PDA

View Full Version : 45 Long Colt Buckshot

mag_01
08-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Has anyone tried a modified 410 in a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Long Colt ? Just tossing the idea around.--------------Mag

StarMetal
08-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Yes, I have. Being I have the older Blackhawk with the recessed cylinder, I had to cut the rims down some inaddition to cutting the lenght of the shells. They worked really good. In fact, interesting story, I shot a peeping tom one time when we lived in Claremore, Ok. I hat them loades with some real find shot and from 25 yards they stung him pretty good.

Joe

mag_01
08-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Good story

StarMetal
08-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Wife and I laugh about till this day. The neighbors started calling me and thanking me, because the guy was apprehended. They must have notices someone was spying on them too. You'd though I shot the bad gunslinger of yesteryear.

I didn't comment on the worth of loading those shells. I actually believe it's less hassle to use brass, easier to load and hold more shot, especially if you find the proper brass to make them longer. Of course the front mouth portion will be bottlenecked slightly.

Joe

C1PNR
08-21-2006, 06:19 PM
I didn't comment on the worth of loading those shells. I actually believe it's less hassle to use brass, easier to load and hold more shot, especially if you find the proper brass to make them longer. Of course the front mouth portion will be bottlenecked slightly.

Joe
I know, even though my inventory doesn't reflect it, that I have a box of the old "5 in One" brass. Intended for movie and stage play blanks that appear like loaded rounds and fitting several calibers, they are longer than normal brass and should hold a respectable quantity of shot.

I bought them for use in both .44 Special and 44-40 revolvers, but never found the Round Tuit needed to load some. One of these days.[smilie=1:

I wonder how well the .45 Maximum or .45 Winchester Magnum brass would work?

West Creek
08-23-2006, 01:49 PM
444 marlin brass works good
cut to length and bottle necked in a .41 size die

fourarmed
08-23-2006, 05:28 PM
When did you live in Claremore, Joe? I lived there throughout the 70's. Don't remember getting shot, though.

lar45
08-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Maybe I could take an extra 45 cylinder and bore it straight through. Then cut 444 or 410 brass to length and stuff it with a few 45 round balls?

444 Marlin brass cut to length and bottle neck sized slightly drops right in the 45 Colt cylinder. I would think that it should hold more shot then the shot capsules.