PDA

View Full Version : scale gave me some trouble today!

troy_mclure
07-14-2010, 02:15 PM
i always keep a small digital scale in my truck for weighing lead and pewter at fleemarkets.

i got pulled over(cut across traffic to get into a gas station, and he thought i was going around a red light).

he glanced in the back and saw a few bags and my scale on the floor.

after he questioned me about my driving he asked about the scale.

i told him its purpose, but he seemed sceptical, and asked to search the truck.

i said sure.

he seemed kinda confused about the various pewter dishes he was pulling out of the bags.

he got real confused about the bucket of jig heads with the hooks rusted off.

all in all it cost me about 10 mins, because of my suspicious scale.

AZ-Stew
07-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Good thing you didn't have a plastic baggie of powdered sugar with you. :shock: :holysheep

Regards,

Stew

ghh3rd
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
You shoulda told him to hurry up and "get the lead out" and finish up with his questions, cause you had important business at hand, like searching for boolit materials!

azrednek
07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Good thing you didn't have a plastic baggie of powdered sugar with you. :shock: :holysheep

Regards,

Stew

That happened to my former step-daughter when she was 16. Her and her sister split a package of the small Hostess brand powdered sugar donuts. About a week later she was pulled over for speeding, cops searched her car, found the empty plastic bag with some powdered sugar in it. Cops cuffed her, put her into the back seat of the police car and did some tests on the powdered sugar. Made her about 2 hours late for school but after the cops discovered it wasn't dope gave her a pass on the speeding and didn't give her a ticket.

MT Gianni
07-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I may have a different take on things but after being asked to consent to a search I would have politly said "no, am I free to go?"

Changeling
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I may have a different take on things but after being asked to consent to a search I would have politly said "no, am I free to go?"

You are exactly right!!!

qajaq59
07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
If you like me when I'm heading for the range you'd have had a bunch of guns in the back and a piece on me as well. That would have gotten funny......LOL

jsizemore
07-15-2010, 09:15 PM
When anybody asks I start yapping about pewter content, boolit casting, reloading, why a cast boolit won't lead your barrel, slugging a barrel, etc.,etc. and they apoligize and slowly start backing away and make a quick retreat.

Obviously, they don't know who there messin' with.

JJC
07-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I drive a truck DOT inspections are a norm. I have dealt with the questions, looks and suspision though I have done nothing wrong. Before I knew the law and more of my rights that I took for granted I consented to a search. All that yeilded was a compliment of my truck. After that I carried a copy of the first ten amendments for reference if needed. Another time when asked if I would sign a concent form for a search and said no that was the end of the conversation. He had no reasonable cause. I think they bet on most people with nothing to hide and not knowing thier rights to just go along with it cause they are police. Guns in trucks stirrs a long ill informed debate also. Know the federal law and that of the states and you are in reguarding transporting a firearm and CCW reciprocity and you are good to go.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-16-2010, 06:53 PM

I would consent to a search for the Local police, most of whom I know.

State police or Federales...HELL NO, they can make me wait for hours,
but they'll have to arrest me to search my vehicle or my house.

troy_mclure
07-18-2010, 06:30 AM
ive seen guys get their car taken apart by cops after they brought the k9 in.

it had a "hit" and they pulled out the door panels, and everything.

its less of a pita to let them look than not.

oh, i also had my ccw, and truck gun. he didnt even take it while he searched.

qajaq59
07-18-2010, 06:47 AM
The one and only time I had my car searched was back in the 50s. And they didn't ask. The LEO pulled us over and stuck a gun in my face and said "Get out". They didn't pussyfoot around back then. But, after it was all over and he explained, I wasn't too mad. A guy had robbed a store and shot the clerk to death, then drove away in a blue, 52 chevy with a broken left tail light.

Wanna guess what I was driving? Yup, right down to a cracked tail light.

Avery Arms
07-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Next time let him get a warrant, if they get a warrant for drugs and find something else the case may be thrown out if the warrant was irrelevant to what they found. When you give permission to search you open yourself up to prosecution for ANYTHING that might turn up. For example some states have laws relating to buying or selling scrap.

The one and only time I had my car searched was back in the 50s. And they didn't ask. The LEO pulled us over and stuck a gun in my face and said "Get out". They didn't pussyfoot around back then. But, after it was all over and he explained, I wasn't too mad. A guy had robbed a store and shot the clerk to death, then drove away in a blue, 52 chevy with a broken left tail light.

Wanna guess what I was driving? Yup, right down to a cracked tail light.

I think police make up "matching car" stories just to stop people and go "fishing" to drum up some business, I have been stopped more than once just to listen to lame, unlawful excuses why they stopped me.

PP

Bret4207
07-19-2010, 07:23 AM
In todays society a cop that pulls someone over for an act like in the OP and spots a scale that doesn't investigate further is not doing his job. The days of druggies looking like Cheech and Chong are long gone.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Back in the 70s I took a trip to Vermont with a friend in the Navy. We took a Toyota truck on the Tutanic (sp) state Parkway, and Got stopped because "no trucks allowed" We had a thermos of Coffee, two cups, a baggie of sugar and one of powdered creamer. That was quite a log stop. Yes, I had long hair back then, don't think it helped. We were on or way for my first BP Deer hunt. Have long hair again these day's and get the car searched regular. Always get a good laugh about it. Guess it's hair length profiling, Think I need a lawyer?

Sam :D

Cactus Farmer
07-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Have long hair again these day's and get the car searched regular.

