PDA

View Full Version : Score This Target Please!

Josh Smith
07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Hello,

I need this target scored please:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/hollowpointer/th_71545a3a.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/hollowpointer/?action=view&current=71545a3a.jpg)

Five shots.

I am not scoring it myself for a couple reasons. First, I'm not sure I can be 100% objective. Second, I fired five rounds, almost certain that I hit with all five rounds, but I cannot find the fifth round.

I think it went through the same hole as another, as one looks slightly elongated, but I do not want to make that call. If you see it, please tell me which one it is.

I'm leaving the pic full sized; please click on the thumbnail to view the full sized pic.

The center is 0.5" across the black.

Please let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

Josh

Just1Mor
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Just my 2 cents but looks like 2 rounds in the bottom hole one being a 10 the other being a 9 from what i see. so 4 - 10's 1x, 1 - 9

kmag
07-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I think Just 1 More is correct.

imashooter2
07-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Without the target and an overlay in hand, that is a 40, 1X.

It is possible that there are 2 through the bottom hole. If there are, the overlay would determine if the 10 ring was broken.

Doc Highwall
07-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Bottom hole looks like two shots one a ten and one a nine so 49-1X. A plug will tell you if the bottom hole has two shots as it will have less resistance then a single bullet hole.

ka0tqv
07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Josh - You really made those American Eagles scream. I'm no expert on target scoring, but by blowing up the pic and looking at it with a magnifying glass, there's no doubt in my mind. It's the bottom hole!
The rim dia of a 30-30 is .506. You could put a empty 30-30 downrange 100 yds and clip it 5 times, It boggles my mind! keep it up. Carl

HeavyMetal
07-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I'll score this as 50-1X, A double at the 6 O'clock position that broke the 10 ring line is scored at the higher value.

Nice shootin" Tex!

whitetailsniper
07-19-2010, 09:58 PM
i agree with the other members, theres a double in the 6ooclock hole,just a tad slightly higher,but definitly same hole. NICELY DONE.

Josh Smith
07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi Folks,

I want to thank you.

Here is a screen capture of what I'm looking at:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/hollowpointer/th_b59b46f3.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/hollowpointer/?action=view&current=b59b46f3.jpg)

(click the pic)

I have this posted on at least 10 boards, and there is a 50/50 split between opinions as to whether the double is at 6 o'clock or 1 o'clock. I initially thought it was at 1, but I agree now that it was at 6.

I'm also learning new terms. What is a "plug"? What is a "moving backer"?

I'm just a po' ol' squirrel hunter who is trying to make bulk ammo take squirrel at 100yds.

The bullets were reshaped first into a consistent roundnose configuration, then into a flatpoint, using D Rock's tool. This is why the target looks to have been hit with wadcutters.

The idea is to have a killing bullet, but one that is also accurate, and that means that, since for the majority of the way the bullet would be travelling subsonic (after 30yds or so), that it needed a shape better tailored to subsonic speeds. I also figured that getting there soon would be best, and the flat point is sort of a brake most noticable at supersonic speeds.

Also, this is really part of my attempt to get 1MOA with bulk HP.

Looks like I am shooting 1.048MOA or so.

Maybe this stuff just isn't capable of MOA accuracy? I do not know. I do know that this group was relatively easy after firing hundreds upon hundreds sorted by weight - only to have it recommended to me that I try sorting by case head thickness. That seems to have done it. I actually watched that bottom hole appear, and I wondered if I had hit it twice as I could see the white plastic backing through the hole as the woods were getting dark.

There were no other shooters; this is my private range. It maxes out at 110 yards or so, but is only really usable out to 100yds.

Thanks again, and additional comments are most welcome.

Josh

Longrange
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM
The way I was taught that is 4 in the ten..

1 in the X

c3d4b2
07-19-2010, 11:28 PM
A scoring plug or overlay is the only sure way to determine if the double is a 10 or a 9. The overlays are easier to use when the bullets are packed into a tight cluster. The .22 bullet does not cut a clean hole. I have been surprised many times that what I thought was a 9 turned out to be a 10 when it was plugged.

MT Gianni
07-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Try measuring with a fired case to look for bullet enlargement to find the 2nd hole. Have you weight sorted your ammo? Try shooting cartridges that weigh close to the dame to keep your batch size similar.

HeavyMetal
07-20-2010, 01:21 AM
In your attempt to get MOA out of bulk ammo You've started by sorting by weight and now are looking at sorting the rim thickness.

A good idea but done backwards. Sort rim thickness first then weigh those with the thickest rims, sorting them into weight groups. Then assign a "lot" number to each batch.

MY experience is that 22 rimfire's prefer the thickest rim you can find in production ammo!

Your gun my be different but this is where I'd start.

By the way let's talk safety here! Lot's of tools out there to measure rim thickness but we need to remember that the rim of all rimfire ammo is designed to fire the cartridge when the hammer compresses it!

Doing that with a measuring tool and you might have a sensitive round go off!

So handle whatever rim measureing tool you buy with care and watch where you point the ammo when doing the check cause you could get a real surprise if your not casreful!

