PDA

View Full Version : Star lubesizer question

pinshooter
08-22-2006, 09:42 PM
After a few years of using an old Lyman 450 the idea of only handling each boolit once is starting to look good. I have been thinking of upgrading to a Star, and finding dies in the sizes I need for $2.50 each :-D at a garage sale kind of helped make the decision. Digging thru the box with the used dies I found punches to match. They are nose punches instead of flat punches and I was wondering if it made any difference on a Star whether the boolits were sized nose first or base first. Maybe the nose punch starts the boolit into the die straighter? Anyone have an opinion on this?

Also, I've been using Orange Magic and have had good luck. Accuracy is as good as I can hold and after 250 rounds the small amount of leading takes about 10 seconds to remove. But, I was wondering if there was any other hard lube anyone had experience with that might be cheaper if bought in quantity. Mainly I'm looking for non toxic & low smoke as much of my shooting is done indoors in the winter.

Thanks.

Pinshooter

454PB
08-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Although the idea of sizing them base first in a Star sounds reasonable, I'm afraid the lube hole alignment would be wrong. With the Star, getting the boolit adjusted so that it stops in the right place inside the die is important for lubing in the correct area. It is easier to just buy the base punches in whatever caliber you are going to be using. Are you sure they are nose punches and not base punches? They look a lot alike.

pinshooter
08-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Definitely nose punches. And after checking the Star sizer parts list from their web site, I see that they sell nose punches as well as flat punches. If flat punches and nose first sizing works OK I'll just fill the used punches I bought with JB weld.

Pinshooter

rbwillnj
08-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Either nose or base first sizing is fine. Nose first is slightly faster, especially when sizing round nose bullets which can be sized as fast as you can drop them into the sizer. Originally all of the Star "Nose" punches were for base first sizing, and they made punches for every bullet design. Later they started offering the nose first punches (just recently picked up some original Star flat punches)

Another advantage of the nose first punches is that if you are using a fairly hard alloy, you can use one punch for just about every caliber. I prefer to have a seperate punch for each bullet design. I drill the lock nuts and add a set screw to lock in the position of the lock nut. That way I can put it back in the same way when I change back to that bullet. I don't have to adjust the bullet depth all over again.

ANeat
08-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Also, I've been using Orange Magic and have had good luck. Accuracy is as good as I can hold and after 250 rounds the small amount of leading takes about 10 seconds to remove. But, I was wondering if there was any other hard lube anyone had experience with that might be cheaper if bought in quantity. Mainly I'm looking for non toxic & low smoke as much of my shooting is done indoors in the winter.

Thanks.

Pinshooter

Try Carnuba Red, Lar45 sells it. Do a search on Carnuba Red and you will get lots of info. Since I started using it earlier this year I havent had to use a bore brush in my 45acp. Even after several hundred rounds between cleanings I have zero leading. A couple of wet patches and the bore looks like new.

Before I was using comercially cast or swaged bullets and always had a bit of lead right past the chamber that had to be scrubbed out. Only took a minute or two but it was there.

I dont think I would call it a "hard" lube. It does take about 90 degrees or so to get flowing and on a nice hot day you really dont need a heater:twisted:
Adam

Marshal Kane
08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
I was wondering if it made any difference on a Star whether the boolits were sized nose first or base first. PinshooterStar recommends that handgun bullets be sized nose first. In fact, their universal base punch (which is flat) can be used with all calibers.

Springfield
08-30-2006, 08:52 PM
If you are using a softer allow for BP and such, and you use a "universal" punch in 38 caliber, you will put a nice dent in your larger 45 caliber bullets. I have 4 different size punches to spread out the pressure better.