PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Mould

KCSO
08-23-2006, 08:47 PM
The hammer mould is making the rounds whoever needs it next post here, when you are done it goes to the next man and so on till those that want have.

Lee W
08-23-2006, 09:03 PM
I would love to make a few.
[smilie=s:
(it's the closest to "oooo, me first")

RugerFan
08-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Hammer mold??? Can you describe the end product and maybe a pic? Thanks for sharing your resource.

HTRN
08-23-2006, 09:26 PM
I have a coupla of them. Cook makes the molds, Brownell's sells some of them.

http://home.xnet.com/~rcallen/patent/hammermold.jpg

You either melt some lead in the scoop, or scoop up some molten lead from the pot. On the left side(hard to see), is a clamp, where the hammer shank goes in.

HTRN

obssd1958
08-23-2006, 10:51 PM
As long as we are sharing, I too would love the chance to make a hammer or two. I can definitely see a use for them (I have 4 "grown" children!!):twisted: [smilie=l:

Seriously, let me know when it's my turn, and I'll send my address to the current "holder of the mould"!:grin:

Thanks guys!!

Don

RugerFan
08-23-2006, 11:11 PM
I'll get in line as well. I'd like to make a couple hammers.

Thanks!

LET-CA
08-24-2006, 01:46 AM
Add me to the waiting list also. Thanks!

KCSO
08-24-2006, 09:51 AM
PM me with your shipping addresses and I will coordinate the transfers. As you get the mould you will get the address of who to pass it on to and the last man will send it back to me. This is a 3# head.

Bodydoc447
08-24-2006, 03:57 PM
What is the preferred material for the handle? I have one of the lead hammers from Brownells. They sell the handles and moulds separately as well. I was wondering what a good substitute would be.

Thanks,

Doc

KCSO
08-24-2006, 05:27 PM
A stick?

I use scrap oak turned to suit, an old hammer handle will work, or just a chunk of pipe with a hole for the lead to go through.

HTRN
08-24-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm actually planning on making a run of handles when I finally get around to fixing my lathe. Gonna make them out of 6061 and knurl the grip end.

I'll go down and look tommorrow, and let you know what diameter is used for what size mold.

HTRN

KCSO
08-25-2006, 10:04 AM
so far it goes like this A to L L toT to D and ?? from there. Just send your name and address there is no charge other than you shipping to the next man. Last man sends it back to me.

ANeat
08-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Hello everyone; Right now I have the hammer mold. Ill be forwarding to the next guy Monday. For a handle I used 1/2" rigid conduit. The hole in the mold for the handle is approx 7/8 so you would need something around that dia. 1/2 black iron pipe would be similar to the rigid conduit. I do electrical work so the conduit was free[smilie=1: On the end that goes into the mold I drilled several holes thru the conduit to lock the head into place.

The mold is similar to HTRN's pic except that the sprue come off the face of the hammer.

There is no clamp on the mold so you will need a C-clamp.

Other that that is just a matter of scooping up some lead and letting it cool off. If you dont like that way it turns out just stir the pot with it for a few seconds and it will melt away and you can try again:roll:

One thing I forund is that a 3lb hunk takes a couple minutes to cool down inside. About my second or third hammer I got it out of the mold a little to soon and it was like cracking an egg. All the lead inside was still molten and ran out:neutral: So after the mold got warmed up I gave it a few minutes between casts.

I melted down a pot of WW and made 8 nice hammers, a few for me and a few for a couple of friends. They turn out real nice. Finished off by making some ingots:-D
Thanks to KCSO for providing the Mold:drinks:

Adam

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Image031.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Image032.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Image033.jpg

KCSO
08-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I have the tongs that were made to hold the mould closed, but they were blacksmith made and are 3' long. Anyone one else who wants to get in line just PM me and we will add you to the rotation.

LET-CA
08-26-2006, 10:11 PM
I just purchased one of the "factory made" hammer handles from Midway USA. They had one left for $8.59. I'll get some conduit for additional handles as pointed out below. Looking forward to this. Thanks again for the kind offer.

Lenny

ANeat
08-26-2006, 10:24 PM
One thing about a clamp; the C-clamp works real good. The conduit I used just slides into the mold so I couldnt really use it as a handle to dip into the pot with. With the C-Clamp on there it made ir real easy to handle the mold and keep the hammer handle where it needed to be.

If I would of had more conduit I would have made more, Its almost as fun as casting bullets:-D Although Ive got enough hammers now for years of beating on stuff...

Adam

joatmon
08-26-2006, 11:38 PM
PM sent Thanks Aaron

KCSO
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
The last name I have on the list is MT Gianni. If any one else is interested let me know or I will close this out now.

Old Ironsights
08-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Count me in. PM coming.

I also brought it up to the Levergunners (many of who check in here semi-regularly) just in case they missed it.

canon6
08-28-2006, 01:54 PM
I would like to be on the list PM on the way Doug

TedH
08-29-2006, 08:05 AM
PM sent.

Randy in Arizona
08-29-2006, 03:10 PM
I am interested also!:castmine:

LET-CA
09-02-2006, 10:09 AM
The mould has made it to me, just as my "store bought" handle arrived from Midway. I'll get mine done and pass it along quickly.

KCSO
09-02-2006, 11:16 AM
I'll finish up the rotation list Monday, then that will be it.

georgeld
10-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Damn, just got this opened again. Hope it's not too late.

On those handles, find a piece of heater hose that will be a tight fit to slip on the pipe. That hose will give a real good cushioned grip and be much easier to hold on to.

Lube the pipe and inside the hose with liquid dish soap. That'll let it slide on easy enough. Then when it dries off real good, just wash the excess off. The dried soap inside it will act like a good glue so the hose won't come off IF it's a good tight fit.

montana_charlie
11-24-2006, 10:49 PM
If anybody wants to have his own, there is a pair on eBay right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Lead-Hammer-Ladle-Molds-by-Lawrence-H-Cook-Inc_W0QQitemZ250053883006QQihZ015QQcategoryZ13876Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
CM