PDA

View Full Version : My new Star

cheese1566
07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Got my new Magma Star last week.

Just finished the roller handle, Akro Bin bracket attached to the portable heater base, and refurbishing a used air feeder assembly.
The PID controller is portable/removeable to use on my RCBS LubeMatic as is the Lyman cartridge style heater. :bigsmyl2:

HeavyMetal
07-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Nice!

Don't forget to string a shop rag across the top of that accro bin, that way the boolits fall into something soft and roll down into the bin.

The idea is to minimize dents and dings to the boolit base's.

Seth Hawkins
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I like that handle!

I got my Star last week. I got the "roller" handle and air cylinder. I can't believe they didn't offset the handle the way you did. My handle causes my hand to hit the air cylinder. If you - or someone - was to offer an offset handle that kept our hands from hitting the cylinder, I'd sure buy one.

I can't believe they put so much thought and effort into the rest of the unit, only to make that terribly designed handle. And I paid EXTRA for it!

cheese1566
07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Check with lathesmith, he makes them as well as dies!

I'll probably be "corrected" on choosing the wrong rod and materials, but it was cheap and all parts readily available in my small town.

I used common black 3/8" rod from the hardware store, bike handle grips from KMart. The rest was cobbled together pieces of copper tubing, brass and alum bushings I had, washers, and cotter pins. I figure I have a whopping $10 in parts in it. Of course it bent slightly upon first use since it wasn't hardened rod or special. I just loosened the nut and gave the unit a turn to straighten it out in the luber. After testing, I blasted the rod and cold blued it. (Did the same with the bin holder I made out of 1/8" straight steel from the hardware store as well.)

3/4" copper tubing (7/8" OD) is the same size as regular bike handle grips...

Works for me, I did it on my own, and it was cheap!:drinks:

Seth Hawkins
07-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks. I'll give him a shout. He's making dies for me as we speak.

cheese1566
07-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Making some dies for me too!

oldtoolsniper
07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
did you make the PID?

cheese1566
07-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Yep,

It is one from Lee W's benefit sale that is a relay model. I wired it using some components from a bad computer power supply. The rear of the unit uses the cord disconnect and an outlet for the heater to plug into. Only cord hanging out for storage is the temp probe. The sensor was the RTD meat probe he had included in some of the sales. The PID is wired and configured to turn on the red light in front when the temp is within 2 degrees of the set point. I may reconfigure that to turn on if the unit goes over a certain temp like an "overheat" alarm.

This way I can use it in the exact same style heater base I built for my RCBS LAM.

legend
07-09-2010, 01:17 AM
thats disgusting that you have it and i do not!