PDA

View Full Version : Ruger KMVT .25-06 recommendations

Dragoon 45
07-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I have a Ruger 77 KMVT Target rifle in .25-06, 26" bull barrel. Had it three years now and except for using some factory foder to zero in the Nikon 6x18 scope have not really worked up a load for it yet. The rifle so far indicates that it should be a very good performer at longer ranges.

I want to shoot this rifle at 600 yards using 100 grain Sierra Matchkings, as my gun club has an active monthly 600 yd shoot. Is there a better bullet for long range accuracy work for the .25-06 out there?

What powder and primer combo's have worked best? My Sierra manual lists a lot of different powders but does not have a suggested accuracy load in it that I can find. (There is a possibility that I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other when reading) Reloader 17 and CCI LR primers has been recommended to me by a friend.

Also, anyone have a recommendation for a good cast bullet around 80-90 grains for plinking or occasional light varmit work? Not looking for speed just looking for accuracy.

Thank You.

DLCTEX
07-18-2010, 02:17 PM
We haven't really tested our 25-06 loads for accuracy, just know they are good to "minute of deer" to 472 yds. ( tested by DIL). Lyman doesn't state what 100 gr. bullet they used, but does say accuracy load was 52.gr. 4350 for 3202 fps @ 50400 cup.

AZ-Stew
07-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I used to have a Ruger 77 HB .25-06. I never shot match bullets from it. I shot the Speer 100gr BTs and the Hornady 120 HPs. If I recall, both loads used H-4831, but I don't remember the charge weights. They would do about MOA. Good, but not outstanding performance from a varmint rifle. I also had to shim those screwy Ruger scope mounts to get the rifle on paper at 100 yards. I eventually sold it and replaced it with a Remington 700 sporter barrel that shoots better. I'll tell you that the 100 gr bullet at 3,400 fps is a good wind bucker. It's deflection at 100 yards is half or less that of a .22 centerfire.

All that said, if you're shooting F-Class, I have concerns that your barrel will last very long. While the shooting isn't true rapid-fire, you will be burning a lot of powder in a small bore over a relatively short time. This will be hard on the barrel throat. I'm guessing that after 10-20 matches it won't be a really good cast bullet shooter any longer. There's some speculation in that statement, but you will wear the throat faster at that rate of fire. My $0.02.

Regards,

Stew