PDA

View Full Version : Remington 570 and a Rohm model 66

ka0tqv
07-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Both are 22 rimfires. The 66 is a German made Colt 45 lookalike or clone.

The 580 is a single shot rifle with a drop comb. It has two cousins, the 581 and 582, clip and magazine fed respectively. There is also a smooth bore, rarely ever seen
One notable feature of the 580 is that like the model 788, it has a six lug bolt. Not easily seen till you remove the bolt. This has to be an aid to accuracy. My rifle was mfd in 1973 and have not fired it yet as I just bought it. Time will tell.

ka0tqv
07-16-2010, 05:41 PM
On July 17 2010 I got my chance to sight in my 580. Standard practice for the .22 long rifle is dead on at 20 yds, 1"" high at fifty and dead on again at 85 yds. Using CCI Blazer ammo I was more than pleasantly surprised. 5 shots, smaller than a penny at 20 yds. Much better than the target on top. Using the Glenfield 25 and the same rest, five 5 shot groups averaged 3\4"" to 1" groups.
One drawback, horrendous trigger pull. Measured 5 lbs. Anyone ever try to work on the sear on the 570 trigger? Would like to hear from you.

Buckshot
07-17-2010, 01:53 AM
...............I believe your Remington 570 is actually a 580 series. Remington also used the same action for their more upscale 540 series. I have a 581 (clip feed)and a 582 (tube feed). Both are nicely accurate but they're not match rifles, and weren't built as such. The actions are certainly capable of locking up correctly, and that's half the battle with 22RF accuracy.

Both rifles share the common 22RF rifle malady and that's a single screw attachment to the stock. My 582 I bought on December 12th, 1975 for something like $89? I don't exactly recall how much, but that date was the day before I got married. My mom gave me heck telling me I was getting married and I couldn't afford to be so frivilous. I said that was exactly WHY I bought it, as I figured it was my last chance for some time!

...............Buckshot

ka0tqv
07-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Buckshot - You're right. Stamped on my rifle is Remington 580. I've got an original instruction brochure and it lists a 580 SB (smooth bore). Very rarely seen. Another goof. I called a Monte Carlo stock a dropcomb. I'm almost eighty and one foot on the edge of a deep hole. Hope I don't have too many people looking for a rifle that never existed. However the only other 22 I ever owned with good accuracy was a Winchester 52 with a bull barrel and wearing a Litschert scope. I remember removing the target, you just picked the heads off the four thumbtacks. CW

Mk42gunner
07-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I bought a Model 580 for 5 dollars when I was 16. I used it one year then traded it for $10 and a set of hubcaps for my pickup. I now have a Model 581 (box magazine) the has been shortened at both ends to fit a kid.

On the Cast Bullet Association website there is a thread by Ed Harris about bunny guns, it has pictures of an article regarding gunsmithing the 580 series Remingtons. I haven't done my trigger yet, but the instructions made sense.

Good luck,

Robert

BillP
07-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Pic of a Rohm Super 66 in 9"...one of the better RGs and sold under other names too.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/barnacle_2006/guns009.jpg

ka0tqv
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Went out this AM in the good old Kansas heat and tried my luck at 50 yds again. This time I used American Eagle (Federal) rounds. Got a nice perfectly rounded group 1 in high using the Federals. Found that by holding the forearm and exerting a little downward pressure, I could get a much better group. Still got that @#$%^&* heavy trigger pull. With my eyesight, I guess it means a trip to the gunsmith. Still getting along OK with him. He hasn't broke me yet. He has to make a living too.

********** SOME NONMEAMINGFUL STUFF *********************************
A happy target shooter fires only one shot groups!
He can compete with anyone and the best they can do is to tie him!

What is the difference between sex and senile?
Please tell me.
They both start with se and after that, I forget.

My wife sez that spreading catnip a couple feet in front of the target wont help much.
I tell her you're not a target shooter. After all, CASTBOOLITS could just as well originated as CATBOOLITS. I noticed that when I went out to shoot this AM, she kept Tabby in the house.

barrabruce
08-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Yeah I got the 581 Lh model. looks like the same trigger.

All I done to mine was to disassemble and polish.
(don't have tu)

I replaced or cut down the trigger return spring or replaced it with a bit of one off a pen.

Put some cardboard under the leg of the trigger assembly when you put the roll pin back in the action.
You can then adjust the little screw to lighten up the engagement on the bolt shear.

You can take it apart if you like but apart from a light honing to all but the shears there's not much you can do.

See if I can remember!!!
I may take mine out and have another look.
I put another screw in mine for a 2 point bedding system and free floated the barrel.

Shoot better than it ever did now!!!

Hope that makes sense.

Barra

barrabruce
08-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Another lurk I have done to mine is to reduce the headspacing on it.
After many years of shooting mine had at least 5 thou to the barrel lock up.
It in mine is counter sunk on the barrel for the rounds rims.
Just using paper or a feeler gauge after taking out the extractors and firing pin spring assemble (left hand thread) off the back gives you better feel.

A bit of bearing blue or white board marker to check the engagement of the locking lugs while your at it.

I can't for the life of me get the pin that retains the swivelling head on mine out. :(.

So a made a horseshoe looking spacer out of a feeler gauge to slide in there.

I have temporarily suck it place with super glue.

Quick test today (one quick 10 shots groups of each ammo )

With some .22 cheap target ammo it seems to like.

Its favourite of the 2 grouped a bit worse ..but the 2nd best grouped tighter and with less 3/4 vert string at 50 yrds.
No flags and just hammered them through on a make do rest hunting style.

It has made it more "consistent"

8 out of ten woodu shot the eye out of a rabbit at 50yrds no sweat.

Hope it helps
Barra