PDA

View Full Version : Lee Moulds

KCSO
08-23-2006, 07:38 PM
There has been considerable discussion of Lee moulds on the forum and some are of the opinion they are nothing but cheap junk. I hold a position somewhat to the contrary and here is why...

I recently wanted a 158 gr. rnfp mould for making up a few loads for my cowboy shooting. The Lee 158 RNFP at 358 diameter looked to be just what I needed and so I ordered one. When the mould came in it cast a nice shiny bullet right at .356 and on the 10th bullet the hinge pins dropped out as they wern't staked in. I put the pins back in and beagled the mould and got a bullet to drop at 357 before I lost the pins again. ( I didn't stake them for a reason) Since my Rossi 92 needs 358 and the mould was advertised at 358 I... didn't B&%$h on a forum andI didn't moan and wail I spent $4.00 and sent the mould back to Le with a nice letter about my problem. 5 days later I get MY mould back with new pins staked in place and the cavities reamed out to drop a bullet of 3585, no charge. This has been pretty typical of my dealings with Lee. Yes you need to know a little about casting and moulds to have real good sucess with Lee, but for the most part you get your money's worth. I could have ordered an RCBS or Saeco for $65.00 and I might not have had to send it back, but for what I intended to do (cast a couple hundred bullet to bang gongs with) I can't complain. My total investment in this mould is 18.95. Out of the 15 or so Lee moulds I have I have only had to send two back in 20 years. They sometimes need a litle doctoring, but If I wasn't willing to do that I would go to RCBS or Mountain Moulds. I checked and I have a Lee mould I bought in 1976 that still casts good bullets and has cast several thousand of the same. That seems to me to be my money's worth.

If Carpetman wan't to hijack this thread to abuse me for my bad language let fly, I'm a Baaaddd boy!

KCSO
08-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Sorry Carpetman I meant Jumptrap. I was thinking of you and wondering when you would chime in on another thread.

Dale53
08-23-2006, 09:04 PM
KCSO;
I have a good number of moulds - not surprising since I have been casting in excess of fifty years. That includes some years of commercial casting. I have several custom moulds from a number of fine makers. I have many Lee moulds. I have been very satisfied with my Lee moulds. I HAVE done some pre-casting work on many of my moulds, not limited to my Lee moulds. Mostly removing burrs and just consider this "Pre-Prep".

I cast a "mean" bullet and am not satisfied with less than really good bullets for any purpose, even plinking. Heck, it takes no longer to do it right after you learn how. right?:mrgreen:

Lee moulds are SUCH a value. I particularly favor the six cavity moulds and frankly am somewhat spoiled by them. I cast single cavity "shoot from moulds" for my match rifles and it seems SO-O-O slow!!:roll:

Long live Lee, in fact, long live ALL of our suppliers. Without our good suppliers, we would have no sport.

Dale53