Sam :D

I just wish I had hair! What hasn't falled out has turned white. And now it's sprouting out of my ears......

cajun shooter
07-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Being a former cop let me give you the take from the other side. I buried 7 friends in 15 years with two of them being my riding partners. You know that you are a good person but the cop knows that you might be that guy that puts him in the ground. I worked 6 years as a Narcotics agent and a scale will bring out the let me look further mold. It's part of the job. Mt. Gianni if you gave me that answer then my next answer to you would be in a friendly voice. No sir you may not leave and you could be on your way in just a few minutes if you let me look a little more. If you insist then I will have to obtain a warrant which might take as long as two hours or more. Our City does not have the money for a trained dog so I will have to call the next town and we will wait until they are free to come. If all that does not work then because of your answer I have the right to detain you as long as needed. If you are in a relaxed mood and friendly towards me and say sure man I cast bullets for shooting and that is what I weigh my lead on. Most all cops are gun lovers and reloaders or shooters. I would take a quick 1 or 2 min cursory search shake your hand and tell you to have a nice day. Which do you prefer? That is the same as a ticket. A ticket is a easy way to have some one arrested for a traffic violation. Yes it is a form of arrest. It allows you to sign on the bottom and go on your way. If you decide that you know more than the cop and refuse to sign the ticket then your problems increase 10 fold. The officer has the right to cuff you and place you under arrest. Then your vehicle will be towed and you will be transported and booked into jail. If you feel you are not guilty and you could very well be, don't fight the cop on the street. Be kind and hire an attorney for court. If you think that it is a easy job see if your area offers a ride along program. You will be able to see what really happens. Like not being able to go home after your shift is over because you have paper work that has to be done and turned in. Most of the time it is for free and you don't receive credit for the time. A friendly smile and what can I do to help you officer will go much better than NO! May I Leave Now Later David

qajaq59
07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
That reminds me of the Sixties when the cops I knew got called names they'd tell the smart alecks, " OK, the next time you get robbed, call a Hippie." :mrgreen:

Crash_Corrigan
07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
I stopped into the local Paiute Indian tobacco shop for some smokes recently. I was braced by a pair of Indian Police. They informed me that my open carry of my .44 was illegal in NV and that they were going to arrest me.

I whipped out my copy of the NVS (Nevada Revised Statues) and pointed them to the pertinent law which provided for open carry of a handgun. They insisted that it was illegal and wanted to cuff me anyway. I picked up my cell phone and called for the local Metro Cops and they arrived and laughed these bozo Indian Police Officers all over the place. Although the Indian Police have jurisdiction on the reservation property (included was the store) they must enforce state law and they are not allowed to make up their own rules.

I ended up inviting the Metro Cops over to my place for a few beers after work and I got them to make some ammo for their 40's on my equipment. Now one of them is helping me to obtain ww's from places where I was always refused immediately. He even had picked up some for me and I intend to show him how to smelt the ww's down to ingots. This guy has promise and I believe he will be joining our forum pretty soon. He has an extensive collection of weapons but has not been shooting due to the cost of ammo. I am making a believer out of him and he is starting to save brass for future use.

Ya need to convert some of these heathens to the cause. I ended up with many new sources of ww's due to this mishap and I am gonna keep on truckin.

RP
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I have told my sons and wife do not let them search your car and was told that by several policemen. Even if it holds you up and they tell you it will take a long time that is another way to to get them into your car. Lets say someone else has dropped something in your car or its a used car and something is under the seat its now yours. All kinds of things can go wrong with a search.

Bret4207
07-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Laws vary from state to state. Policies vary from agency to agency. I wouldn't have been able to keep anyone there for hours just because they said no. And here the cop signs the ticket, not the driver.

Back when I had a job if I got the heebie jeebies about something and there was probable cause then the question was asked. I don't know if I was just lucky or what, but I never had anyone refuse. There were times I found nothing and I always made it a point to apologize for the inconvenience and send them away as close to happy as I could get. The other 99% of the time I found what they knew was there, they got their ticket or arraignment and life went on.

People need to remember that not every apparently good guy, solid citizen is in fact a good guy. Like someone said, you know you're clean, but the cop doesn't. As long as they work within the law I have no issue. Those that push things or worse do something wrong, heck with them.

jon skorepa
07-22-2010, 01:44 PM
when stopped a person can say i make no contract verbal or oral with you or your corporation i am ( your first name) of the family ( your last name) i am traveling i am not in commerce i subscribe to ( any law system you like) and i wave the benefit. politely say good bye. the time has come to use our rights as free people not as subjects of power crazy government officials and their road agents.. .

JTknives
07-22-2010, 04:14 PM

same with me, no search for you cop :violin:

Greg5278
07-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Here in NJ it is illegal to transport hollow point ammunition. One round can be enough if found to get you in some trouble here. An Officer that I know personally arrested someone for possessing a PMC ultrmag load in their vehicle during a stop. Some Officer can be nice, but some are definitely Anti-gun. You never know who is stopping you.
Greg

Bret4207
07-23-2010, 06:55 AM
when stopped a person can say i make no contract verbal or oral with you or your corporation i am ( your first name) of the family ( your last name) i am traveling i am not in commerce i subscribe to ( any law system you like) and i wave the benefit. politely say good bye. the time has come to use our rights as free people not as subjects of power crazy government officials and their road agents.. .

And as you politely say good bye you'll be dragged from your car and handcuffed. Posts like this make me nuts. We're all required to obey the law. The place to fight what you consider unjust or incorrect laws isn't on the side of the road where you end up becoming a poster child for "Idiot Right Wing Gun Nut of the Month". I don't like getting stopped either and I don't care for some of the stories I hear that if true indicate there are some boneheaded cops out there, more than there used to be anyway. But this idea that you can just give some little Patrick Henry type speech and go merrily on your way is pure bull. If you get stopped and try to flee you will be going to jail, that day.

In response to your last sentence- It's time people took responsibility for their actions (driving violations) as citizens of this republic.