PDA

View Full Version : television??

bigted
07-16-2010, 12:08 PM
maybe im beating a dead horse here and possibly this isnt even appropriat to this forum. if not please forgive a numb mind and take no offense to the ramblings of an ol fart.

i wanny know why the outdoors channel does not do historical correct hunts to include historical type guns and clothes correct to the period. this to include the hunting with the vulnerable and much talked about ROUND BALL cast with our own hands around the campfire so to speak.

i guess more to the point is why we as shooters allow ourselves to "settle" for the shows that they deem fun and attractive. we are in numbers ,,not to be discounted for our desires and we also have money to spread to the folks that would cater to us. i for one would lend my name to any list of folks that want and desire a quality show devoted to the persuit of game or target with the muzzel loaders from our past and that they be historically correct with the guns themselves as well as the clothing and "stuff" that they use to acomplish the gratifying puff of smoke and sparks that accompany the shooting of either cap or flint soot burners.

i like and subscribe to the outdoor channel and enjoy their programing as much as the next person. however i wander why it is that we dont ever get the stuff that most likely will bring the house down as far as origanal programing.

here is what i suggest; let us all get together with a list that will indicate numbers of us and submit it to the channel for their attention so maybe we can get another desireable show weekly to set our alarms for. as well as another venue for the companys that sell stuff to us to showcase their goods on a televised show much like mid-usa does for most of the shows that currently have time there.

well there you have it and i hope i havnt spoken out of turn nor offended too many folks here. i know that if i have misspoken i will no doubt be told about it and i welcome such "suggestions" as for my heritage and so forth...thanks for the space to spout off from an ol grump and upstarter.
Ted

thx997303
07-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, I don't believe traditional stuff like that brings in enough viewers.

They are all about making money, and action games and modern stuff sells better to a larger portion of shooters than does traditional.

It's unfortunate, but it is the way they work.

Calamity Jake
07-16-2010, 02:53 PM
What thx said!!! It's all about the % $'s

Echo
07-16-2010, 07:00 PM
And it's not the shooters that count - it is the viewers! And the more , the better...

DIRT Farmer
07-16-2010, 08:31 PM
The industry that pays the bills wants to sell new stuff. look at the archery hunts. You will not see any one hunting with a bow that is for lack of a better term, last years model, or nocks that don't light up. If they did a show where they showed you how to build a "Tradional Rifle" abd run balls over the fire, and chip flints who would be left to sponser the show. Plus when you get a good rifle that you tak care of you don't need a new rifle next year because the barrel is rusted up. This is one of the reasons the "Tradional sports" are losing menbership. The place you learn is from the expert on the TV show and their on-line blurbs. A new shooter dosent know where they can buy black powder or how to clean their gun let alone how to start with a flint gun. At the range, the old grey beard is just behind the times because the expert has told them you can't kill a deer with less than three pellets and a sabot, and of course it takes a 209 to light it. When I teach Hunter Ed I take my flinter in and tell the students I have killed over 30 deer, only one required the second shot with a round ball and 60 grns of ffg. When they get up for break most will never look at the flinter, but gather around the latest and greatest. A few of the parents look at my rifle and I have offered to have a M/L class but they just look baffeled. I don't know the answer but the ones of us left need to join our local and national M/L groups while ther are a few left.

Tom W.
07-16-2010, 09:30 PM
And most of the kids snicker when "round balls" are mentioned. Kinds ticks me off a bit.

jameslovesjammie
07-17-2010, 11:54 AM
The industry that pays the bills wants to sell new stuff. look at the archery hunts. You will not see any one hunting with a bow that is for lack of a better term, last years model, or nocks that don't light up.

You need to look up Tred Barta. He builds his own long bows and does things the hard way...not because he has to but because that is the way he believes it SHOULD be. How many guys have the guts to hunt coyotes on their show with along bow? Oh, and his program also shows him missing.

Another one I like to watch is Manny on Savage Wild. I've seen him take wild hogs with a spear. Now THAT is traditional hunting.

DIRT Farmer
07-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I will have to agree with you on Tred Barta, although I havent seen him for a while. The hunt, not the kill seems to be his point.

AZ-Stew
07-17-2010, 02:23 PM
And most of the kids snicker when "round balls" are mentioned. Kinds ticks me off a bit.

