PDA

View Full Version : Lee CARBIDE 3-DIE SET

donjose
07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I am asking a newbie question here but does the lee 3-die set come with a crimping die as well?Looked all over there web site and couldnt find the answer to my question.

Jason

leadhead
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
crimping should be part of the seating die.
Denny

DLCTEX
07-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Rifle or pistol? If a rifle set, it probably includes the Factory Crimp Die, but may be the Deluxe 3 die set which includes the FL size die, seat/crimp die, and the collet die. Pistol dies and straight wall rifle dies have 3 dies which contains the sizer die, the expander/powder through die and seater/crimp die.

mooman76
07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
It depends. They have quite a few sets but you can got to the Lee wed site to see what they have. I got the deluxe 3 die rifle set that comes with a neck sizer and was surprized to find out even though it looks like the seater crimp die. It does NOT crimp. I don't know why they would make it that way but it is.

donjose
07-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Lee CARBIDE 3-DIE SET for pistols sorry

Jason

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
No factory Crimp die with the LEE carbide 3-die set for pistol.
I do not know if the seater die can be adjusted to crimp or not ?

the Deluxe carbide 4 die set is basically the 3 die set with the Factory Crimp die included as the fourth die.
Jon

mike in co
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
No factory Crimp die with the LEE carbide 3-die set for pistol.
I do not know if the seater die can be adjusted to crimp or not ?

the Deluxe carbide 4 die set is basically the 3 die set with the Factory Crimp die included as the fourth die.
Jon

bingo we have a winner....if you are going to load pistol, buy a 4 die set.

azshtr
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I am asking a newbie question here but does the lee 3-die set come with a crimping die as well?Looked all over there web site and couldnt find the answer to my question.

Jason

Answer = YES

Click on the link below and 3 or 4th column down look for bullet seating die instructions

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

donjose
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the video link makes since now.
If they made it in the four dies set for my caliber I would be all over it.

Jason

357shooter
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the video link makes since now.
If they made it in the four dies set for my caliber I would be all over it.

JasonAs long as you follow the instructions and don't set the crimp before the seating the 3 die sets work great. The written instructions that came with the dies helped me more than the video, you've gotta get to the first correctly seated and crimp round before you typically have a model to work from.

I started on a 4 station press with 4 die sets then migrated to 3 die sets. Some folks like to crimp seperately, however I didn't find any advantage to it. On the turret is actually slowed me down (with 4 dies).

My only point is that there are plenty of posts that very assumptively state crimping seperately is superior; and that it's a fact accepted by all. Like most things in handloading, plenty of folks lean the other way and prefer 3 die sets.

HammerMTB
07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
It depends. They have quite a few sets but you can got to the Lee wed site to see what they have. I got the deluxe 3 die rifle set that comes with a neck sizer and was surprized to find out even though it looks like the seater crimp die. It does NOT crimp. I don't know why they would make it that way but it is.

The reason is that if you are neck sizing only a bottleneck rifle case, you do NOT want a crimp. If you wanted a crimp, you would want to full length size.
There is also a crimp only die made for rifle cartridges. I use it for .223 in my AR. Tho it could add the crimp to neck sized cases, it is a conflict of direction.
I neck size my .22-250 for my bolt gun. No crimp. Different methods, different loading strategies depending on the gun.

mike in co
07-08-2010, 12:34 AM
As long as you follow the instructions and don't set the crimp before the seating the 3 die sets work great. The written instructions that came with the dies helped me more than the video, you've gotta get to the first correctly seated and crimp round before you typically have a model to work from.

I started on a 4 station press with 4 die sets then migrated to 3 die sets. Some folks like to crimp seperately, however I didn't find any advantage to it. On the turret is actually slowed me down (with 4 dies).

