PDA

View Full Version : I know stupid question what is a top punch?

jtwodogs
07-17-2010, 10:34 AM
I have used LEE molds, including on Ranch Dog mol. Have one lyman .62 ball mold.
Afraid I am showing my ingnorance, but not to proud to ask what a top punch is used for?:veryconfu
Thanks

buck1
07-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Its used in RCBS,lyamn sizers to fit the nose of a boolit and push it in to the sizer die without deforming the nose. Lee dont use them as you only push on the base of the boolit.

Down South
07-17-2010, 10:49 AM
The top punch is used in boolit sizers. All sizers require a top punch. A sizer that sizes base first usually needs a top punch that conforms to the boolits nose to keep from deforming the nose while sizing. A sizer that sizes nose first likes a top punch that is flat and close to the diameter of the base of the boolit.

Down South
07-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Its used in RCBS,lyamn sizers to fit the nose of a boolit and push it in to the sizer die without deforming the nose. Lee dont use them as you only push on the base of the boolit.

Lee uses a top punch too but it has a flat nose and replaces the shell holder on the press used. LOL, since Lee sizes boolits upside down compared to other sizers, maybe we should call it a bottom punch.

jtwodogs
07-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys, I guess since my sizing dies are LEE, I for the time being do not have to worry about it.

armoredman
07-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Don't feel bad, I had no idea what it was either. I use Lee push through sizers myself.

Hang Fire
07-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Too bad Lee doies not make a greater variety of boolit sizers, honing them out is no big deal, unless one is several calibers removed form what they want.

Ed Gallop
07-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Lyman Top Punches are for Lyman molds and do not fit the nose on Lee cast of the same size. 30.30 Winchester flat nose is one of those. Same with the 9mm round nose and some of the 38/357. Lee does not make the top punches so I try other Lyman sizes and calibers top punches to find the best fit. Wish there was a conversion chart. Ed.

Down South
07-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys, I guess since my sizing dies are LEE, I for the time being do not have to worry about it.

Nope, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you bought the Lee Kit that comes in the round container, then you have everything you need, including a small bottle of mule snot. I have about 1/2 dozen Lee sizers and used them a bunch when I was pan lubing. In my opinion they work very well. About as well as any high end sizer and they size nose first which is a plus too. They may be a bit slower compared to a sizer that lubes too, but they work great.

ghh3rd
07-17-2010, 09:34 PM
I wasn't sure what they were for either until I decided to purchase a Lyman lube sizer. Remember that no question is a stupid question here.

SciFiJim
07-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Lee does not make the top punches so I try other Lyman sizes and calibers top punches to find the best fit. Wish there was a conversion chart. Ed.

http://www.castpics.net/

On the menu on the left side of the page, select "Top Punch References"

buck1
07-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Lee uses a top punch too but it has a flat nose and replaces the shell holder on the press used. LOL, since Lee sizes boolits upside down compared to other sizers, maybe we should call it a bottom punch.

wad cutter boat tails! LOL [smilie=l:

geargnasher
07-18-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.castpics.net/

On the menu on the left side of the page, select "Top Punch References"

BINGO!

I think there's a sticky somewhere on this site, too.

Techically, the "TOP PUNCH " is the "G" part of the Lyman 45/450/4500 lube/sizer, where "H" and "I" are the die body and bottom punch/ejector.

Gear

SciFiJim
07-18-2010, 05:08 PM
I think there's a sticky somewhere on this site, too.

It's the CastPics link on the bottom of every page.