PDA

View Full Version : Very strange flyer problem

Patrick L
08-24-2006, 09:18 AM
I had posted a few days ago that while the Lee 120 FP mold I got thru a group buy last summer had proved unsuitable for an M1 carbine, it turned out to be a decent 50 yd plinker bullet on my '06 Springfield with 10 gr Green Dot.

Just for laughs I shot 5 shots of that load at both 50 and 100 yds thru my other Springfield, my match gun with the target sights, etc. At fifty yards I got 4 shots in an honest inch, just the prettiest little cluster right smack dead center of the bull. I actually thought it was all 5, with the 5th obviously a double. Then I saw the fifth hole a full FOOT to the right. I'm sure it was the fifth shot because I was using an SR21 target that was totally clean. Oh, at 100 yds it printed a nice little group of 4 in about 2 inches, and one flyer that opened things up to about 4 inches. Totally typical for me at 100 yds with iron sights.

What gives with that 50 yd flyer ? What could cause such a discrepency ? All of the shots felt "good" and I can't believe an air void could cause a bullet to veer that far off at 50 yds.

Your thoughts ?

David R
08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Just a couple of thoughts.

If I get little groups and one or two wide fliers, I usually find the boolit is just barely too small.

Did you clean ALL the metal fouling out of your match gun?

You shot a good load from one gun to another gun. Ya never know how its going to work. You changed the biggest variable.

Sounds like fun though.

David

Bass Ackward
08-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Then I saw the fifth hole a full FOOT to the right. What gives with that 50 yd flyer ? What could cause such a discrepency ? All of the shots felt "good" and I can't believe an air void could cause a bullet to veer that far off at 50 yds.

Your thoughts ?

Pat,

Lube breakdown or purging. Barrel temperature breaking down the lube enough is my guess because you said it was a later shot.

Options: Change to a better lube. Shoot a little slower. Go to a harder bullet. Change to a pistol primer. Or .... cut your powder charge to 9.5 grains and see what happens. Take your pick, just do one at a time.

Added: Sometimes brass will do that to ya. Some guys just throw those away, but I go over mine until I find the reason.