Nothing new here. When I was in third grade (1958) our teacher (Mrs. Johnson, one of my favorites) read us a book about early Indiana, circa 1820, called "The Bears Of Blue River" (http://www.amazon.com/Bears-River-Library-Indiana-Classics/dp/0253105900#_). The main character was a young boy named Balser. Most of the kids in the class laughed about it. That was over 50 years ago. Despite the snickering, most of us ended up pretty well educated.

Regards,

Stew

Harter66
07-19-2010, 12:17 AM
I was on another forum several years ago and a fellow was all on about this new hot rod in-line. It would burn all of 5 pellets in the 28" bbl behind a 400gn bullet. I 1st thought "*** that is just wow"then I thought "hey my Hawken with 110gn behind a PRB matches an 06' at the muzzle". So I grab my then brand new lyman book and thumb through the 45s. Just to get a comparitive feel for the throttle athority. I found that a 45-110 will match a .458 win-mag . Now outside of griz or Kodiac wth do I need that much rifle for? Its magnumits.

I think it is sad that its all about the almighy buck. Maybe that's why I shoot boolits in a 50 year old rifle for a 100 old cartridge.

RugerFan
07-19-2010, 05:00 AM
+1 on Tred Barta. I remember on one episode where he shot a grizzly bear with his long bow. Unfortunately Tred was paralyzed last year and won't be doing that type of show anymore.

I think a traditional hunting show would fly, but it would take the right personality, funding, sponsors, etc to step up.

btroj
07-19-2010, 07:59 AM
How do you corporate sponsors for a show where the guy makes most of his own gear?
Companies pay money to get their logo in front of a camera- no air time, no money.
Might make a neat show but does it SELL anything? No it wouldn't so no companies would want to be a sponsor.
Sorry guys, it is all about money, not entertainment.

Geraldo
07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
How do you corporate sponsors for a show where the guy makes most of his own gear?
Companies pay money to get their logo in front of a camera- no air time, no money.
Might make a neat show but does it SELL anything? No it wouldn't so no companies would want to be a sponsor.

Just like magazines, in the end it's all about advertising. You think you're reading an article about whatever, but the reality is that they want you seeing the full page ads that break it up. On TV the sponsors dictate what is on the show either by producing it or by giving the host (read-shill) the gear to use and the place to hunt. When a program starts out, "I'm here at the beautiful Wazoo ranch in West Podunk hunting exotic hornless rhino with the new Blastomatic inline..." you've heard all you need right there.

RugerFan
07-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Before he got hurt, Tred Barta's show had a good run and all he hunted with was a long bow. It can work.

bearcove
07-19-2010, 07:46 PM
What's television?

STP22
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
I gave up on the boob tube some time ago. Don`t miss it all.

I`m still watching Gettysburg, The Searchers, Lonesome Dove and the like over and over, and don`t miss the typical programming at all.

btroj
07-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Yes, Tred used a longbow. But who were his sponsors? Maybe a truck company? Outdoor clothing? Optics?
We are talking about a totally period hunt here. That means no "production" items. That ,means no corporate sponsors. I think it would be interesting tv but I don't see it happening.
You also need a dynamic personality. That is not easy to find. A person who is "into" period gear, hunting, etc is most likely not into becoming a tv star. Let's face it, how many of us would want the job?

cajun shooter
07-20-2010, 08:24 AM
I remember in the 60's they had a outdoor show that I watched if not fishing or hunting. I have CRS at 63 so I can't give you the name but Fred Bear was on quite often. The things that man did with a long bow were unreal. I remember one show that was in Alaska and he was in this thick brush just yards from this huge grizzley. The bear came up on it's rear legs and Fred nailed him. I left the house and went to find a long bow that day. That did not work out so well.

jameslovesjammie
07-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Yes, Tred used a longbow. But who were his sponsors? Maybe a truck company? Outdoor clothing? Optics?

Well, he built his longbow and makes his own arrows. I don't think he was sponsored by a truck company, since his tow vehicle was a early 90's Ford F250 with a straight six, dual stacks, a flat bed, and a really low gears. Camo? Maybe. Optics? I know he wore glasses, does that count?

He may not have made his own leather garb, but he did take a ferrell hog by dropping out of a tree and killing it with a knife.

Technology? Not for Barta.

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f244/captain-tred-barta-hunting-tech-hunt-53103.html

He did suffer a spinal stroke and was diagnosed at the same time with a rare blood disorder. He is currently paralyzed from the chest down. It doesn't stop him.

Look him up. I bet you'll like him.