PDA

View Full Version : Need serious help with target boolit

bpost1958
07-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I recently started shooting NRA bullseye competition again. The 50 yard slow fire target requires a load and gun able to hold a 1.5 inch group at that distance. I purchased a Mador built 45 that shot better than that off of a Ransom rest with 200 grain star bullet pushed by 4.4 grains of N-310. That Boolit is no longer available beside that, I want to cast my own!!!!!

I have the 452460 (200 SWC flat base) mold and the Lee 200 bevel base similar to the old H&G 68.

I am casting from wheel weights with a touch of tin added to help with fill out.

Questions;
Has anyone been able to solve the little air pocket flaw that tends to develop in the base of the 452460? The void leaves a tell-tale slight depression in the bullet base. When picking up Boolits after a match the flaw seems almost universal with many shooters unaware of the void. HELP!

Accuracy wise, is the flat base inherently more accurate? I load all match ammo single stage so ease of starting is not an issue.

Are there fellow Bullseye shooters out there????

Thanks for any help!

Cactus Farmer
07-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Hello, yep, bullseye is alive and well,just a little diminished.
452460 is my bullet too. I shoot 231 powder as it's a very clean burner.
I have never found the viod you mention. I build my pistol and it will shoot 100s if the holder does his part. I shot a 98 once with 9 10's and an 8. The front sight just went east and as hard as I tried it wouldn't go back. As I peered through my spotting scope I was happy it wasn't a 5. It could have been a miss as bad as my sight alinement was. Ever remember just one shot out of thousands? I do.
BTW, my pistol is very finicky about seating depth to aquire the very best in accuracy.

bpost1958
07-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Hello, yep, bullseye is alive and well,just a little diminished.
452460 is my bullet too. I shoot 231 powder as it's a very clean burner.
I have never found the viod you mention. I build my pistol and it will shoot 100s if the holder does his part. I shot a 98 once with 9 10's and an 8. The front sight just went east and as hard as I tried it wouldn't go back. As I peered through my spotting scope I was happy it wasn't a 5. It could have been a miss as bad as my sight alinement was. Ever remember just one shot out of thousands? I do.
BTW, my pistol is very finicky about seating depth to aquire the very best in accuracy.

When shooting indoors, 50 feet, I liked 231 also, what load are you shooting for the 50 yard Slow Fire stage?

GabbyM
07-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Air pocket is from super heated air inside your mould.
Several casting techniques around. what I like is a small fan blowing across the bench where I dump the mould. Then allow about four seconds for the fan to blow over the open mould.
It's about maintaining temps on the lead and mould.
Also critical is how you poor the molten lead. Your stream needs to be centered to the hole and of the correct velocity. I know that sounds like a lot but it's just a matter of developing a routine and staying in rhythm.

Lots of good basic info here. http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm

I have most issues with voids in little bullets like 100 grain 380 and 32 caliber pills. When I run the same moulds in a electric drive machine that stays consistent and has two fans voids do not appear.
A sunken base can also be simply from not having large enough sprue puddle.

On the H&G #68 the bevel base does not seam to harm accuracy. Bullet is still way base heavy balanced. I've never shot the Lyman.

Ease of starting is always important. I've an affection for Lyman M dies for neck expansion. Plus a proper fitting seater stem to assure proper bullet alignment.

If you run short on bullets give me a shout (PM) Usually have a decent stack of H&G #68's around here.

MtGun44
07-17-2010, 10:56 AM
452460 is superbly accurate in my .45 ACPs. I use about 3.5 gr of Bullseye or TiteGroup and
they are very accurate. Size groove diameter plus .001.

As to base fill out, I have no problems, but would suggest loosening the sprue plate screw
until the sprue plate swings freely and try again.

Bill

fecmech
07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
3.7-3.8 Bullseye and 452460 and the Saeco 130 over the same load are the favorites in my wad gun.

Blammer
07-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Clean the sprue plate, should take care of that void.

220swiftfn
07-18-2010, 01:09 AM
+1 on the sprue plate, or possibly a really old unvented mold??

Dan

DLCTEX
07-18-2010, 07:41 AM
I thought maybe you were referring to a pit in the base of the boolit due to tear-out or the one caused by pressure casting with the mould held in firm contact with the spout of a pot or ladle. The cure for the first is using Bullplate lube on the sprue plate and/or letting the sprue harden more before cutting. The second condition is cured by either pulling the mould away from contact with pot/ladle before the lead hardens and leave a molten puddle to fill shrinkage or leaving an air gap when pouring.

cajun shooter
07-18-2010, 09:51 AM
+1 on the Bullplate if you don't use it on your mold

stephen perry
07-18-2010, 08:43 PM
If you are using a pour pot buy a dipper and dip instead of pour. Turn the mold 90 deg clockwise and keep the dipper, I use a lyman, flush against the mold sprue plate. Turn the mold back 90 deg ccw let the lead sprue turn color and open it up. Drop the bullets and go at it again. Helps to have a second mold ready to go when your bullets started to get get frosted, let your first mold cool dwn some before going ack to it. I set my pot at 675 deg for most Casting I never go up on temp but do go down to fill out my bases when needed. Flux every 30 minutes I use paraffin. After a little practice you will get the bullets you want. Guaranteed.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Echo
07-19-2010, 01:06 AM
I recently started shooting NRA bullseye competition again. The 50 yard slow fire target requires a load and gun able to hold a 1.5 inch group at that distance.

Well, actually, a 3" group @ 50 yards can be a possible score. Chasing a possible w/10X can be done, I suppose, but it gets to be like chasing the rainbow.

And I use the -460...

bpost1958
07-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Well, actually, a 3" group @ 50 yards can be a possible score. Chasing a possible w/10X can be done, I suppose, but it gets to be like chasing the rainbow.

And I use the -460...

I've come close in practice, now I need to do it in a match! I'll keep that rainbow in mind as I align the sights and apply pressure, straight back, until the gun fires!

I added some more tin in the last batch, they are very pretty boolits for sure, seems a shame to shoot them.....:shock: