PDA

View Full Version : Certain Lee & Lyman CB's in the .44mag.

Maven
05-11-2005, 08:07 PM
All, What is your experience with the 430gr. Lee Tumble Lube bullet in the .44mag.? the 240gr. Lee SWC (plain base)? Also, has anyone tried Lyman's #429667, which has an ogival nose (flat point) joined to a Keith-type rear as in #429421? Are these capable of shooting into 1" (from a rest) with open sights @ 25 yds.? Thanks in advance for your help!

StarMetal
05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Paul

I don't know about the bullets you mentioned, but if you remember that Saeco mould I told you about I have for the 44, will shoot into an inch at 50 yards. I done it with the scoped S&W Classic I use to have, from a rest of course.

Joe

beagle
05-11-2005, 09:15 PM
The 429667 shoots pretty well in my guns. The mould I have casts them just a shade under .429" so I have to "beagle" them.

It both shoots and feeds well in the M94 .44 Magnum./beagle

Bass Ackward
05-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Are these capable of shooting into 1" (from a rest) with open sights @ 25 yds.? Thanks in advance for your help!

Paul,

The simple answer is yes. The bullets are capable. Usually the correct question is are we capable? :grin:

Maven
05-12-2005, 09:06 AM
All, I don't yet have the Ruger, but it is a step closer to being mine (I.e., if the price is right and "The Treasurer" approves.) I've fired the gun a few times and did OK with it, but it will need ~300 jacketed rounds (low pressure) to smooth the bore. I'll also need to slug the forcing cone, cyl. throats and bbl. to determine what dia. CB it needs. Btw, the reason I asked about the Lee TL design is that it may save the added expense of Lyman H & I dies if it casts >.429". Mountain Molds, via their design program, may also be an option.

Joe, I haven't forgotten your offer.

Bass, I can shoot 5 into 1" from a rest from my open-sighted .357mags. (NM Blackhawk & Dan Wesson), but the .44mag. may be a real "wrist rocket!"

Shuz
05-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Paul, I once owned the Lee 240g TL design in a 6 banger. In fact, I went thru 2ea six bangers before I gave the last one away.The first one broke at the sprue plate handle, and the second one started throwing boolits way outta round after a few casting sessions. Now the design itself seemed to shoot well before the mould went south. I never was able to get the tumble lube Lee Liquid Alox stuff to work for me. For me, Liquid Alox is the same as Marvelux is to others! The Lyman 429667 is a good boolit. Mine throws boolits in the .431-432 area from wheel weights. As Beagle said, works great in the Winnie levers. The larger ogive enables it to not jump crimp in my 329PD inertia puller! I'll be glad to lend you my 429667 DC mould.--Shuz

sundog
05-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Yup, the Ly cowboy boolit is the cat's meow in the lever gun, but gotta crimp on the ogive to get a good OAL to feed and function. Lately, I have grown rather partial to the Lee 200 grainer RF, partly because of the 6 lunger mould and partly because they shoot purdy good. Feed and function in the lever is no problem. The Lee has a crimp groove, too.

Shuz, they shoot good with GD, too!

I've had a few TL boolits over the years and never cared for them. One, a 158 RN for .38, keyholed in everything I shot it in. Needless to say it does not keep company in my stable.

Bass Ackward
05-12-2005, 11:57 AM
All, I don't yet have the Ruger, but it is a step closer to being mine

Bass, I can shoot 5 into 1" from a rest from my open-sighted .357mags. (NM Blackhawk & Dan Wesson), but the .44mag. may be a real "wrist rocket!"

Paul,

I just picked up my Redhawk this morning. .4317 to .4322 So not too bad, but it looks rough. Might hit it with 6 lappers and then start with some jacketed.

Bullet deisgn to me is not as important as fit. And the wrist rocket is going to surprise ya. I doubt that you will even notice the difference in less you stoke it. Try the traditionals in it first. Out of all of them I seem to have the best luck in Rugers with 16.5 grains of 2400 with anything from 225 to 255 grains.

Hope you get it.

Willbird
05-12-2005, 12:41 PM
My Redhawk has throats about like yours Bass, I plan to firelap it. But prelim. testing shows it to really like a 1200fps load of Universal under a 240 Ly-keith WW-water dropped, beagled and lube/sized to .432.

I have shot some LilGun in it too at 1500fps but not enough to really say how it groups, it made it's share of holes in a milk can at 100 yards at MROlivers place tho.

Bill

mroliver77
05-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Heck, I thought we were missing the milk can with the dust a flyin behind it . Dust was comming up behind and 20 foot left and then 10 foot right. After we walked out and looked we realised the dust was comming from boolits that had gone through both sides of the milk can. Willbirds rounds were warm enough to twist that big ole Redhawk at weird position in my worn out hands. Sure a nice trigger on it. Jay

David R
05-12-2005, 09:35 PM
The 429667 shoots pretty well in my guns. The mould I have casts them just a shade under .429" so I have to "beagle" them.

What is Beagle them?

JohnH
05-15-2005, 08:52 AM
David R, At the top of the page is a link in red letters "Check out the Cast Boolit Articles" Click on that and scroll down, all will be revealed.

Maven
05-15-2005, 08:02 PM
All, I didn't mean to be rude by not responding to your suggestions, but we've just returned from my daughter's graduation in Buffalo (She's DR. Jill now, as in Ph.D in music theory, but I can't explain just what it is that music theory is about!) and have been away from my 'puter until now. And yes, I will definitely keep your advice in mind if that Blackhawk comes my way.

waksupi
05-15-2005, 11:58 PM
All, I didn't mean to be rude by not responding to your suggestions, but we've just returned from my daughter's graduation in Buffalo (She's DR. Jill now, as in Ph.D in music theory, but I can't explain just what it is that music theory is about!) and have been away from my 'puter until now. And yes, I will definitely keep your advice in mind if that Blackhawk comes my way.

Maven, it's a good thing she went to Buffalo. Some years back, we had a gal who had just graduated from Juliard join us for some porch pickin'. She sat there with a guitar in her hands, not playing anything. Someone finally asked her why she wasn't playing. She wondered if we had any sheet music for the songs we were playing. None of us know anything about those dots on the page, at least not enough to hurt our playing! Apparently she learned more about musical progression in one evening, than she had been taught in several years of schooling, as she was catching on pretty well by the time we were done.