PDA

View Full Version : XP-100 barrel wanted

fourarmed
07-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I am looking for a takeoff 7mm BR barrel for a Remington XP-100. Must be in excellent to new condition.

82nd airborne
07-15-2010, 07:17 PM
do you have a lathe, if so we could make a prefit to spec, and you could face off the chamber end untill proper headspace is acheived.

fourarmed
07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
I have a lathe, but am not very skilled with it. I think I have a line on a takeoff with only a few hundred rounds on it from the IHMSA forum, so I will probably go that way. I would prefer not having to re-inlet my stock. Lazy, I guess. Cheap, too.

82nd airborne
07-17-2010, 08:41 AM
how do those thing shoot? ive never messed with one.

fourarmed
07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
They are unbelievably accurate with jacketed. I have less experience shooting cast in them. I know some IHMSA guys have done very well with cast. My XP was too far gone when I started loading cast for it. I have no idea what its round count is, but I have put at least 6000 rounds through it since I bought it used. I am shooting my wife's right now, which we bought new, and it is showing considerable promise. The only match I have shot it in so far, I screwed up and missed the last ram. It was not the fault of the gun or load.

docone31
07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
I had an XP made up in 338/06 Ackley.
Sweet little pistol.
I knew a person back in my IHMSA days, who not to be undone, had one made up in 460 Weatherby. Those were the hand cannon days.
Suffice it to say, at the range on his try it out day, he destroyed the pistol, broke both his Radius and Ulna at the wrist.
It was spectacular.

fourarmed
07-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Back in the early days of IHMSA a lot of guys took it as a personal affront if somebody had an unlimited gun in a larger caliber than theirs. Most of them didn't stay in the game very long. A guy shot at our range a few years ago who had a Contender in 50-70, and a switch-barrel XP with barrels for all the common belted magnums. Another guy had an XP in .44-.284. There may have been some justification in the early days, when they set the rams full-foot, but no longer. Heavy recoil may please the crowd, but it's the enemy of high scores. Hard on the wrist and elbow, too.

rockrat
07-22-2010, 09:54 PM
I probably met you, Fourarmed, as I was the one that made the 44-284. You can thank J.B. from Tri-city for that one. I had hit a pig with a 7-08 and it just shook. He walked behind my and said laughing "more powder, bigger bullet", so I did. With the muzzle brake, it wasn't too bad in recoil, muzzle blast was something else for those nearby.

sorry to hijack your thread

fourarmed
07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Small world, rockrat. I seem to recall that J.R. was there when I saw the round. The case was straight-walled, wasn't it? I do have a strong antipathy toward shooting next to those Oklahoma muzzle brakes.

rockrat
09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Wasn't straight walled, but really close to it. Those durn Texans from Sweetwater, shooting their H-335 fueled guns was rough. "Baby" kind of outdid them. Mondo looked in the end of the barrel and remarked "we have wimp guns compared to that thing". First time I touched that thing off at Sweetwater, many thought the gun had blown up. I know the spectators at the sight in line left real quick like.

No IHMSA around here anymore, where I live now. Miss shooting it with all the good people I met.

GLShooter
11-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I shot IHMSA all over OK and Kaunas back in the 70's. Could I have crossed paths with you all? I shot a 308 XP and a 45 Hardballer in standing. Jack Dever rebarreled my XP for me.

Shot Enid, Wichita, Miami, South Haven, Miami, Tri City/ Norman and OKC.

Greg

Charlie Sometimes
11-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Is that action threaded the same as a 700?
I know someone that has a 14 inch Remington barrel in 7mm BR, tapped for sights.
Might be an XP barrel.

Want me to check on it?

GLShooter
11-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Is that action threaded the same as a 700?
I know someone that has a 14 inch Remington barrel in 7mm BR, tapped for sights.
Might be an XP barrel.

Same threads. MY XP was built using a 700 Remington 308 barrel that was cut back to 15 inches. It now wears a 22-250 700 Varmint barrel cut back for PD's.

Greg

a.squibload
01-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Me too, sorry to hijack, found this thread looking for info on the 44-284.
Point me in the right direction?

I'm trying to decide what cartridge to pick in the AR-15 group buy.
Already have several 44 molds, also BTSniper's 44 JHP swage dies,
so figured on the "hammer" concept.
44-284 was mentioned in the group buy thread, but I haven't found much data on it yet.
Reading here makes it sound pretty good, 265 gn boolit at 2500 fps beats what my Super Blackhawk can put out,
and I used to shoot IHMSA with that.

Thanks for any advice.