PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #4

Rocky Raab
07-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I just spoke with the folks at Lyman about their long-awaited manual #4. They had a delay when OSHA showed up and had issues with their casting area (the officious jerks) but that's sorted out now and they are putting the final loads in before going to press.

Soon, folks, soon.

fryboy
07-17-2010, 11:43 AM
thanx for posting this amigo ! , i had wondered what the hold up was and have been discussing this for months on another site where i usually hang out at

stephen perry
07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
NT

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

GeneT
07-17-2010, 01:07 PM
And what can owners of #3 look forward to? (That is, what's new and improved?)

GsT

fryboy
07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
supposedly data for other molds than lyman's as well as data for newer powders and that is a bunch since the #3 was published in the early 80's ,IMHO this book is long overdue and hopefully current data will also help draw new casters and reloaders into the fold ,i've been posting about it since the beginning of feb

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum95/11813.html

and the wait has us all umm waiting ......lolz

Rocky Raab
07-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Gene, I'll be getting a review copy. I'll report here in brief what it offers, and write a full review for publication. No hints so far, though.

TCFAN
07-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Gene, I'll be getting a review copy. I'll report here in brief what it offers, and write a full review for publication. No hints so far, though.

Thanks Rocky,will be looking forward to the review. Got mine on order at midsouth.....Terry

casterofboolits
07-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm waiting for the new book too.

The newest Lyman Reloading Manual, #49, gives good cast boolit data for calibers not in the old CBH.

Hardcast416taylor
07-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I`m on the back order list at MidSouth. Talked to them last time I had an order about when I can hope to get the Lyman book. Answer they had was Lyman told them "MAYBE" in August!Robert

Thecyberguy
07-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Also waiting. I hope it will be as complete as some are predicting.
Thanks for posting the info and i will be watching for your review.
Have a good 'un, thecyberguy

1Shirt
07-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks Rocky, I am also on the back order list. Understand the OSHA bit, as in a previous life I had to deal directly with them. That said, I would far rather have to deal with OSHA than the EPA. At least with OSHA I found most of the inspectors has some common sense. I can not say the same for the EPA. They are the most arrogant governmental agency that I have delt with-but that said, they would probably tie with the IRS.
1Shirt!:coffee:

MT Gianni
07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks Rocky, I am also on the back order list. Understand the OSHA bit, as in a previous life I had to deal directly with them. That said, I would far rather have to deal with OSHA than the EPA. At least with OSHA I found most of the inspectors has some common sense. I can not say the same for the EPA. They are the most arrogant governmental agency that I have delt with-but that said, they would probably tie with the IRS.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Currently OSHA is self funded. That means they have to fine to pay salary and bills. IME, it is rare to be completely in compliance. I look forward to #4.

WallyM3
07-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Self funding police is not a good idea in a free society, IMHO.

(deep sigh)

35remington
07-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Hopefully this time they won't use the very fast pistol/shotgun powders for everything. This was the major failing of the previous manual.

dromia
07-20-2010, 01:02 AM
I've got six copies on order from the importer for when it arrives here.

What ever its content, and the loads have to be more up to date or it would just be a reprint, we will have fun comparing three and four.

Regardles of its faults the third edition is an classic late 20th century cast boolit book, up there with Harrison's Cast Bullets, that helped many of us to understand casting and make and shoot good boolits long before the days of the internet and mass communication made information sharing so simple and available.