PDA

View Full Version : No lead inside

JTknives
07-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I shoot a lot at indoor ranges and thy say no lead. I want to get into casting as I love shooting lead. Would a gas check let me shoot indoors, I could just clame that my rounds have huge soft points and the jacket is inside the case ;)

ghh3rd
07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
The indoor range that I visit occasionally does not allow lead either. They stipulate FMJ -- that's a gas check that covers the entire boolit :-)

CiDirkona
07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
... aren't most over-the-shelf bare-assed FMJ, and not completely enclosed CMJ?

Mike W1
07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
There are some loads especially for indoor ranges, even have low or no content lead in the primers. I don't happen to know just what these are called though.

deltaenterprizes
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Look into using zinc to cast boolits.

prs
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Krylon makes a copper lacquer that might make a fine boolit lube. ;-)

prs

lwknight
07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Just put your lead reloads in a lead free box and don't let anyone see the boolits LOL.
I have had to deal with such. I hear that some ranges only let you shoot their ammo.

mpmarty
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
At our range we encourage cast boolit shooting. Easier on the T1 backer plates and makes the salvage sale better after we clean out the backstops.

HeavyMetal
07-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Got a local indoor range here that won't let you shoot "lead" but it's O.K. to shoot Soft points, FMJ, ( the type with lead exposed on the base) and, of course, anything he sells is fine!

I do not begrudge a guy trying to make a buck, after all it is his range and his investment, but I do resent the fact that he thinks most shooters are stupid enough to believe his excuse and don't know enough about the ammo supply to figure it out.

4 years ago he only wanted you to buy his NT ammo, thats the non toxic stuff Mike W1 was trying to remember, but on a recent stop in he was allowing other types of ammo as listed above. Perhaps some day he'll figure it out!

I find telling people with my money, or lack thereof, is more effective than any "logical discussion". Since I rarely shoot at an indoor range I can't imagine I make an impression on this guy.

Which is to bad because I know he's trying to pay the bills and make enough to feed himself as well just like the rest of us.

However not being able to reclaim my brass, not being able to shoot what I want as far as ammo is concerned, and paying upwards of $20.00 and hour for the privilage seems a bit much to me.

Particularly when another indoor range, closer to home even, has none of these restrictions for a few dollars less per hour.

So to answer the OP's original question: no gas checks aren't gonna help ya shoot at that range!

I will suggest you google ranges in the area. Unless you are in one heck of a small town you should find another range to shoot at.

If you can't find a quality indoor range perhaps an out door range within reasonable driving distance is available.

I will also suggest that a letter, written constructively, and signed by a number of shooters in the community, might get your guy to rethink his position.

lwknight
07-13-2010, 03:45 AM
They say that money talks but, there is no reasoning with the indoctrinated tree huggers.

mdi
07-13-2010, 11:36 AM
When I lived in the L.A. area I went to a range downtown. Not only would they not let you shoot lead, but you had to purchase their ammo and leave the brass there! I said thank you and left.

A gas check isn't considered lead free ammo, just a mini condom on the butt of the boolit...

mike in co
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
i have a range i service that does no allow shooting of a bullet with exposed lead as it sits in a case......
so yes to fmj, and yes to hp..like golden sabres........just no lead nosed hp's

it is my understanding this is an isurance company policy....which sounds correct since it is so inconsistant....

copper colored/plated 22's are ok

grey looking lead 22's are not

mike in co