute if the edge was a sharp 90º corner. Just turn it slowly.

................Buckshot