My only point is that there are plenty of posts that very assumptively state crimping seperately is superior; and that it's a fact accepted by all. Like most things in handloading, plenty of folks lean the other way and prefer 3 die sets.

i would have to say( and i have said before) that there is a reason why die makers make four die sets....they work...they work better that doing the same tasks with only three dies. bottom line if you use a single die to seat and crimp in one step...the bullet is still moving when you are trying to crimp...not the best way to do it....

do what you want....

mike in co

357shooter
07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
i would have to say( and i have said before) that there is a reason why die makers make four die sets....they work...they work better that doing the same tasks with only three dies. bottom line if you use a single die to seat and crimp in one step...the bullet is still moving when you are trying to crimp...not the best way to do it....

do what you want....

mike in coLike I said, folks diasgree on this. I understand your points, still I went from 4 to 3 and am quite happy with the quality of my handloads.

Remember, using your logic there's a reason they make 3 die sets. They work too. LOL, just messing with you.

I use 3 and am quite satisfied (more so than crimping seperately). You use 4 and are also satisfied. I'm guessing there's more than 1 way to load great ammo.

Sometimes I just react when folks assume that it's cut and dried and there's a clear answer of "use 4 dies" that all can agree on. There's not, in this case. I'm OK with folks giving that advice and am OK with giving my own different advice too. Our experience is just different.

FYI: I'm not saying you did the assumptive thing, the original poster seemed to assume that 4 dies are better.

donjose
07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Well I noticed Lee doesnt make a four die set for my application thats why I was getting confused!

Thanks for the info as well

Jason

mike in co
07-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Well I noticed Lee doesnt make a four die set for my application thats why I was getting confused!

Thanks for the info as well

Jason

tell us what caliber........what bullet/boolit what gun

donjose
07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
ruger super redhawk 454 and looking for the inlaw who has a 500 Smith

Jason

357shooter
07-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I think Lee sells a Factory Crimp Die for 454 if you want to pursue the 4 die approach. Try both approaches and see how it works out for you. Doesn't cost that much.

The 4 die sets are bascially the 3 die sets with a factory crimp die added.

Rocky Raab
07-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Here are some basics:

In general, ALL die sets come with some way to crimp. With some, it is built into the seater die, and with others, it is a separate die that only crimps.

Either way, you can elect to crimp - and how much - or not as you choose.

Die sets for rimmed handgun rounds usually are designed to roll crimp. Dies for semi-auto handgun rounds usually taper crimp. Rifle dies are usually roll crimp.

Separate crimp-only dies can be set up to roll, taper or (like the Lee FCD) stab crimp. Stab crimps push the case neck in perpendicularly from the side without pushing the neck into a tapered throat in the die. They cannot therefore buckle or bulge a shoulder the way roll crimps can.

mike in co
07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
ok.....so its a rimmed case revolver load( both times)......crimp die will be a roll crimp, unless you go with an FCD....dont.

this is one of the best examples of when 4 dies are better.....

use the seater to seat with only

you can then "play" with the amount of crimp you want or need with just the crimp die.( try doing that with a 3 die set and it will drive you crazy as you try to maintain COAL and crimp changes)

a suggestion.....trim all the brass to a single length.....so all the crimps come out the same.

my 2 cents worth is that the FCD is fine for rifle, but questionable for pistol rounds.

Wayne Smith
07-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Rocky, I know what a stab crimp is and it's application. I've just never seen a die that does it. Can you direct me to one?

35remington
07-08-2010, 10:07 PM
The Lee Factory Crimp Die in rifle calibers is an example. Take a look at it in their website. It's a die that squeezes the top part of the neck into the crimp groove with a collet.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1278641205.514=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html

mike in co
07-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Rocky, I know what a stab crimp is and it's application. I've just never seen a die that does it. Can you direct me to one?

lee fcd

357shooter
07-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Just to clarify what someone said: The Lee 4 die sets comes with 2 ways to crimp. One is seperately with the factory crimp die, the other is with the seater die. Their instructions have you back out the seater die to not crimp if you use the FCD.

No matter what, the crimp should be allied with one or the other. Not both.