PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

Scrounger
08-22-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm probably the last guy in the group to discover Google Earth but just in case one of you hasn't found it yet.... It can give you what appears to be a satellite view of any address or area on the planet. You can zoom it out or in as much as you want using your scroll wheel but at some point it becomes too out of focus to be useful. You need to download the program to use it. Naturally the higher priced versions are better than the free one which I have. You can input a street address to start the process or simply click on the map to locate your area of interest. Holding your left click button down, you can 'drag' the map to see things close by. Bad news is we don't all get equal treatment. I checked my house and all I get is the area with sort of a pattern, individual houses are not discernable. But when I put in my old California address, I saw my old house clearly, with the Orange and Grapefruit trees clearly visible. Cars are visible too. Dodger Stadium came in clearly, as well as the place where I used to work and some friends houses. Apparently more populated places get more attention and better photos. An interesting toy nontheless, considering what I paid for it. Nothing.

Bigscot
08-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Scrounger,

Goggle Earth is pretty neat. I only have/use the free version. Unfortunately you don't get the same amount of resolution in every area. I can look at my house and see what cars are in the drive. Other places aren't so clear.

Bigscot

454PB
08-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Also, some of the satellite photos are old.