PDA

View Full Version : .400 Corbon

Scrounger
05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't remember what thread this subject came up on last week, so I'll start a new one. It'll be short. Joe, thank you for your efforts to find me a .357 Sig barrel/slide. But for reasons I've already covered, I think I'll go with the .400 Corbon. It can be done with just a barrel, which is much better than having to go with barrel, slide, magazine, extractor, etc. I won't be using it a lot anyway. I have several 1911s I can use it in, so the barrel and dies are the only expense, and it is a 3 minute conversion. The .38/45 Clerke would also be acceptable for the same reasons, but those barrels aren't readily available. Now just for funsies, wouldn't it be nice if someone made sabots for the .45 auto, say a sabot that would allow you to shoot .30 caliber bullets (311410) out of it? Dream on...

Scrounger
05-12-2005, 08:03 PM
I bought a .400 Corbon barrel, just waiting for it to come in. 'Course I need a set of dies, too. Thought I'd take the 1911 it's going to go into apart to see if I need make any changes. Looks pretty good except for one small problem: It has a one piece full length guide rod and I can't get it out to replace the barrel. There must be a trick to this, but I've always had trouble with it. Now if StarMetal is up to par, he'll answer with an easy way to accomplish that. Probably even tell me what strength recoil spring I ought to put in it. I was thinking 24 pound. What is the normal spring for target loads in the .45? Probably should order some extra springs anyway.

StarMetal
05-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Scrounger

Ta Ta Ta Ta Ta...the cavalry is here. Okay there are two kinds of full lenght guide rod: one piece and two piece. It's easy to tell if it's two piece as it will have an allen wrench socket in the front (muzzle end). If so, just find the right size wrench and unscrew (conventional threads, just unthread counter-clockwise). Then take the gun down in normal manner. If it's one piece you should notice that the rod doesn't come all the ways flush with the recoil guide face, it will set back inside it alittle bit, about 1/16 inch. You just take this apart in the normal fashion, that is use a bushing wrench to turn your bushing enough to let the recoil guide pop out. If it's neither of the two try removing the slide, barrel, and recoil spring as one unit off the frame. Be careful the spring will be under tension. Then carefully work the guide rod and spring out. I hope it's not the last way.

Joe

StarMetal
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Art

Forgot, yeah start off with that 24 pound spring. I think the target springs are like in the 16 to 18 pound bracket. That 24 should be stiff enough for the hot loads.

Joe

StarMetal
05-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Art,

Did you get the 1911 apart?

Joe

Scrounger
05-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Once again StarMetal proves he not only can talk the talk but also walk the walk... Yeah, there was a sloppy shaped hole in the front of the guide rod, and Glory Be, an Allen Wrench just fit in there and it came apart as easy as pie. Now, when my barrel gets here, and the link and pin, and 24 pound recoil spring, and reloading dies, and .40 caliber bullets, I'm in business.

StarMetal
05-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Art,

Thank you for your kind words sir. I'm really glad it worked out for you. While you're at it put yourself one of those neoprene buffers in there so you don't beat the frame for added insurance. Be sure to let us know how that 400 shoots. Slug the bore and set yourself up a cast mould too pardner. Well looks like Xmas is coming early for you this year.

Joe

Scrounger
05-13-2005, 11:25 PM
I spoke too soon. I DON'T have a barrel. Company advertised 2 of them at the auction, I bid on and "won" one. I had to send 3 emails over 3 days to get a response from the seller. He said he thought he had cancelled those listings cause he'd sold all the barrels. I have found 2 more barrels, but one has a compensator and the other is ported. And I'm confused...

StarMetal
05-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Art

What are you confused about? Maybe I can help.

Joe

Scrounger
05-14-2005, 01:18 AM
Thinking maybe I ought to grab this opportunity to back pedal out of this project. It ain't like I need more guns... For high velocity, I already have the Ruger .30 Carbine, And a 10 inch .357 Contender barrel that will speed the 125 grain bullet on its way at about 1800 FPS. If that's not enough, I have a 14 inch (and a 21 inch) .357 Maximum barrel that will get it up to Mach 2. Or a .223 barrel for Mach 3. Those barrels pretty much leave the Sig and Corbon and their ilk in the dust.