PDA

View Full Version : Question

glock19stang
07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Hey guys,

I slugged my bore and it's .357, it's a lone wolf Glock 19 barrel. My casted boolits sized are also .357. out of the mold they drop .358. I know many would go .358 or even .359. I am using Titegroup but how much should I use? I have the Lee 124 gr TC mold. winchester brass and primer. What's a good length? Should I just load them as they drop?

If I missed any useful information please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to provide the answer. This is ammo for the range only. I don't hunt and well I wouldn't want to depend my life on casted ammo.

I am using pure lead guys. the hardness is .088 I need to confirm this number but it wasn't very solid. I want to see how this goes before I add wheel weights. I noticed a lot were more focused on barrel slugging so what do you guys think?

gray wolf
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
What do I think ?
If your post is a joke--hey I will laugh with the best of em.
If you are serious just stop what you are doing and slow down, Step away from everything.

I am using Titegroup but how much should I use?
What does your loading book say to use, and I hope you have at least two.

What's a good length? Should I just load them as they drop?

What does your loading book say, I hope you have at least two of them.

If I missed any useful information please feel free to ask

My friend I think you missed a lot.

I don't hunt

That may be a good thing.

I wouldn't want to depend my life on casted ammo.

That's also a good thing.

I am using pure lead guys.

Get lots of chor boy

COLOR="red"]
I noticed a lot were more focused on barrel slugging [/COLOR]

You need to know why we are focused on barrel slugging.

so what do you guys think?

Now that I have settled down I will tell you what I think.
First off welcome to reloading one O one.
You need to get some good reloading books and read them, then read them again.
Then you need to understand why I just slammed you.
Then you need to write on the black board 1,000 times.
Reloading is not a joke and I could get hurt, or hurt someone else.

Then take each one of your questions one at a time and come back and ask them again.
I truly hope you are pulling are chain.
Please you need a lot of help and we can give it to you, just stay away from the primers and powder until we can reach some kind of understanding as to how to get you on the right track.
A little offense intended.

Sam

fredj338
07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
I agree w/ gw, slow down my friend, do some add'l. research. If your LW bbl slugs 0.357,", send it back IMO. You may not even be able to get a cartridge to fit into the chamber using a 0.358" bullet.
TG, terrible powder choice for a newb, which sounds like you might be, I don't want to assume. TG gets spikey near the top end & is very unforgiving of OAL errors in high pressure rounds like the 9mm. The Lyman #49 has load data for lead bullets. The 120gr load is close to the Lee, you could use that as starting data. Good luck shooting pure lead in the 9mm at anything above 850fps, it's gonna lead, especially w/ TG.

MtGun44
07-16-2010, 03:25 PM
You are correct to slug your bore. You should use unsized if they cast at .358-.359 if they
will chamber.

You should have your own reference load books or use the Hodgdon web page to find out
the proper load for your cartridge with your selected powder.

Pure lead is too soft for 9mm. You should use straight wheel weights rather than pure lead for a
9mm. MAY be OK to mix some pure with the wwts but only a modest amount like 10-20 percent.

If you don't have any loading books with load data, how have you learned to reload?

Please be safe.

Bill

glock19stang
07-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I'm not offended I understand as a noob i'm going to be bashed and I'm ready for it. (that is the only way we all learn anyways). I did buy some books online but I was just trying to get the info before getting the books. The lee book is being shipped to me. I now plan on purchasing the Lyman book as well. As far as powder goes I was only able to find TG in my local gun shops. What powders do u guys recommend? I wouldn't mind purchasing another.

Fred why should I send the barrel back if it is slugging at .357?

Gray wolf thanks for the info it was an honest question but I should have waited for the books for asking.

Once again thanks a lot guys. And thankfully I haven't tried putting the primers or powders together. I just have everything ready to go and enter the casting world!!!!

fredj338
07-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Fred why should I send the barrel back if it is slugging at .357?

Gray wolf thanks for the info it was an honest question but I should have waited for the books for asking.

Once again thanks a lot guys. And thankfully I haven't tried putting the primers or powders together. I just have everything ready to go and enter the casting world!!!!
You'll want to shoot a bullet sized at least 0.001" over groove dia. If the chamber is cut minimum, it may not chamber a round loaded w/ a 0.358" bullet. Most groove dia run 0.355"-0.356" allowing you to use a 0.356"-0.357" bullet. IMO, the bbl groove dia is too large, I would send it back, but that is me. It doessn't mean you can't get it to work, you may have issues though.
Powders for the 9mm, IMO, start @ WST & go slower, if you want factory equiv vel. WSF is a great powder for any bullet type in the 9mm or 40.

RobS
07-16-2010, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=glock19stang;948412]Fred why should I send the barrel back if it is slugging at .357?QUOTE]

one reason is because it could be difficult to impossible chamber a loaded round with a .358-.359 bullet, but if that isn't a problem to chamber the larger bullet reloads I can't see it being a huge deal breaker.

RobS
07-16-2010, 08:31 PM
fredj338 also had a good powder suggestion........Winchester WSF is a great all around powder for 9mm. Hodgdon HS-6 is good as is Accurate Arms #7

44fanatic
07-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I am also a new reloader and caster. Great advice from these guys here.

Once you get your books, work up your loads...Dont load max loads to begin with.

Be patient, take your time and follow all of the reloading instructions and warnings.

I did start reloading without a mentor but I spent a year reading material that I had downloaded (down time in Afghanistan) knowing that I wanted to start reloading. If you know someone who reloads, spend some time with them.