PDA

View Full Version : What is the Real Legit Scoop on Shipping LONG GUNS Via USPS???

Suo Gan
07-16-2010, 01:58 PM
I have been out of the loop for a few years, and you know how things can change. So my question is what is the real scoop on shipping LONG GUNS from a non FFL (me) to an FFL? I know handguns must be shipped via another carrier (UPS, FEDEX) but what about rifles and shotguns? The UPS lady said rifles need to be sent second day air now...Everyone is just so screwed up on what they think they know vs what reality is on the subject of shipping guns.

Would like this to be a thread based on fact and not opinion and conjecture [smilie=1:.

Again, I am not asking about handguns...just long guns and if they can be shipped via USPS.

Suo Gan
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

scrapcan
07-16-2010, 02:09 PM
The USPS personnel at the local *** all tell me to read it for myself that they cannot interpret their rules, or to call the BATFE office handlign this area. If you find out what the scoop is you will have gotten further than I did.

Bloodman14
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
FWIW, take the gun in question to a local FFL holder (pawn shop, gun store, etc.) and have them ship it for you. There may be a service fee, around here it is about $20.00. The local PO is next to useless on this matter.

ktw
07-16-2010, 02:47 PM
FWIW, take the gun in question to a local FFL holder (pawn shop, gun store, etc.) and have them ship it for you. There may be a service fee, around here it is about $20.00. The local PO is next to useless on this matter.

I sent a handgun to an out of state FFL once this way. I have sent a couple back to the manufacturer via UPS (drop off at UPS service center). Local dealer/USPS is cheaper.

I have mailed long guns out of state through USPS without any problems (drop off at local Post Office). Though I haven't had any problems going this route, I would insure if for full value and attempt to make the package look as little like a firearm as possible. e.g. don't slap a mailing label on a gun case, find a box to put the gun case in.

-ktw

wrench
07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I've shipped long guns many times via USPS. Some post offices will hem and haw, but as long as it's going to an FFL, or is an antique, it's legal.
Nowadays, I have a FEDEX account. I box up the gun, weigh it, print a shipping label, and drop it off. Cheaper than USPS, and easier.
Beware, some FFLs will not accept a gun unless it's shipped by an FFL, check before you ship.

knifemaker
07-16-2010, 05:09 PM
My local post office will ship long guns from me to a FFL. They will question you about having any live ammunition with the gun . Will not ship if there is live ammo in the package. and I live in CA. That is northern CA. not the anti gun southern CA.

RELH

oldtoolsniper
07-16-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't know on the shipping but go to a bike shop for a box you can cut down.

leftiye
07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, they bust them up sometimes. Don't ask.

zomby woof
07-16-2010, 07:29 PM
go to the USPS web site and print out there rules for shipping long guns. Take the package in and hand them a note with their rules printed out and also saying the gun is unloaded and no ammunition is in the box, shipping to an FFL etc... They'll read it and go to the postmaster, the postmaster will say "Your all set". I've done this several times and have not had a problem.

The women at the desk told me "you know our rules better than we do".

07-16-2010, 08:24 PM

So true, and I wouldn't expect anything more of them. I've had to educate the local post office. Even then, I felt that it all fell on deaf ears.

Bloodman14
07-16-2010, 09:19 PM
When I sent some 316299's out as part of Gray Wolf's benefit, I had to explain the difference between [I]live ammo and boolits!

Tom W.
07-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I sent a rifle to have it re-chambered. I insured it at full value, sent it with all the bells and whistles, and had to show the people in the PO that I could do so. You can also mail it to a non FFL holder if it's within the same state.
They, of course, pulled out the BIG BOOK and tried to tell me that I couldn't, but I
had( as previously mentioned above ) printed chapter and verse in my possession, and all went well.

kingstrider
07-17-2010, 08:31 AM
I always ship long guns via FedEx. Less BS than dealing with the locals at the post office and cheaper to boot.

Shiloh
07-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Sent out a rifle for a new barrel. Used UPS. No issues. Be sue an insure the heck out of it.

SHiloh

Char-Gar
07-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Easy answer. If you are mailing YOUR longun for repairs and modification AND it will come back to you when finished, you can mail it without problems. You must tell the PO folks what it is and allow them to open it to check it's loaded/unloaded status, if they want.

You CANNOT mail a longgun if you are transfering ownership or possession to someone else. It is just that simple.

TomAM
07-18-2010, 09:57 AM
go to the USPS web site and print out there rules for shipping long guns. Take the package in and hand them a note with their rules printed out and also saying the gun is unloaded and no ammunition is in the box, shipping to an FFL etc... They'll read it and go to the postmaster, the postmaster will say "Your all set". I've done this several times and have not had a problem.

This is what has worked for me. The post office personnel here don't know the law and they freak out when I try to mail a long gun. Show them their own rules in writing. It works well.

mpmarty
07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I took my Marlin 1895 into the Post Office in its factory box and the lady took one look and told me it was illegal to bring a firearm into the post office. She called the cops. I waited around for half an hour for the police to arrive and the sargent who came in took one look at the boxed rifle and asked the lady "what's your problem?".
The postmaster came out of his cave after a few minutes and they shipped my rifle. The cop waited outside and we had a laugh at the stupidity of our federal employees.:bigsmyl2:

Suo Gan
07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
The reason I am asking is that the UPS office I have been dealing with now says all long guns going to a dealer must be shipped second day air. That is a recent change because the ones I recently shipped were via ground. Called them and no one really knows and there is conflicting info. So thought I would check out USPS...but decided I am not going to go there. FEDEX I guess. Does FEDEX let them go ground? Thanks

chris in va
07-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I wanted to send my HiPoint carbine back to the factory. They pointed out the triangular USPS shipping boxes work great for that, and it did! I sent it UPS, so I just flipped the box inside out.

The reason I am asking is that the UPS office I have been dealing with now says all long guns going to a dealer must be shipped second day air

They're flat wrong. It's not federal policy, it's their own internal thing. Seems gun theft is rampant with ground transport.

Tom W.
07-18-2010, 11:53 PM
You CANNOT mail a longgun if you are transfering ownership or possession to someone else. It is just that simple.

You can if it's within your own State..

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns
Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

and this from the BATFE website....
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

leadman
07-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Tom W. has it right. I have shipped long guns out of state, just had a copy of the ffl where it was going. Post Office has a plastic pouch for this and they put it on the outside of the package. No problem.