PDA

View Full Version : Society of the Military Horse

Bret4207
07-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Does anyone here belong to this site? I registered weeks ago and still haven't recv'd an approval and of course you can't contact an administrators with out being registered!

AZ-Stew
07-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Does anyone here belong to this site? I registered weeks ago and still haven't recv'd an approval and of course you can't contact an administrators with out being registered!

It's probably because they found out you're cynical, contrary, opinionated and cranky. :bigsmyl2: :kidding:

Regards,

Stew

montana_charlie
07-09-2010, 11:38 PM
You may have made a typo when writing in your email address. That would prevent you from receiving the verification email.
CM

leftiye
07-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Or as was my experience on a home shop machinist site - they just never spent the time to answer. I assume that I was unacceptable for some reason (applied twice). Their loss. (probly held my mouth wrong)

Bret4207
07-10-2010, 08:37 AM
You may have made a typo when writing in your email address. That would prevent you from receiving the verification email.
CM

Nope, got the initial reply alright. I'm guessing Leftiye or Stew is right.

Buckshot
07-11-2010, 02:01 AM
..............Bret, you have to make them understand that that deal had been with sheep, and horses weren't involved at all.

..............Buckshot

pressonregardless
07-11-2010, 09:26 AM
..............Bret, you have to make then understand that that deal had been with sheep, and horses weren't involved at all.

..............Buckshot

Ahh come on Buckshot, Bret is from NY, I thought that sheep thing only went on in Ga. or at least that's what they told me when I was growing up in Fla.
:holysheep::kidding:

Bret, all kidding aside that Military Horse website is pretty interesting !

Bret4207
07-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Boy, and coming from a man who rode a MULE!

Suo Gan
07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Well they accepted me, can't be all that discriminating.

Bret4207
07-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Well they accepted me, can't be all that discriminating.

Cool, any chance you could contact the administrator and let them know my membership is in limbo? Same screen name.

Suo Gan
07-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Cool, any chance you could contact the administrator and let them know my membership is in limbo? Same screen name.

I'll give it a shot.

Bret4207
07-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Many thanks.

Bret4207
07-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Drat, my patience runs thin....

BCB
07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
What is the “Society of the Horse Military”?...

Is it , like, top secret?...

Or did one have to be a member of the Armored Cavalry in the military?...

What are the qualifications to “attempt” to be a member?...

Maybe I got ‘em, and it might be worthwhile…

BCB

alamogunr
07-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Copied this from the site:

The Society of the Military Horse is currently an invitation-only organization. It is presumed that this policy will change in the future, although there is no firm schedule for initiating a revised membership procedure. For those with an interest in joining the Society and participating in it's activities, the key to gaining an invitation is to participate, especially in the various discussion forums. Quality contributions and good fellowship are the mark of the Society membership, and are highly regarded in consideration of member nominations.

Maybe Suo Gan's nomination will do the trick.

John
W.TN

BCB
07-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Just did a search on the subject and nope, I don't qualify by reasons of not interested in that topic/study!...

But maybe it sort of deals with the beginning of the Armored Cavalry Unit...

Good-luck to those attempting membership...

BCB

Bret4207
07-17-2010, 07:16 AM
Copied this from the site:

The Society of the Military Horse is currently an invitation-only organization. It is presumed that this policy will change in the future, although there is no firm schedule for initiating a revised membership procedure. For those with an interest in joining the Society and participating in it's activities, the key to gaining an invitation is to participate, especially in the various discussion forums. Quality contributions and good fellowship are the mark of the Society membership, and are highly regarded in consideration of member nominations.

Maybe Suo Gan's nomination will do the trick.

John
W.TN

But you have to participate in the forum to take part in the discussions. Can't do that without your registration being approved!

alamogunr
07-17-2010, 09:17 AM
After reading their statement again, it looks like the classic "Catch 22"

John
W.TN

Suo Gan
07-18-2010, 09:02 PM
This is from the site:
The success of this forum has made us a target for every potential hacker and spammer this side (and the other side) of the Urals, and we get forty bum registrations for every valid one. We've taken to blocking entire IP ranges and certain countries that haven't produced anything but trouble, so if you happen to be stuck in those places... sorry.

Please include actual first and last name in your registration (see last post of this thread for whys). You may also want to include some additional info in regard to interests, etc. If a submission looks a little fishy, we'll do some 'googling' to see if all is well or not - that additional info may make the difference between an acceptance and a flush.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but you cannot fully understand just how much some people want to get on our forum for their own purposes, which would essentially ruin what we've built here. If you're honest and interested, we'll get you hooked up - if you're only interested in google-bombing, gaming search engine listings, or pimping some product or other, you're going to be stopped.

and another:
This is a really unfortunate, but necessary step.

As xxxx notes, we've been bombarded with spammer registrations the past six months. The registration was turned on yesterday, and we received registrations from computer generates spammers all day and night long. Even with three (otherwise fully employed) moderators working on looking at the registrations, it's simply too much too handle. Since the registration was turned back on, I cleared exactly one legitimate one out of probably 20 registrations, and I think Joe and Todd handled a lot more than I did.

We welcome new registrants. We want you to register. But you can see our problem. If you want on, just follow the instructions here and it'll be taken care of.

And Another:
Let me follow up. I processed about six supposed registrations yesterday and one last night. None had names, email addresses or any other identifying information. Needless to say, I banned all of them.

Here's the thing, friends. We genuinely want people who share the interests of the Society to register and be active. We just can't do it automatically any more. The jerk spammers of the world, and especially from one hemisphere, have made that impossible. In the good old days, our biggest problem was people who signed in under false names and pretended to be people they were not. Now the problem is robot automated spamming software that could easily overload and wreck us. They can also soak up all of the time of your volunteer administrators. If we ignore them, we'll be getting lots of posts about how to improve our intimate lives.

So, if you are interested in cavalry history of any era and want to be a part of these forums, by all means, follow the instructions left by Todd in the first post. We'll be very glad to have you.

Sounds reasonable given what forums go through these days...

Suo Gan
07-18-2010, 09:24 PM
It is a great site with a ton of pics and great member articles, probably worth the wait.

Bret4207
07-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I understand that, I've cleared up to 500 spam messages a day from SGN. I guess I'll have to re-register under another name or something.

Suo Gan
07-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Linden Tree, Blue Skin, Marengo, Traveler, Ajax, Kidron, Comanche, take your pick...Nelson is taken...

SmuvBoGa
07-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Hmmm, try "Nathan Bedford" & see if they can figure out the Forrest :!:

lwknight
07-20-2010, 12:10 AM
When I had my ftp server running I ended up blocking IP.s at the last 3 octets.
I think I banned most of asia before slowing the hacks down.