PDA

View Full Version : need help badly

44woody
08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
a friend of mine put his 50 cal cva away last year and just got it out to do some practice with it but insted he brought it to me to look at he know I had a bp riffel for over 20 years the bbl is full of rust can any body PLEASE give me some help as to how to get all that rust out Ihave never seen a bl in such a mess :castmine: 44woody

wills
08-20-2006, 09:16 PM
There was a topic on rusted guns

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=4257&highlight=katrina

Sixgun Symphony
08-20-2006, 09:24 PM
I would get on him about cleaning his guns after shooting.

As far as the barrel, I would take it to a gunsmith and have it rebored to .54 or .58 caliber.

waksupi
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I'd fill it full of naval jelly for a day or two, and see what develops. I imagine the reverse electrolosis would work fine, but the barrel would need refinishing.

mooman76
08-20-2006, 10:59 PM
A new barrel shouldn't be too expensive. Might be better worth it in the long run!

omgb
08-21-2006, 01:42 AM
All may not be lost. Try this:

1: clean the bore with a good solvent and a brass brush.
2: fill with naval jelly and let sit 8 hours or more.
3> clean with brass brush.
4: if need be, fire lap

If those four steps don't do it, youwill need to either have the barrel rebored or get a new barrel.

Frank46
08-21-2006, 03:32 AM
44woody, if possible could you remove the breech plug?. Then use an oversized bore brush with solvent to try and remove the bulk of the rust. Install breech plug and get as much naval jelly into the bore as possible and let sit for a few days. Remove breech plug and remove naval jelly. And then again clean with bore brush and solvent. Also you might want to fill the bore up with kerosene and let sit for a few days before starting to clean. You'd have to plug up the nipple with a piece of lead shot or heavy leather. Hope this helps. Frank

44woody
08-21-2006, 07:43 AM
thanks to all who have helpt me in this project sofar I put a 12 ga brush threw it ran some patches threw it then last night I filled it with edd's red and I am letting it soak right now next step I think I will do the electrollis thing with a battery charger and see how that will work again thanks for the help and on a side note this is what I like about this board every body will help when it is needed :castmine: 44Woody

KCSO
08-21-2006, 08:37 AM
I have two spare barrels for CVA rifles. Let me know what model and you might get lucky.

45 2.1
08-21-2006, 08:48 AM
You wouldn't happen to have a TC Hawken 45 cal 15/16" barrel complete as a spare would you.

versifier
08-21-2006, 12:11 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a TC Hawken 45 cal 15/16" barrel complete as a spare would you.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=HawkenRenegadeStyleRifles

This should do the trick.

Frank,
If it's rusted in, breech plug removal is likely to be impossible without damaging the barrel or plug. They are installed (at least at GMRB) with a special wrench that has a pair of 24" handles and reminds one of an airplane propeller, and it took a lot of muscle to install them even with the wrench. Maybe the CVA is not up to that standard (it certainly is not in many other ways), but it will be IMHO an easier job to simply replace the whole barrel assembly if the electrolysis is unsuccessful and/or the accuracy is no longer acceptable.

45 2.1
08-21-2006, 12:16 PM
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=HawkenRenegadeStyleRifles

This should do the trick.

I know about these and don't want to pay there price. This barrel is for testing only anyway. I'm looking for a T/C barrel.

44man
08-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Factory breechplugs are almost impossible to remove even with special wrenches. Best to have a new one on hand before trying. Chances are good the old one will need drilled out.
After getting as clean as you can, make a tight jag up with Scotch Brite and scrub the bore good. It just might shoot OK. The worst shooting muzzle loaders are the ones with super, super polished bores or chrome plated ones. Smooth is better then polished any day of the week.

joeb33050
08-26-2006, 03:32 PM
I have two spare barrels for CVA rifles. Let me know what model and you might get lucky.
I have a CVA rifle called a Hawken, made in Spain, and I need a barrel. Would one of yours fit?
Thanks;
joe b.