PDA

View Full Version : Leading lesson

Charlie Two Tracks
07-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I have been trying to cast some boolits with my Lee .358 WC TL. I got it pretty close so I figured I'd load some up and see what happens. Well, I shot 20 rounds and then looked....... not a wise thing to do. I have never seen a barrel so leaded. I took a very long time to get it out of the barrel and cylinder. The bottom of the boolit was .358 and the middle was .355 and the sprue end was .357. I won't do that again. Much too hard to get all that lead out.

chris in va
07-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Lube used?

Bore diameter?

Powder charge/boolit weight?

Al_sway
07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
If you are getting a wasp shaped bullet as you described, then there may be some problem with the alloy that you are using, or the way in which you are casting. Perhaps a couple of pictures of the bullets would help. Before and after lubricating would be best.

jsizemore
07-18-2010, 10:51 PM
+1 on Al sway. What alloy are you using? If your using clip-on WW, you might try adding 1.5% by weight of tin or pewter.

I don't know how long you been casting, but you could try changing your technique. If using a bottom pour pot, you could increase the flow rate and increase the size of your sprue.

Good Luck

Charlie Two Tracks
07-19-2010, 07:30 AM
I have used straight wheel weights and range lead with 1 lb or solder to a 20 lb pot. The boolits drop right out of the mould. I LeeMented the mould and deepened the air grooves in the mould. I have run the temp from 600 to 950. It seems that pressure casting and that got me closer. The other moulds I use work great. It's just this one. will get the hang of it but I am not going to shoot boolits that are too small again. Under sized boolits are not a good thing. My revolver measures .358 for the cylinder and .357 for the bore. The forcing cone is at 11 deg.

Calamity Jake
07-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I have used straight wheel weights and range lead with 1 lb or solder to a 20 lb pot. The boolits drop right out of the mould. I LeeMented the mould and deepened the air grooves in the mould. I have run the temp from 600 to 950. It seems that pressure casting and that got me closer. The other moulds I use work great. It's just this one. will get the hang of it but I am not going to shoot boolits that are too small again. Under sized boolits are not a good thing. My revolver measures .358 for the cylinder and .357 for the bore. The forcing cone is at 11 deg.

I beleave you have mold problem with hour glass shaped boolit.
I would send it back to Lee.

If your solder is 95% tin then you are using way to much.
Anything over 2% is a waste. 2% of 20lb is 6.4 OZ
Try to keep the melt temp 750° to 775°

Charlie Two Tracks
07-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I will give that a try. thanks I don't have a camera that will take sharp pictures but I appreciate the help.

Tazman1602
07-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Some Chore-Boy bronze wool wrapped around a proper sized jag gets the lead out in about ten stroke man. Never an issue for me.

Art