PDA

View Full Version : What kind of bullet is this ?

fourdollarbill
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Is this a HBWC or some kind of SD hollow core something...
It is .359 and looks to be around 140-150 gr.
Very soft lead.

I would assume 38spl target speeds but that is all I know.

Any history on this style?

HammerMTB
07-14-2010, 09:50 PM
It's a hollow base wadcutter, probably 148 gr.
Commonly used in .38 Special target loads.

fourdollarbill
07-14-2010, 09:55 PM
What is with the center pin in the middle of the hollow core? I never seen one like that.

HeavyMetal
07-14-2010, 10:02 PM
I think thats the original Hydro Shock bullet!

Ment to be loaded Hollow area forward to expand upon hitting a target. The post was supposed to aid expansion at very low velocity.

Original intention was to make a 1 1/2 or 2 inch 38 special into a 45 AUTO wanna be.

I did see some impressive pictures fired in water but never saw the stuff for sale anywhere!

The whole thing died a silent death when every police dept in the world decided that magazine capacity was more important than marksmenship and they all bought Hi cap 9mm's!

captaint
07-14-2010, 10:17 PM
I think Heavy Metal is right. Looks like the old original HS. Meant for meaty targets.. enjoy Mike

RayinNH
07-14-2010, 10:17 PM
HeavyMetal is correct. The original Hydroshock bullet before the now familiar Federal Hydrashock. My sister has 500 factory loaded rounds with this bullet...Ray

AZ-Stew
07-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Well, that blew all the humor out of my post. I was going to call it a "Hydroshock Inverted Hollow Base Wadcutter". I guess there's no humor when the truth level gets too high.

I have some .44 Specials loaded with swaged HBWCs that were given to me by a late gun writer. They were called "Man Stoppers". Never had the chance to find out whether that was true or not, but I'd hate to be on the receiving end.

Regards,

Stew

Dutchman
07-15-2010, 04:10 AM
In the late 60s and 70s we use to use a Hornady swaged hollow base wadcutter and turn it around so the large "hollow" was the business end. Fired into water and paper stacks confirmed it mushroomed to nickel size.

I was casting handgun bullets from the late 60s into the 90s so I wasn't real up on factory trick bullets. The Hornady turn-around technique was a real good way to turn a .38 snub gun into a viable knock down gun.

Dutch

deltaenterprizes
07-15-2010, 06:50 AM
That is the original "Hydro-Shock" manufactured by Alberts Bullets in the early 1980s. I have an original box of 500. Alberts manufactured swagged bullets from 32 cal up 45-70 cal with a dry moly lube. I was told the company went under after a divorce!

fourdollarbill
07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Well that's good to know. I was going to plink em off into the lead grave yard. Maybe I'll take a few and come up with a SD load for the house 642.
Did they have any Merit or were they a flop since they had no jacket ?
Did Albert Bullets design LE bullets or for Federal? Interesting story.

missionary5155
07-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Good morning
And just plain old 40-1 down to pure lead mix fired at 900 + fps will "Upset, expand, mushroom" to healthy wads of hurt. I use them and never have any concern about what the "effect on target " will be. They are going to expand releably and penetrate a good ways.
Easy to cast ! But if I had a handfull of HB´s about I sure would turn them around.
Mike in Peru

RayinNH
07-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I E-mailed my sister asking what the ammo was called, Scorpions...Ray

honus
07-15-2010, 10:10 PM
That is the original "Hydro-Shock" manufactured by Alberts Bullets in the early 1980s. I have an original box of 500. Alberts manufactured swagged bullets from 32 cal up 45-70 cal with a dry moly lube. I was told the company went under after a divorce!

I used to be a distributor for Alberts Bullets when I had my shop in Alaska. They made some great swagged bullets including the Hydrashock WC pictured. Most of their bullets were 3% antimony. Additionally, Alberts did supply Federal with a SWC HP for the 45 Colt used by some Southern Highway Patrols using the S&W 25.

My two favorite Alberts Bullets were the 9mm 130 grain SWC HP and the 225 grain SWC HP for the 45 ACP. It may sound strange, but both designs fed very well and expanded at sub-sonic velocities. Another favorite was a 154 grain 308 for Schutzen style loading. It shot well in reduced 308 Winchester loads. I still have a few boxes left, but I can't seem to part with them.

Alberts quality was far superior to the "other" commercial swagged brands.

mpmarty
07-16-2010, 12:43 AM
I think thats the original Hydro Shock bullet!

The whole thing died a silent death when every police dept in the world decided that magazine capacity was more important than marksmenship and they all bought Hi cap 9mm's!

Yup! Back in the seventies the Washoe county SO and Reno PD went to 9mms. There was a burglary at a local lumber yard/hardware store and both entities responded to the silent alarm. Wound up with twelve cops on the scene and over ninety shots fired and nobody caught anybody and nobody was hit. God looks out for fools.:D