Trifocals
07-20-2010, 03:58 AM
I would score the target 50, 1X. The hole at 6 o'clock is most certainly a double. Having scored many thousands of targets while a competitive handgun shooter, I can tell you that a shot that breaks or touches a scoring ring is given the count for the higher ring. It is virtually impossible to determine with a scoring plug whether a double such as yours scored a nine and a ten or two tens. Since the scoring ring was broken, both shots of a double such as yours should be scored as tens. Very nice shooting, by the way.

WILCO
07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
I need this target scored please:

You can be on my team anytime Josh!

crabo
07-20-2010, 07:48 AM
What does your rifle do at 100 with good ammo?

Calamity Jake
07-20-2010, 09:47 AM
The way I was taught that is 4 in the ten..

1 in the X

The one in the "X" counts as 10 also.

I will score it 50-1X

1Shirt
07-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I get at best 49 1X, at worst 40 1X. And thats a **** shoot!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

scrapcan
07-20-2010, 10:18 AM
The number of X (bullseyes) are used for tie breaking. Say if you have two shooters with a score of 50 and one has 1X the other has 2X, the one with 2x will be the high scorer and take the prize whatever theat might be.

a plug is is a guage that is the same size as the nominal bullet diameter for the bullet having been fired. You can go to brownells or sinclair international and you shoudl see pictures of it.

Here are a few from Champions choice
http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Targets_and_Accessories-229.aspx

Here is an article on using a scoring guage, notice the link to full article with dimensions and sources lower on the page.
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/cmp-article-explains-use-of-scoring-gauges/

Here is the link to the full article should one want to read it
http://www.odcmp.org/0108/default.asp?page=SCORINGGAUGES

The Neil Jones Rim Thickness tool is a good way to segregate by rim thichness. the sliding arm is sloped to give an accurate quick read of rim thickness

http://www.championshooters.com/index-ssl.html

Doc Highwall
07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
This is what a scoring plug looks like.

kcajeel
08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd score that a 50/ 1X You have a double on the 10 ring at the 12 o clock position thats broken the line. Nice shooting

AZ-Stew
08-05-2010, 10:46 PM
My old eyeballs say 4 tens, 1 nine, and one of the tens is an X. That's 49 by 1X. I believe your double is at 6 o'clock and the lower one didn't quite touch the ten ring.

Regards,

Stew

deltaenterprizes
08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
It looks to me like the double is at 1 o'clock. Great shooting!

Shiloh
08-14-2010, 03:14 PM
50. 1 X

SHiloh

DrNick
08-24-2010, 03:56 PM
49 - 1X Assuming for a moment that there two bullets made the hole at 6 o'clock, the lower bullet would not have cut the scoring line...hence 49 - 1X.

twidget
08-29-2010, 01:11 AM
I'd score it a 50-1x. The double is at 6 o'clock.

Reverend Recoil
09-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Without a scoring plug I would score that target 49-1X.

hiram
09-12-2010, 01:53 AM
50 -- with 2 in 1 at 6 o'clock

Trifocals
09-12-2010, 04:51 AM
Your target scores 50-1X. The 6 o'clock hole is a double. As a former competitive handgun shooter, I have scored many thousands of targets including all targets submitted for scoring from my states winter league competition. Very nice shooting, by the way.

bruce drake
09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
I score it 49-1x as well.

I purposefully didn't look at the other posts until I made my decision on the target.

The double is at 6 o'clock but by my looking at the circumference of the lower portion of the hole I don't think it would have clipped the scoring ring for 10 on its own but got elongated into an oval when the second bullet when through the paper.

Or to speak in an evil tone. The first bullet clipped the 10 line and the second punched the 9 ring.

Either way, good shooting. Not many shooters hit near-possibles with stock bulk ammo.

Bruce

cajun shooter
09-23-2010, 11:07 AM
The double is at 6 o'clock and easy enough to see with out the use of a scoring plug. As a former police instructor and PPC, Bullseye shooter the second round at the 6 o'clock went in at about 1 o'clock. I have over the years scored thousands of targets. I will admit however that my 63 year old eyes only saw it after a good bit of blow up. Good shooting!!

williamwaco
10-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Just my 2 cents but looks like 2 rounds in the bottom hole one being a 10 the other being a 9 from what i see. so 4 - 10's 1x, 1 - 9

I accept you didn't miss the paper, so either you miscounted the shots or Just1Mor has called it.

wv109323
10-18-2014, 04:46 PM
You need a set of overlays to properly score the target. The first overlay has a line that is the same diameter of the scoring ring. ( in this case the 10 ring). You align the line with the circumference of the 10 ring across the double hole. The second overlay has a circle the same size as the bullet.( in this case .223 for 22LR). The circle is aligned with the remaining circumference of the bullet hole. If the bullet circle touches the established scoring ring then the shot is scored the higher value.
You can not use a scoring plug in a double hole because the plug can be moved around in the hole that is larger than the bullet diameter.

Josh Smith
10-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Oh, wow, I dang near forgot about this thread!

Wow. I miss having the time to shoot as much as I use to.

Regards,

Josh